Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

New Elite Airpoints Dollars upgrade rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Elite Airpoints Dollars upgrade rates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Yes, 10th article down on my Airpoints Update after the chance to buy a diary.
Nicely buried - and only view-able if you open the internet version of the update rather than the truncated version that pops though via my email.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Response from Air NZ - summarised in my words (it was quite a lengthy response and I appreciate it wasn't a stock standard response and they replied to me quite quickly - and it was what I expected but I felt I should probably voice my complaints/feedback and hopefully others do and there's strength in numbers etc):

1. Rates haven't gone up since 2009 and new rates reflect increased costs and increased demands
2. They've also decreased some rates and some rates have stayed the same so it's a balanced change...
3. Members were advised in the December Airpoints update and Air NZ have done Elite members a favour by giving almost 2 months notice to get in any upgrade requests before 10 February
4. New benefits were announced earlier this year - so you win some and you lose some
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
1. Rates haven't gone up since 2009 and new rates reflect increased costs and increased demands
Except, that I feel the average cost of a revenue Business Class fare has gone down since then!
NZ_Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
Response from Air NZ - summarised in my words (it was quite a lengthy response and I appreciate it wasn't a stock standard response and they replied to me quite quickly - and it was what I expected but I felt I should probably voice my complaints/feedback and hopefully others do and there's strength in numbers etc):

2. They've also decreased some rates and some rates have stayed the same so it's a balanced change...
3. Members were advised in the December Airpoints update and Air NZ have done Elite members a favour by giving almost 2 months notice to get in any upgrade requests before 10 February
4. New benefits were announced earlier this year - so you win some and you lose some

Thats pretty much a copy and paste of what I got. I replied that it made rates to Europe more expensive (or at least the same price) as CX or EK J (and quoted them some fares). Then they screenshoted the a bit of the air NZ website which showed the benefits of Elite. I then just booked a QF flight to Singapore.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
QF first on sale via Sydney for same price as NZ J for same dates in a few months to LHR - total travel time 3 hours longer away from home - as usually have 4 hr wait in Auckland.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: Air Points; NZ*E; Accor Platinum; QF Gold
Just had a look, 8K NZD for business in June WLG, SYD, SIN , LHR on QF. NZ was 7K for PE... Will contact QF and see if they will do a status match from Gold to Platinum, given i'm NZ*E on NZ. Here is hoping!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:32 pm

I sent an email off to Jeremy O'Brien and think everyone else who doesn't like this change should do the same, especially if you've got actual instances where you now book other carriers due to dilution of benefits and ongoing "enhancements"
What is his email address?

Like everyone else here, very disappointed by these changes. I fly mainly to the States on economy tickets, so having this benefit was about the only thing that made it bearable. I can understand an increase after 11 years but 55% for Houston Y-PE will definitely have me looking at other options.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: NZ *E
The other thing that irks me about this change is that in recent years NZ have been releasing more Star Alliance Business rewards space (I mean, sure it was 0 before so not hard to increase), meaning dead cheap redemption rates for folks on United Mileageplus, etc.

https://onemileatatime.com/air-new-z...-class-awards/
eg. this release of award space right during peak season
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by TravelMonkeyNZ
Just had a look, 8K NZD for business in June WLG, SYD, SIN , LHR on QF. NZ was 7K for PE... Will contact QF and see if they will do a status match from Gold to Platinum, given i'm NZ*E on NZ. Here is hoping!
I had a look at this on QF & NZ sites for a 28 day trip in J, April dep. $8k best QF (via Dubai) $8k best NZ (via HK) Couldn’t see the earn on QF but on NZ around 500 APD & SP.
Both PE fares not much different, both also very similar flight length.
Surprising, but I guess doesn’t address the APD upgrade issue.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
Originally Posted by freemark
I had a look at this on QF & NZ sites for a 28 day trip in J, April dep. $8k best QF (via Dubai) $8k best NZ (via HK) Couldn’t see the earn on QF but on NZ around 500 APD & SP.
Both PE fares not much different, both also very similar flight length.
Surprising, but I guess doesn’t address the APD upgrade issue.
But isn't it CX the second leg? So realistically your SP earn is only akl-hkg

QF you would earn the entire way and it would be 780 SC on QF if I recall right which is more than the 700 for gold

A full NZ to LHR fare is much much more expensive.... Using that strategy I could argue a QF/AY fare to LHR is cheaper at 6-6.5k and still QF the NZ - Asia legs similar to your NZ option
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NZJuniorDoc
QF you would earn the entire way and it would be 780 SC on QF if I recall right which is more than the 700 for gold
720 SCs on QFF for NZ to LHR on QF flights in business class (cheapest fares). Lower earning for the cheaper oneworld options (QF+AY, CX, CX+AY, MH).
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Status points on a upgrade Akl to Lhr

On a recent airport upgrade (a couple of days ago) cheapest economy to cheapest (one way) surprised to get
484 SP and 505 airpoints (posted even before the flight was completed)
That's 60% of the Airnz content requirement to maintain Elite !
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Hector99
It’s the new elite gift
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. So has NZ done away with the Elite Christmas gift? Or is that only for NZ-based Elites? This is my first year as Elite (qualified in September) and was vaguely expecting some kind of token gift... and all I got was this lousy devaluation of my newfound benefits.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:04 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Last Elite gift was 2017 from memory.. They they just never did them any more and in the first year decided to give a big gift to Airpoints for schools instead.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: AirNZ NZ*E
The rates are so steep now that oneup might have a strong chance of being successful cheaper. I would suspect a $900 oneup bid might be quite strong but given that would actually only cost $600 airpoints or $ to an elite it might be worth a shot on my next Chicago / Houston.
Beano likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.