Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Global flexi fare cancellation is not showing a full refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2022, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

We have booked AKL-KIX/NRT-AKL, Economy Global flexi fare both ways. According to NZ this is fully refundable prior to departure, including when I click the fare rules link to Global Flexi provided in the cancellation summary. The fare is not upgraded from Global Sale or Saver - it was bought outright as Global Flexi at time of booking.

When I go to cancel it online NZ shows that only roughly 44% of each base fare will be refunded (perhaps reflecting refund of only one of the sectors and not the other?). Is this a bug in the system or is there some subset of Global Flexi which has not been published, or can anyone else identify a reason why a full refund is not showing? I would call NZ and ask but the irritating automated voice on the phone tells me that the wait is over 4 hours and suggests that I look on the website for their best fares.

Last edited by Top of climb; Dec 10, 2022 at 4:41 pm
Old Dec 10, 2022, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Top of climb
We have booked AKL-KIX/NRT-AKL, Economy Global flexi fare both ways. According to NZ this is fully refundable prior to departure, including when I click the fare rules link to Global Flexi provided in the cancellation summary. The fare is not upgraded from Global Sale or Saver - it was bought outright as Global Flexi at time of booking.

When I go to cancel it online NZ shows that only roughly 44% of each base fare will be refunded (perhaps reflecting refund of only one of the sectors and not the other?). Is this a bug in the system or is there some subset of Global Flexi which has not been published, or can anyone else identify a reason why a full refund is not showing? I would call NZ and ask but the irritating automated voice on the phone tells me that the wait is over 4 hours and suggests that I look on the website for their best fares.
As a new Elite, despite the recording saying 4 hours, my calls have been picked up un under 30 mins, sometime 10-15. I'd persevere to ask them what is going on.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Call 1 - disconnected after 3 hours because my cordless ran out of battery
Call 2 - no answer after 2 hours when I hung up to go to bed.
Call 3 - FINALLY Air NZ have introduced a callback option. Called back after 1.5 hours. Confirmed fares were fully refundable. Didn't know why website was showing otherwise.

Also is it just me or does anyone else find the voice of the person who does the automated greetings and prompts immensely irritating? She just sounds completely ineffectual. I miss the old phone system...
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
FWUW Air NZ have always had a callback option since since they moved to their new phone platform.

Fir pretty obvious reasons this can't work however when a call centre is totally swamped which is why it's not available all the time.
yourethegoose likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.