Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ Auckland International Lounge experiences

Old Oct 30, 19, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Iíve done a search and looked through many pages of search results, but didnít really see many recent posts or ones relevant to what the actual AKL International Lounge is like. Most threads deal with access or the overcrowding at certain times of day.

Iíve been to the SYD Koru Lounge and thought it was decent. Is the AKL Lounge much different? Is it nicer? Different food and beverage items than in SYD?

Iíll be departing on the UA AKL-SFO flight.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond
I have not been in the SYD lounge for about 20 years, but have been in many AC MLL's, a few UA lounges (not Polaris), many Priority Pass/Plaza Premium lounges, AKL lounges numerous times.

I find the food and beverage offerings in the AKL lounge to be plentiful and tasty. So much so that I always eat a full meal in the lounge before departing AKL-YVR so that I can sleep as soon as seat belt sign is off.
Lots different foods for varying tastes.

As for the crowding, it is hit and miss. When alone or just two of you, you will always find a spot to sit. Go through the glass doors at the end, usually quieter in there, or the theatre area to the left when you walk in.

Overall, I find the AKL lounge experience to be far superior to

Enjoy and let us know your comparison and thoughts.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
SYD is a great lounge but there's more food offerings in AKL IMO as pointed out in the previous post and bigger in size.
AKL has day beds in the lounge itself (not individual rooms with beds like the UA Polaris lounge) if you want to stretch out and relax but usually they are taken up as there are only about half a dozen. There's also a few swing chairs if you go 'outside' through the glass doors.

In terms of food there is a variety e.g. hot (soup, veg. curry, meat dishes - the menu changes frequently) and cold items e.g. wraps, salads, sandwiches, pasta, cheese and crackers.
You also have the food theatre section where you can see chefs prepare the daily special and order them - haven't used this though.

Plenty of wine, beer, spirits and non alcoholic drinks. Or you could walk up to the bar and order a kiwi martini ($)
Barista coffee is great. Bottom line is you won't go hungry.
Yes there is overcrowding during peak times (e.g. evening departures to the US and Australia) & school holidays, but not hard to find a spot to have a quick bite / drink. For the UA afternoon departure to SFO you should be just fine.

I will be in AKL (&SYD) lounge again next week so I could try take some pics of the food offerings.
I do recall seeing a dedicated seafood section in the SYD when I was there in June but don't think we have it here in AKL ? Seafood is not my thing so perhaps others could confirm.
Old Oct 30, 19, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, taupo & gambda. This is the sort of info that I was looking for. I am traveling solo this trip and my flight leaves at 3:30 P.M.

While I found the SYD lounge to be satisfactory, I found it to be more the norm. I’ve only been in that lounge during breakfast time and did not find the food that interesting.

I’m hoping for a nice selection of NZ wines at AKL. We were in Australia in August visiting some wineries and wound up bringing two cases back with us. On this trip, I’m hoping to learn a little about NZ wines.
Old Oct 30, 19, 4:40 pm

Its very similar to the Sydney lounge in decor, a bit brighter perhaps and its got a semi-outside area which I think was originally for plane spotting.

I am so so sick of the breakfast sausages that are there all the time in the morning and poor eggs, but the food is fine at lunchtime. I could be wrong as I don't drink much wine but I think its just one brand, Villa Maria? Which is OK. NZ does great Savs and Rieslings from the Marlborough region and some nice reds from down South. I personally like South Australian reds more then NZ but each to their own.

Yeah and the Barista coffee is very good there too

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 30, 19, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC:E - NZ:G-E - Virgin Australia: G - Hilton:G- AF:blue
If you have enough time, grab a cab and visit the Villa Maria Winery, only 5 min drive from AKL airport (you will need to clear customs tho)
Old Oct 30, 19, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Thank you, taupo & gambda. This is the sort of info that I was looking for. I am traveling solo this trip and my flight leaves at 3:30 P.M.

While I found the SYD lounge to be satisfactory, I found it to be more the norm. Iíve only been in that lounge during breakfast time and did not find the food that interesting.

Iím hoping for a nice selection of NZ wines at AKL. We were in Australia in August visiting some wineries and wound up bringing two cases back with us. On this trip, Iím hoping to learn a little about NZ wines.
They have an ok selection of wines, often hit and miss in my experience.

If you want to learn a little about NZ wine there's a good documentary out called "A seat at the Table"

If you want any recommendations on wineries to visit in NZ I'm happy to assist.
Old Oct 30, 19, 5:32 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
The Wines in the Lounge are often better than the wines inboard unless you are in business.
Old Oct 30, 19, 7:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
And related to wine, you can enjoy spotting the selfie crowd taking endless pictures of themselves drinking the awful Dulcet plonk they serve. Can be observed any time of the day or night!
ps107, cavemanzk, Fliar and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:47 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G (Elite), QF bronze, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
The Wines in the Lounge are often better than the wines inboard unless you are in business.
The wines in the lounge are definitely better than the wines onboard in Y and PE. With the exception of the horrible Dulcet sparkling wine, which is sadly served both on the ground and onboard.

The wine quality is a bit variable, especially the reds, but there's usually a reasonably wide selection (at least 3 whites, which tend to be more reliable) and 2-3 reds. Not all the wines are Villa Maria group but the majority are. It's worth doing a bit of sampling to find what you like (eg recently they have had a Misha's Vineyard riesling which though a touch sweeter than my usual preference is a really exquisite wine), and do some digging as there are a couple of different wine stations in the lounge and they don't always have exactly the same things. They also have a staffed cocktail bar, though the cocktails are pretty inexpertly made.

It's not a super impressive lounge but it's decent - and with the range of different zones, and slightly wider food and drink selection, I'd say it's a modest step up on the SYD lounge.
libertyuk likes this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
And related to wine, you can enjoy spotting the selfie crowd taking endless pictures of themselves drinking the awful Dulcet plonk they serve. Can be observed any time of the day or night!
LOL! Iíd not heard of Dulcet prior to this.

It seems like thereís at least one person who enjoys Dulcet:

https://www.wineoftheweek.co.nz/wine...ratory-dulcet/
Old Oct 31, 19, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
LOL! Iíd not heard of Dulcet prior to this.

It seems like thereís at least one person who enjoys Dulcet:

https://www.wineoftheweek.co.nz/wine...ratory-dulcet/
No one in their right mind would pay for a glass, and you can't - its exclusively made for Air NZ.
mad_atta and Fliar like this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
No one in their right mind would pay for a glass, and you can't - its exclusively made for Air NZ.

You can purchase a bottle now. Available at Glengarry.
Old Oct 31, 19, 5:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
'Wine of the weak' I would agree with, not sure about 'Wine of the week'
mad_atta and Fliar like this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by JayKiwi View Post
'Wine of the weak' I would agree with, not sure about 'Wine of the week'
dulcet

adjective
(especially of sound) sweet and soothing (often used ironically).

Search this Thread