Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Domestic Travel on NZ - From Alert Level2

Domestic Travel on NZ - From Alert Level2

Old May 8, 20, 2:41 am

Programs: NZ Gold A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
I have just talked AINZ re flights I have booked in June that have disappeared. Very pragmatic answer was to wait till at least Monday/Tuesday to rebook as schedules not set yet and are changing all the time. Personally I think the message sent by Govt in terms straight to level 2 or level 2 in stages has sent mixed messages and unfortunately AIRNZ does not have real claritymuch like everyone else me thinks..
Old May 8, 20, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
I have just talked AINZ re flights I have booked in June that have disappeared. Very pragmatic answer was to wait till at least Monday/Tuesday to rebook as schedules not set yet and are changing all the time. Personally I think the message sent by Govt in terms straight to level 2 or level 2 in stages has sent mixed messages and unfortunately AIRNZ does not have real claritymuch like everyone else me thinks..
I have noticed that from Monday 18 May domestic flights seem to return, in very limited capacity.... I do wonder if NZ has an hint that level 3 maybe extended out to 11:59pm on Sunday 17th May?
Old May 8, 20, 3:09 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I got an email from them on what they are going to be returning to once we hit level 2:

It is important to be clear that during Alert Level 2, we will be running a limited schedule of only around 20 percent of our usual domestic services. We are excited to be returning to Queenstown, Invercargill and Blenheim in the South Island and Rotorua, Gisborne, Palmerston North, New Plymouth, Hamilton, Whangarei and Kerikeri in the North. This comes on top of the current services weve been offering to support essential service travel to and from Dunedin, Christchurch, Nelson, Wellington, Napier, Tauranga and Auckland.
Old May 8, 20, 4:47 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
I have noticed that from Monday 18 May domestic flights seem to return, in very limited capacity.... I do wonder if NZ has an hint that level 3 maybe extended out to 11:59pm on Sunday 17th May?
I am picking it will be to Monday 1st June. So level 3 will encompass Queens Birthday weekend.
Old May 8, 20, 9:46 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Stuff 17:16, May 08 202 Air New Zealand cancelling domestic flights booked for May, June

Cancelling, instead of moving pax to another flight with similar/close time, and then expecting passenger to pay more for the same, seems to be corporate pricing gouging

Cam Wallace said on Twitter you could rebook flight for same day, same fare (probably same route?) Unfortunately some important info wasnt relayed in the email sent out.

Its not a price gouging exercise.

I do expect travel to be more expensive in these times. Whilst Joyce may offer $19 fares from Mel - Syd, I dont think NZ is in the same financial position.
Old May 8, 20, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwicyclo View Post
I am picking it will be to Monday 1st June. So level 3 will encompass Queens Birthday weekend.
Or the public holiday just gets delayed until later on in the year, since its not the Queens real birthday anyway so loving it should be an issue.
Old May 8, 20, 3:39 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
I don’t understand what Air NZ are doing.
Most of the regional flights are clustered around the middle of the day.
They are next to useless to most business travellers, so who are NZ trying to service here?
It isn’t tourists or connections to international flights so surely it’s the domestic business community?
It is impossible to go to Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch and leave in early am and get home in late afternoon. Surely that is when you time flights. Why cluster them in middle of the days.
I have a lot of built up travel I need to do and none of the flights are suitable. It makes no sense to me. Presumably it makes some sort of economic sense to NZ.
Old May 8, 20, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bce1 View Post
I dont understand what Air NZ are doing.
Most of the regional flights are clustered around the middle of the day.
They are next to useless to most business travellers, so who are NZ trying to service here?
It isnt tourists or connections to international flights so surely its the domestic business community?
It is impossible to go to Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch and leave in early am and get home in late afternoon. Surely that is when you time flights. Why cluster them in middle of the days.
I have a lot of built up travel I need to do and none of the flights are suitable. It makes no sense to me. Presumably it makes some sort of economic sense to NZ.
Unless they havent loaded all the flights yet?

Although Ive been looking an 3 day weekend in ZQN (from AKL) it seems the only non-stop service is ex-AKL at 12:30, then the return leaves at 3.30pm. Hardly useful for an long weekend away, surely ZQN will be an domestic hit over the next month or two.

There is the option at leaving around 7am but via CHC and around $250 one way!

Really hoping that Jetstar will start back up at level 2, currently they dont have anything loaded until July.
Old May 8, 20, 5:03 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post

Really hoping that Jetstar will start back up at level 2, currently they dont have anything loaded until July.
Last I heard a week or so ago from a fairly good contact in Aussie was that JQ still have no plans to recommence any international nor NZ flights until after the end of the financial year which is the end of June - this is still the same as their announced plan in March when they shut down services.
Old May 8, 20, 6:40 pm

Also with flight timings consider physical distancing requirements. Spreading flights through the day reduces queues at check in & security. Additionally reduces staffing requirements so smaller work bubbles and easier to maintain physical distancing.
Old May 8, 20, 6:47 pm

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
My flights WLG-CHC-WLG late June are now showing a small increase in operating services since yesterday, was 1-2 flights per day, now up to 3-4.
The price point for Seat Only also dropped.

So It looks as if they may be making attempts to revise the schedule sufficient to meet a consolidation of existing bookings and obviously some allowance for an increase in demand. The latter must really be just a guess (park the algorithms...).
Old May 8, 20, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
My flights WLG-CHC-WLG late June are now showing a small increase in operating services since yesterday, was 1-2 flights per day, now up to 3-4.
The price point for Seat Only also dropped.

So It looks as if they may be making attempts to revise the schedule sufficient to meet a consolidation of existing bookings and obviously some allowance for an increase in demand. The latter must really be just a guess (park the algorithms...).
Its almost like they are expecting next to no demand, I expect they are doing to sellout very fast.
Old May 9, 20, 3:29 am

Programs: NZ Gold A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Had a Multistop HLZ/WLG/CHC/HLZ early June which was cancelled on Fri. Saw today some fllghts stood up rang and was rebooked same dates just a bit different times, no extra cost great since was originally non changeable. They did say the schedules are iindicative only at this stage depending on the decsion on Monday, still progress
Old May 9, 20, 5:14 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
Had a Multistop HLZ/WLG/CHC/HLZ early June which was cancelled on Fri. Saw today some fllghts stood up rang and was rebooked same dates just a bit different times, no extra cost great since was originally non changeable. They did say the schedules are iindicative only at this stage depending on the decsion on Monday, still progress
I assume that is why my flights haven’t been rebooked onto the schedule that shows at present. That said, I suppose those folks getting cancellations must be on routes which are relatively heavily booked and no amount of service adjustment will allow all the pax to travel.
Old May 11, 20, 10:34 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Hi Team,
Any word on lounge re-openings?

Search this Thread