Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status Extensions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I've got a conference in Vancouver in early June. That's not gonna happen--but it's unclear if it will be delayed or cancelled outright. It's not an annual event, so there is no "next year." As it's an academic conference, a 12 month delay won't work: many of the papers will be out of date by then. They could aim for Sept-November, but that would probably annoy as many people as it would please.

No tidy, perfect answers for any of this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:40 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by freemark
He did.
I can't quite figure out how NZ (& other organisations) are putting this date out there (June 30th) 3 1/2 months nof massive disruption and economic chaos.
Is there more information that the public are not being told that they can give this date?
They already know how sales have dried up and the rate of cancellation requests flooding in without sign of abatement.

Add to that travel restrictions (here and elsewhere) are still increasing not reducing, and unlikely to soften for months.

It isn't hard to figure out a massive cut in flights for at least a few months is sensible. NZ is keeping some international flights, which helps NZers currently overseas to return home. Presumably if the government wanted to maintain a minimum level of international flights (e.g. to assist with perishable cargo as well as repatriation) they could fund/charter some.

If it turns out Covid-19 is contained globally more quickly than anticipated, then more flights could be added earlier then 30 June. However, I'd expect a slow resumption in demand (particularly for international) as many people would be nervous for a while.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Well, nothing in my promotions folder and i guess i cannot contact Air NZ at this time given everything that is going on.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Qantas have just announced a 12 month status extension:

To give you one less thing to worry about right now, your Qantas Frequent Flyer Platinum status will automatically be extended for 12 months. The extension will be actioned in two phases - if your membership year ends:
  • between March and June 2020, it will be automatically extended by 27 March 2020; and
  • between July 2020 and February 2021, it will be automatically extended by 9 April 2020.
If you have more questions visit qantas.com/statusextension. There is no need to register or call the contact centre, we will take care of everything.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Qantas have just announced a 12 month status extension:

To give you one less thing to worry about right now, your Qantas Frequent Flyer Platinum status will automatically be extended for 12 months. The extension will be actioned in two phases - if your membership year ends:
  • between March and June 2020, it will be automatically extended by 27 March 2020; and
  • between July 2020 and February 2021, it will be automatically extended by 9 April 2020.
If you have more questions visit qantas.com/statusextension. There is no need to register or call the contact centre, we will take care of everything.
That is excellent news.

I have one pending retro claim that will take me over the line, but I don't even need that anymore and won't bother following up on it.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
And VA have followed suit. Not so generous but free status points every month for three months

Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:16 pm

Wow thats impressive from Qantas, they seem to be all over the evolving situation and are so proactive in pushing out comms and changes to allow customers to do things online
NZ_Flyer, poopbunny and kiwicyclo like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by poopbunny
That is excellent news.

I have one pending retro claim that will take me over the line, but I don't even need that anymore and won't bother following up on it.
If you’re aiming for LTG then I’d claim as its cumulative.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Thumbs up

Concerned about this as my elite status expires April 29 and I'm only about 50% of the way to 1350 points. I was intending on booking business return to the states just two weeks ago but obviously things have changed which prevent that from being realistic. Based on previous posts it sounds like I'm too many points away from the mark for them to extend things.

I also never seem to receive email updates from Air NZ either and am using an Outlook email.

And to those criticizing us for being concerned about our status: it is possible for us to both feel sympathetic for people who lost their jobs and simultaneously to care about losing our status. Many of us spend thousands each year to retain our status, and collectively Elites are one of the biggest sources of revenue for the airline. Simply talking about whether we will keep our status or not doesn't make us bad people.
drajknox and znsm like this.

Last edited by 0100; Mar 18, 2020 at 5:22 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
VA has now enhanced their free status credit offer and matched QF to extend status for 12 months. Now anything less than that from NZ would seem unacceptable.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...atus-extension
znsm likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 0100
Concerned about this as my elite status expires April 29 and I'm only about 50% of the way to 1350 points. I was intending on booking business return to the states just two weeks ago but obviously things have changed which prevent that from being realistic. Based on previous posts it sounds like I'm too many points away from the mark for them to extend things.

I also never seem to receive email updates from Air NZ either and am using an Outlook email.

And to those criticizing us for being concerned about our status: it is possible for us to both feel sympathetic for people who lost their jobs and simultaneously to care about losing our status. Many of us spend thousands each year to retain our status, and collectively Elites are one of the biggest sources of revenue for the airline. Simply talking about whether we will keep our status or not doesn't make us bad people.
Will earning SP on the credit card assist ?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
VA has now enhanced their free status credit offer and matched QF to extend status for 12 months. Now anything less than that from NZ would seem unacceptable.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...atus-extension
The automatic 12 month extension is a simple, easy to understand, and appropriate approach. Wish more carriers were this proactive.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
The automatic 12 month extension is a simple, easy to understand, and appropriate approach. Wish more carriers were this proactive.
just received an email. 12 month extension to my elite status from Air NZ.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
just received an email. 12 month extension to my elite status from Air NZ.
My email said giving me a banked year.

So if don't make it use banked year. If person makes elite they have a banked year for future use.

My status elite.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite, Krisflyer Gold, Qantas Gold
Just got an extra year as elite.
I need 53 by end of July to requalify, so if I get that then it looks like it retains as an additional banked year.

This is appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.