FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Status Extensions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2012492-status-extensions.html)

rich5011 Mar 11, 2020 10:28 pm

Status Extensions

What is the general opinion regards extending upgrades etc for elites and extending membership as several other airlines have done , its a bit unfair my UG are expring next month and i dont intend to fly right now.
any comments appreciated, i have emailed NZ but it just went into a bucket of a gazillion emails i suspect
I think Mr Foran could engender some real loyalty by extending this to there loyal fliers.

kiwicyclo Mar 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by rich5011 (Post 32172318)
What is the general opinion regards extending upgrades etc for elites and extending membership as several other airlines have done , its a bit unfair my UG are expring next month and i dont intend to fly right now.
any comments appreciated, i have emailed NZ but it just went into a bucket of a gazillion emails i suspect
I think Mr Foran could engender some real loyalty by extending this to there loyal fliers.

** Watching . . .

drajknox Mar 12, 2020 12:35 am

Absolutely agree - the only fair way to do it is to give all Elites the same extension, not on a case by case basis as nearly everybody will have the same travel downtime irrespective of their anniversary date - I’d earned approx half my required SP before even 2 months were elapsed and if a September trip goes ahead would easily requalify but planned travel that would have got me to another banked year has already been affected. My employer has essentially forbidden any overseas business travel and anybody who returns from personal international travel and has to self isolate for 2 weeks is supposed to use Annual Leave so international travel is realistically out for now. Given Air New Zealand’s noncompetitive business class prices if they annoy loyal elites I’m sure many people will go elsewhere - especially those who lose status and benefits. The current unavailability of R class for months on end even to Australia has made me feel that Elite status has recently been devalued and the increases in APD upgrade costs for Asia and the US has further devalued Elite status. Making it clear that the grass is greener elsewhere is usually not a great strategy and given the number of hotel and other loyalty programs which have already recognised and subsequently extended expiration for their elite customers it is clear that Air NZ either doesn’t have insight into likely Elite behaviour or doesn’t truly value its Elite Customers to the extent they say.

Thai-Kiwi Mar 12, 2020 12:45 am

I expect, unconditionally, an extension to my Jade status for another year ;)

In all seriousness, there is a $$ cost and I’m sure the bean counters are working the numbers for cost/benefit of G/GE extensions - although RUs might be a different story.

Trumpkin Mar 12, 2020 1:32 am

What could work well is to change from the SP gained in the last 12 months to determine status to say the last 15 months, although I suspect that implementing this will be non-trivial as I expect that all the code is likely to be hard coded with the re-qualification period being 12 months.

sbiddle Mar 12, 2020 12:59 pm

The world as we know it has now fundamentally changed and we're not anywhere near the bottom of the financial collapse yet. Bickering about status is rather pointless when many airlines realistically won't exist in a few months..

taupo Mar 12, 2020 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 32175322)
The world as we know it has now fundamentally changed and we're not anywhere near the bottom of the financial collapse yet. Bickering about status is rather pointless when many airlines realistically won't exist in a few months..

Totally agree except you forget which IBB you are on, FF status and what that brings is the ONLY thing that matters!

jeffrocowboy Mar 12, 2020 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox (Post 32172605)
Absolutely agree - the only fair way to do it is to give all Elites the same extension, not on a case by case basis as nearly everybody will have the same travel downtime irrespective of their anniversary date - I’d earned approx half my required SP before even 2 months were elapsed and if a September trip goes ahead would easily requalify but planned travel that would have got me to another banked year has already been affected. My employer has essentially forbidden any overseas business travel and anybody who returns from personal international travel and has to self isolate for 2 weeks is supposed to use Annual Leave so international travel is realistically out for now. Given Air New Zealand’s noncompetitive business class prices if they annoy loyal elites I’m sure many people will go elsewhere - especially those who lose status and benefits. The current unavailability of R class for months on end even to Australia has made me feel that Elite status has recently been devalued and the increases in APD upgrade costs for Asia and the US has further devalued Elite status. Making it clear that the grass is greener elsewhere is usually not a great strategy and given the number of hotel and other loyalty programs which have already recognised and subsequently extended expiration for their elite customers it is clear that Air NZ either doesn’t have insight into likely Elite behaviour or doesn’t truly value its Elite Customers to the extent they say.

ouch - especially when a blanket requirement for self-isolation is not a recommendation of the Ministry of Health

I am hearing rumours my workplace will also require self-isolation after personal travel - but most likely with the option to work from home (which many of can easily do)

HaaZe Mar 12, 2020 3:43 pm

So, while not NZ related, we've been offered extensions to our QR Gold/Platinum status.

More over in the QR forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...extension.html

Rebound Mar 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Other airlines have offered extensions, Air NZ should really do the same

nzkarit Mar 12, 2020 4:00 pm

Yep would be nice.

But also think first AirNZ should ensure they are still an airline in a year's time, with a route network worth having status on.

The ME3 know they will weather this as the govt will prop them up.

nzkarit Mar 12, 2020 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox (Post 32172605)
anybody who returns from personal international travel and has to self isolate for 2 weeks is supposed to use Annual Leave so international travel is realistically out for now.

Can they do that? If they are telling you not to come into the office surely they still need to pay you? As that is their choice and not yours. And given targeted to particular people isn't customary shutdown forcing people to take annual leave which has particular notice requirements.

Particularly if leave already approved before they introduced that policy?

rich5011 Mar 12, 2020 4:52 pm

NZ reply re status

doesnt really cut it and says all i need to know going forward , whilst i havent flown for a bit i have over many years been loyal to a fault hmmmmKia ora Richard

Thank you for your query in regard to your Elite status.

Our Loyalty Team will consider tier status on a case by case basis. They will look at travel booked and the amounts required to retain. You will need to advise us your plans closer to the retain date.

When you do this, can you please supply more details from your Airpoints account for security purposes. Please advise the following:
  • Full name
  • Airpoints number
  • Date of birth
  • Postal address
  • Phone number(s)
Richard, we look forward to being of assistance at that time.

Kind regards

Sue

Service and Support - Elite
Air New Zealand

rich5011 Mar 12, 2020 4:53 pm

Kia ora Richard

Thank you for your query in regard to your Elite status.

Our Loyalty Team will consider tier status on a case by case basis. They will look at travel booked and the amounts required to retain. You will need to advise us your plans closer to the retain date.

When you do this, can you please supply more details from your Airpoints account for security purposes. Please advise the following:
  • Full name
  • Airpoints number
  • Date of birth
  • Postal address
  • Phone number(s)
Richard, we look forward to being of assistance at that time.

Kind regards

Sue

Service and Support - Elite
Air New Zealand

drajknox Mar 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit (Post 32176112)
Can they do that? If they are telling you not to come into the office surely they still need to pay you? As that is their choice and not yours. And given targeted to particular people isn't customary shutdown forcing people to take annual leave which has particular notice requirements.

Particularly if leave already approved before they introduced that policy?

To add further detail I am employed by a District Health Board.
Their reasoning is that if you chose to leave NZ after 9th March 20 for personal travel you knew about potential self-isolation and hence your responsibility and must use Annual or Unpaid Leave unless exceptional circumstance. I’m not making any comment about the rights or wrongs of this just pointing out that for most it makes personal international travel less possible, hence impact on ability to earn SP.