Downgraded and RU's lost

Old Mar 20, 20, 12:40 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 4
Downgraded and RU's lost

Day 3 of isolation and thought I'd fill in the time asking for some advice.

I just returned from London this week on a NZ ticket, NZ1 LHR-LAX-AKL booked in Premium Economy. On both flights I'd lodged a RU (expire March 15th 2020) to go from PE to J, confirmed months ago when they had R class available. When I checked in, as expected I was informed I couldn't transit USA so I expected they'd send me via Asia in business or at the very least PE. The agent would only offer me EK economy, considering the circumstances and the fact the agent was receiving a lot abuse from other passengers I reluctantly decided to take it.

Since returning to NZ I emailed the elite team to see if I could get the RU's back and a refund on the fare difference (I'd payed $5600NZD) for half of the trip in economy. They've refused on both accounts and also said they don't do 'original route credit' worth 260APD and 440SP. Obviously now isn't the best time to call and argue but I feel a little ripped off. Anyone know what the policy is here, or the law as this is a NZ ticket purchased in NZ.
Lhkiwi is offline  
Old Mar 20, 20, 12:46 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,572
Had you looked at what other options were actually available? I mean EK economy may have been all available....

In my most recent situation, where arriving aircraft at AKL went unserviceable, so 24 hr delay me leaving AKL. I figured what reroute options were available and asked specifically for my preferred routing.

The route credit should be made as you asked though.
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Mar 20, 20, 2:00 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: bne
Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,007
Downgraded and RU lost

Originally Posted by Lhkiwi View Post
Day 3 of isolation and thought I'd fill in the time asking for some advice.

I just returned from London this week on a NZ ticket, NZ1 LHR-LAX-AKL booked in Premium Economy. On both flights I'd lodged a RU (expire March 15th 2020) to go from PE to J, confirmed months ago when they had R class available. When I checked in, as expected I was informed I couldn't transit USA so I expected they'd send me via Asia in business or at the very least PE. The agent would only offer me EK economy, considering the circumstances and the fact the agent was receiving a lot abuse from other passengers I reluctantly decided to take it.

Since returning to NZ I emailed the elite team to see if I could get the RU's back and a refund on the fare difference (I'd payed $5600NZD) for half of the trip in economy. They've refused on both accounts and also said they don't do 'original route credit' worth 260APD and 440SP. Obviously now isn't the best time to call and argue but I feel a little ripped off. Anyone know what the policy is here, or the law as this is a NZ ticket purchased in NZ.
What happened on the AKL to LHR ?
Did the upgrade go through ok ?
Beano is offline  
Old Mar 20, 20, 2:05 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite, HHonors Gold
Posts: 386
Originally Posted by Lhkiwi View Post
Day 3 of isolation and thought I'd fill in the time asking for some advice.

I just returned from London this week on a NZ ticket, NZ1 LHR-LAX-AKL booked in Premium Economy. On both flights I'd lodged a RU (expire March 15th 2020) to go from PE to J, confirmed months ago when they had R class available. When I checked in, as expected I was informed I couldn't transit USA so I expected they'd send me via Asia in business or at the very least PE. The agent would only offer me EK economy, considering the circumstances and the fact the agent was receiving a lot abuse from other passengers I reluctantly decided to take it.

Since returning to NZ I emailed the elite team to see if I could get the RU's back and a refund on the fare difference (I'd payed $5600NZD) for half of the trip in economy. They've refused on both accounts and also said they don't do 'original route credit' worth 260APD and 440SP. Obviously now isn't the best time to call and argue but I feel a little ripped off. Anyone know what the policy is here, or the law as this is a NZ ticket purchased in NZ.
You may be entitled to compensation under EU261 for the downgrade. Even though the UK has left the EU, it is still in the transition period where it is bound by EU regulations...
poopbunny, Beano and codyc1515 like this.
LyingFlat is offline  
Old Mar 20, 20, 2:58 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,576
I think you should call and argue. Even though you donít have a flight within 48 hours, the longer you wait the harder it will be. And Iíd definitely push for the upgrades back, compensation and ORC. If they still donít do at least something then just tell them youíll file a claim under EC261 as mentioned
NZ_Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:39 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PVG, FRA, SEA, HEL
Programs: UA Premier Gold
Posts: 3,663
For UK->NZ segments -> EC261/2004 applies, hence, 75% of the total fare of these segments need to be refunded by NZ.
NZ_Flyer likes this.
warakorn is offline  
Old Mar 20, 20, 3:47 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
What happened on the AKL to LHR ?
Did the upgrade go through ok ?
I flew this 2 weeks ago and applied APD to business as there was no R class at the time of booking. AKL-LAX cleared at the gate but LAX-LHR didn't clear, APD still haven't been redeposited but I assume this takes a few weeks?
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
For UK->NZ segments -> EC261/2004 applies, hence, 75% of the total fare of these segments need to be refunded by NZ.
Total fare without taxes was $5200, so I should expect 75% of $2600 for the one oneway downgrade? I expect their response will be it was outside their control but I'll give it a shot.

I regret hoarding 17,000APD now! Hopefully NZ comes back strong over the next few months.
Lhkiwi is offline  
Old Mar 20, 20, 3:58 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Posts: 2,297
Originally Posted by Lhkiwi View Post
I flew this 2 weeks ago and applied APD to business as there was no R class at the time of booking. AKL-LAX cleared at the gate but LAX-LHR didn't clear, APD still haven't been redeposited but I assume this takes a few weeks?

Total fare without taxes was $5200, so I should expect 75% of $2600 for the one oneway downgrade? I expect their response will be it was outside their control but I'll give it a shot.

I regret hoarding 17,000APD now! Hopefully NZ comes back strong over the next few months.
Won't be back strong at all in the next 12 months, yep im sitting on 7000apd
Rebound is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: