Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

New Elite Airpoints Dollars upgrade rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Elite Airpoints Dollars upgrade rates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: NZ *G
I guess we can all agree these changes are bad for long haul travellers. Meh, it’s their airline so they get to set the rules. We either put up or shut up about booking future flights elsewhere.

My particular beef is the lack of comms - as an Elite I expect NZ to tell me about something as significant as this before I read it here. I don’t understand why NZ makes this so hard for itself.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Yep yet another slide in AIRNZ FF benefits but has been a pattern for a while now. On the upside they have been having some great deals of late which takes the sting out if somewhat.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
This is why my split my spend for LH
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Wow, could have had the common courtesy to notify the elites of moving the goal posts.
Must be needing to move some airpoints liability off the balance sheet. Good that AA are entering the market.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
That is a really harsh upgrade increase, to say the least. I earned enough APDs generally for my family and I to upgrade our flights, now I very much do not, so that will factor into whether I choose Air NZ heavily for flights now.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by Ellice
Wow, could have had the common courtesy to notify the elites of moving the goal posts.
Must be needing to move some airpoints liability off the balance sheet. Good that AA are entering the market.
I got a directed email advising me of the changes about 2pm yesterday?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
The old upgrade rates were about the only benefit that has kept me retaining Elite.... will move more of my flying to Asian alternatives.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, lot's of options.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
With the incredibly poorly though put move to scrap LHR and dated BP hard product this is only going to end up driving NZ and AU based HVCs to other airlines.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by Beano
Not entirely
Auckland to Chicago PE to BP was 480 ap now 890ap
85% increase
An 85% uplift in upgrade instrument burn rate is opportunistic and greedy when everything we know is taken into account. This is above average single-event burn uplift compared to most airlines. Yes, customers should expect uplifts, but big jumps upset loyal HVCs, end of story.

Just before Christmas, plus the LHR end-story and Dreamliner dramas - what absurd messaging to push at this time. Essentially a Christmas 'up yours' to HVCs, never mind the now-ancient history gifts.

This will influence change in pax purchasing policies for sure (will certainly change ours), and Air NZ would do well to run a u-turn on this, before they bleed lots of HVC pax.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Yes will definitely change my purchasing patterns. For example I need to get from AMS-AKL and was going to go NZ PE and use APD for upgrades and go via LAX. But for the cost of NZ PE + new APD rates it makes more sense to buy China Airlines via TPE in J (on A350’s and reverse herringbone seats).
Ellice likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Considering I bought a flight Auckland to Bangkok in business last week for 1250 airbucks, 890 for a one leg upgrade is completely outrageous. I will now aim very carefully to not get a single SP above requalifying (exclusively by domestic travel) and actively avoid flying NZ on long haul flights except for using my free upgrades.

i
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Considering I bought a flight Auckland to Bangkok in business last week for 1250 airbucks, 890 for a one leg upgrade is completely outrageous. I will now aim very carefully to not get a single SP above requalifying (exclusively by domestic travel) and actively avoid flying NZ on long haul flights except for using my free upgrades.

i
This is my greatest fear and I think we should all shut up about it. How long will this last!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Just booked 2 x QATAR Auckland to Edinburgh in business / Q suite for less than 2 x PE on Air NZ.

Big change for me. Sorry Air NZ. You made me do it!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Just booked 2 x QATAR Auckland to Edinburgh in business / Q suite for less than 2 x PE on Air NZ.

You’re probably better off completely switching to Oneworld and then just maintaining a Koru membership for domestic flying.

As a bonus you get to switch out those crowded NZ international lounges (with the ambience of a mall food court) with relatively serene QF First lounges

If I had a better option ex-SFO getting to AKL I would be abandoning NZ*E now (this just after earning a banked year on paid J fares)
Ellice likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo

Yep booked Emirates for Barcelona and Dubai and then later in the year Paris - was $700 more than Air NZ PE to London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.