Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded and RU's lost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Downgraded and RU's lost

Day 3 of isolation and thought I'd fill in the time asking for some advice.

I just returned from London this week on a NZ ticket, NZ1 LHR-LAX-AKL booked in Premium Economy. On both flights I'd lodged a RU (expire March 15th 2020) to go from PE to J, confirmed months ago when they had R class available. When I checked in, as expected I was informed I couldn't transit USA so I expected they'd send me via Asia in business or at the very least PE. The agent would only offer me EK economy, considering the circumstances and the fact the agent was receiving a lot abuse from other passengers I reluctantly decided to take it.

Since returning to NZ I emailed the elite team to see if I could get the RU's back and a refund on the fare difference (I'd payed $5600NZD) for half of the trip in economy. They've refused on both accounts and also said they don't do 'original route credit' worth 260APD and 440SP. Obviously now isn't the best time to call and argue but I feel a little ripped off. Anyone know what the policy is here, or the law as this is a NZ ticket purchased in NZ.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Had you looked at what other options were actually available? I mean EK economy may have been all available....

In my most recent situation, where arriving aircraft at AKL went unserviceable, so 24 hr delay me leaving AKL. I figured what reroute options were available and asked specifically for my preferred routing.

The route credit should be made as you asked though.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Downgraded and RU lost

Originally Posted by Lhkiwi

I just returned from London this week on a NZ ticket, NZ1 LHR-LAX-AKL booked in Premium Economy. On both flights I'd lodged a RU (expire March 15th 2020) to go from PE to J, confirmed months ago when they had R class available. When I checked in, as expected I was informed I couldn't transit USA so I expected they'd send me via Asia in business or at the very least PE. The agent would only offer me EK economy, considering the circumstances and the fact the agent was receiving a lot abuse from other passengers I reluctantly decided to take it.

Since returning to NZ I emailed the elite team to see if I could get the RU's back and a refund on the fare difference (I'd payed $5600NZD) for half of the trip in economy. They've refused on both accounts and also said they don't do 'original route credit' worth 260APD and 440SP. Obviously now isn't the best time to call and argue but I feel a little ripped off. Anyone know what the policy is here, or the law as this is a NZ ticket purchased in NZ.
What happened on the AKL to LHR ?
Did the upgrade go through ok ?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador

You may be entitled to compensation under EU261 for the downgrade. Even though the UK has left the EU, it is still in the transition period where it is bound by EU regulations...
poopbunny, Beano and codyc1515 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I think you should call and argue. Even though you don’t have a flight within 48 hours, the longer you wait the harder it will be. And I’d definitely push for the upgrades back, compensation and ORC. If they still don’t do at least something then just tell them you’ll file a claim under EC261 as mentioned
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
For UK->NZ segments -> EC261/2004 applies, hence, 75% of the total fare of these segments need to be refunded by NZ.
NZ_Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beano
What happened on the AKL to LHR ?
Did the upgrade go through ok ?
I flew this 2 weeks ago and applied APD to business as there was no R class at the time of booking. AKL-LAX cleared at the gate but LAX-LHR didn't clear, APD still haven't been redeposited but I assume this takes a few weeks?
Originally Posted by warakorn
For UK->NZ segments -> EC261/2004 applies, hence, 75% of the total fare of these segments need to be refunded by NZ.
Total fare without taxes was $5200, so I should expect 75% of $2600 for the one oneway downgrade? I expect their response will be it was outside their control but I'll give it a shot.

I regret hoarding 17,000APD now! Hopefully NZ comes back strong over the next few months.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I flew this 2 weeks ago and applied APD to business as there was no R class at the time of booking. AKL-LAX cleared at the gate but LAX-LHR didn't clear, APD still haven't been redeposited but I assume this takes a few weeks?

Total fare without taxes was $5200, so I should expect 75% of $2600 for the one oneway downgrade? I expect their response will be it was outside their control but I'll give it a shot.

I regret hoarding 17,000APD now! Hopefully NZ comes back strong over the next few months.
Won't be back strong at all in the next 12 months, yep im sitting on 7000apd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.