Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Domestic Travel on NZ - From Alert Level2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru

https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-2/

As the rules for Alert Level 2 now allow domestic travel from level 2, which could be as early as next Thursday morning!

Will be interesting to see how fast NZ is able to re-act, and re-introduce capacity while keeping physical distancing going. Thinking next week maybe an very busy travel weekend with maybe some 787s on AKL-WLG/CHC?
Old May 6, 2020, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk

As the rules for Alert Level 2 now allow domestic travel from level 2, which could be as early as next Thursday morning!

Will be interesting to see how fast NZ is able to re-act, and re-introduce capacity while keeping physical distancing going. Thinking next week maybe an very busy travel weekend with maybe some 787s on AKL-WLG/CHC?
Will be interesting to see.

Though right now would like to online usage of credits and splitting/merging credits. As want to spend the credits easily.

Also with my Status year coming up in Aug and want to see how things pan out a bit. Might wait a bit. Let other people figure out physical distancing at airports, boarding and on the plane.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Koru lounge

I wonder if the koru lounge and valet parking will open on level 2 ?
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.

Last edited by Beano; May 6, 2020 at 11:26 pm
Old May 6, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Ive flown a couple of times for work.
The airports have been spooky.
More cleaning staff than passengers.
Fingers crossed.
No fast bag, but because you have two seats it doesn't matter !!!
Old May 7, 2020, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beano
I wonder if the koru lounge and valet parking will open on level 2 ?
It would seem that ‘officially’ it would be allowed under level 2 rules, although the self service may be an no go, and limit of 100 people.

In an food premises you have to have table service, so just image an NZ lounge with an la cart menu....

Wonder how manny different cookie time cookies will be on the menu.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
In theory I would like to travel for pleasure again.

In practice I am unsure yet what the guidance is from the government.
​​​​​
Do they want domestic leisure tourism to resume and restart? Even if it is technically allowed, I won't travel until it is encouraged.

I am excited to take a trip again, if it is indeed encouraged rather than just tolerated. But I can foresee it being challenging to convince any travel partners to come with me, which is what will really hold me back, I definitely don't want to go alone.

It reminds me of what I was reading about in an article on Stuff today. Some cafes saw a huge rise in sales come week 1 of level 3 but then week 2 has so far been dead, as the novelty wears off.

People are used to their safe bubbles at home. Convincing them to be more adventurous is the new challenge...
Old May 7, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The Wellington CBD has been a lot quieter this week than last week in my experience . Lots of food places open but nobody around during the day.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Will be interesting to see.

Though right now would like to online usage of credits and splitting/merging credits. As want to spend the credits easily.

Also with my Status year coming up in Aug and want to see how things pan out a bit. Might wait a bit. Let other people figure out physical distancing at airports, boarding and on the plane.
early June apparently for this functionality
Old May 7, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer

​​​​​
Do they want domestic leisure tourism to resume and restart? Even if it is technically allowed, I won't travel until it is encouraged.

I am excited to take a trip again, if it is indeed encouraged rather than just tolerated. But I can foresee it being challenging to convince any travel partners to come with me, which is what will really hold me back, I definitely don't want to go alone.

My understanding of the "vibe" based on what the PM and what Stephen England Hall have said over the past 20 hours, is that its not just legal but its "OK" to travel for tourist/ leisure reasons in Level 2 and that we would be supporting the domestic tourism industry. But do it safely yada yada yada
Old May 7, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer

​​​​​

It reminds me of what I was reading about in an article on Stuff today. Some cafes saw a huge rise in sales come week 1 of level 3 but then week 2 has so far been dead, as the novelty wears off.

People are used to their safe bubbles at home. Convincing them to be more adventurous is the new challenge...

One of my friends is so sick of her bubble that she wants to leave the house for the weekend and travel to Nelson with us for a wine trail weekend when we move to level 2. We're just hoping the airline will release some special fares.
I'm also thinking since ski season is starting soon, people would actually want to travel to those locations once we are on level 2. But the govt. will need to work out some measures specific to the ski industry under level 2 to encourage people to go.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:55 pm

They did say ski fields and golf not covered by 100 at outdoor event due the spread out nature of the sports in recreational setting.

Ski fields will need management around the chairs. Queue and say only same group on the one chair.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk

I would be astounded if the airline put more than a handful of flights back into the system.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
They did say ski fields and golf not covered by 100 at outdoor event due the spread out nature of the sports in recreational setting.

Ski fields will need management around the chairs. Queue and say only same group on the one chair.
But then again, the amount of people in line for the chair left will be no longer than the line at your local countdown during level 4.....

As long as people are spaced out, it should be an probable.

I feel we will goto level 1 very fast, the pressure is mounting, and an election looming. Also the mainstream media is starting to turn against the lockdown, which is going to create allot of wide spread pressures.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Yes, I saw that ski fields could open. Yesterday the press conference was a little confusing re local tourism, but the post conference clarification has made me fairly confident that the government does encourage local tourism again, on the condition it is "safe."

I.e. You travel to a place where you still are able to maintain social distancing from others.

With that in mind, I have a small road trip tentatively planned in two weeks. We will see if I get to take it!

No one I know is willing to get on a plane right now unless it was the only option.
Old May 7, 2020, 6:01 pm

I'm flying from Auckland to Dunedin to see my son at Uni as soon as we hit Level 2, already missed two trips there since all this started.
And I'm going to book a trip to the Chatham Islands as soon as they open up the schedules to use the credit I've got from Air Chathams from when I was flying with them to Norfolk Island that was cancelled for late June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.