Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Domestic Travel on NZ - From Alert Level2

Domestic Travel on NZ - From Alert Level2

Old May 6, 20, 10:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,785
Domestic Travel on NZ - From Alert Level2

https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-2/

As the rules for Alert Level 2 now allow domestic travel from level 2, which could be as early as next Thursday morning!

Will be interesting to see how fast NZ is able to re-act, and re-introduce capacity while keeping physical distancing going. Thinking next week maybe an very busy travel weekend with maybe some 787s on AKL-WLG/CHC?
cavemanzk is offline  
Old May 6, 20, 10:56 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,365
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-2/

As the rules for Alert Level 2 now allow domestic travel from level 2, which could be as early as next Thursday morning!

Will be interesting to see how fast NZ is able to re-act, and re-introduce capacity while keeping physical distancing going. Thinking next week maybe an very busy travel weekend with maybe some 787s on AKL-WLG/CHC?
Will be interesting to see.

Though right now would like to online usage of credits and splitting/merging credits. As want to spend the credits easily.

Also with my Status year coming up in Aug and want to see how things pan out a bit. Might wait a bit. Let other people figure out physical distancing at airports, boarding and on the plane.
nzkarit is offline  
Old May 6, 20, 11:03 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: bne
Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,051
Koru lounge

I wonder if the koru lounge and valet parking will open on level 2 ?
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.

Last edited by Beano; May 6, 20 at 11:26 pm
Beano is offline  
Old May 6, 20, 11:42 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NZ
Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
Posts: 365
Ive flown a couple of times for work.
The airports have been spooky.
More cleaning staff than passengers.
Fingers crossed.
No fast bag, but because you have two seats it doesn't matter !!!
bce1 is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 12:11 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,785
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
I wonder if the koru lounge and valet parking will open on level 2 ?
It would seem that ‘officially’ it would be allowed under level 2 rules, although the self service may be an no go, and limit of 100 people.

In an food premises you have to have table service, so just image an NZ lounge with an la cart menu....

Wonder how manny different cookie time cookies will be on the menu.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 2:01 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Zealand (when I'm home!)
Programs: Air NZ Elite
Posts: 786
In theory I would like to travel for pleasure again.

In practice I am unsure yet what the guidance is from the government.
​​​​​
Do they want domestic leisure tourism to resume and restart? Even if it is technically allowed, I won't travel until it is encouraged.

I am excited to take a trip again, if it is indeed encouraged rather than just tolerated. But I can foresee it being challenging to convince any travel partners to come with me, which is what will really hold me back, I definitely don't want to go alone.

It reminds me of what I was reading about in an article on Stuff today. Some cafes saw a huge rise in sales come week 1 of level 3 but then week 2 has so far been dead, as the novelty wears off.

People are used to their safe bubbles at home. Convincing them to be more adventurous is the new challenge...
kiwifrequentflyer is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 2:27 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,845
The Wellington CBD has been a lot quieter this week than last week in my experience . Lots of food places open but nobody around during the day.
sbiddle is online now  
Old May 7, 20, 4:27 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Will be interesting to see.

Though right now would like to online usage of credits and splitting/merging credits. As want to spend the credits easily.

Also with my Status year coming up in Aug and want to see how things pan out a bit. Might wait a bit. Let other people figure out physical distancing at airports, boarding and on the plane.
early June apparently for this functionality
kiwicyclo is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 4:09 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Posts: 1,236
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
In theory I would like to travel for pleasure again.

In practice I am unsure yet what the guidance is from the government.
​​​​​
Do they want domestic leisure tourism to resume and restart? Even if it is technically allowed, I won't travel until it is encouraged.

I am excited to take a trip again, if it is indeed encouraged rather than just tolerated. But I can foresee it being challenging to convince any travel partners to come with me, which is what will really hold me back, I definitely don't want to go alone.

...
My understanding of the "vibe" based on what the PM and what Stephen England Hall have said over the past 20 hours, is that its not just legal but its "OK" to travel for tourist/ leisure reasons in Level 2 and that we would be supporting the domestic tourism industry. But do it safely yada yada yada
oranjemakker is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 4:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: NZ Elite
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
In theory I would like to travel for pleasure again.

In practice I am unsure yet what the guidance is from the government.
​​​​​
Do they want domestic leisure tourism to resume and restart? Even if it is technically allowed, I won't travel until it is encouraged.

I am excited to take a trip again, if it is indeed encouraged rather than just tolerated. But I can foresee it being challenging to convince any travel partners to come with me, which is what will really hold me back, I definitely don't want to go alone.

It reminds me of what I was reading about in an article on Stuff today. Some cafes saw a huge rise in sales come week 1 of level 3 but then week 2 has so far been dead, as the novelty wears off.

People are used to their safe bubbles at home. Convincing them to be more adventurous is the new challenge...

One of my friends is so sick of her bubble that she wants to leave the house for the weekend and travel to Nelson with us for a wine trail weekend when we move to level 2. We're just hoping the airline will release some special fares.
I'm also thinking since ski season is starting soon, people would actually want to travel to those locations once we are on level 2. But the govt. will need to work out some measures specific to the ski industry under level 2 to encourage people to go.
gambda is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 4:55 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,365
They did say ski fields and golf not covered by 100 at outdoor event due the spread out nature of the sports in recreational setting.

Ski fields will need management around the chairs. Queue and say only same group on the one chair.
nzkarit is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 5:43 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-2/

As the rules for Alert Level 2 now allow domestic travel from level 2, which could be as early as next Thursday morning!

Will be interesting to see how fast NZ is able to re-act, and re-introduce capacity while keeping physical distancing going. Thinking next week maybe an very busy travel weekend with maybe some 787s on AKL-WLG/CHC?
I would be astounded if the airline put more than a handful of flights back into the system.
waterwingsNZ is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 5:44 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,785
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
They did say ski fields and golf not covered by 100 at outdoor event due the spread out nature of the sports in recreational setting.

Ski fields will need management around the chairs. Queue and say only same group on the one chair.
But then again, the amount of people in line for the chair left will be no longer than the line at your local countdown during level 4.....

As long as people are spaced out, it should be an probable.

I feel we will goto level 1 very fast, the pressure is mounting, and an election looming. Also the mainstream media is starting to turn against the lockdown, which is going to create allot of wide spread pressures.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 5:47 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Zealand (when I'm home!)
Programs: Air NZ Elite
Posts: 786
Yes, I saw that ski fields could open. Yesterday the press conference was a little confusing re local tourism, but the post conference clarification has made me fairly confident that the government does encourage local tourism again, on the condition it is "safe."

I.e. You travel to a place where you still are able to maintain social distancing from others.

With that in mind, I have a small road trip tentatively planned in two weeks. We will see if I get to take it!

No one I know is willing to get on a plane right now unless it was the only option.
kiwifrequentflyer is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 6:01 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 20
I'm flying from Auckland to Dunedin to see my son at Uni as soon as we hit Level 2, already missed two trips there since all this started.
And I'm going to book a trip to the Chatham Islands as soon as they open up the schedules to use the credit I've got from Air Chathams from when I was flying with them to Norfolk Island that was cancelled for late June.
Outbound24 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: