Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Is the new AKL Regional lounge almost complete?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the new AKL Regional lounge almost complete?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019 | 5:00 pm

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
From September issue of Koru in the Know:
Construction of the brand new Air New Zealand Regional Lounge at the Auckland domestic airport is now in its final phase, with the completed lounge expected to open in November.

This last effort involves works in some of the current regional lounge space. To allow the build to progress, the lounge is operating at reduced capacity and during this time the food offering will be simplified and focused on member favourites.

At peak times guest and eVoucher lounge access will be restricted to reflect the space available.

Thanks for your understanding and patience as we get closer to completion of the brand new lounge. Once finished were sure you will enjoy the signature modern lounge design, tripled seating capacity and expansive views out over the runway.
Old Sep 19, 2019 | 6:47 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Standing room only in regional lounge or two food and drink vouchers..... no contest really ...... happily eating New Orleans chicken and onion rings on Air NZ!!

Host was great, they are clearly having a hard time from some of our fellow travellers which is a shame. Hardly the hosts fault.

just watched a well dressed suit who should have known better being rude....... he didnt get any vouchers!!!
Old Sep 24, 2019 | 10:18 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
4 oclock in domestic terminal. Regional lounge closed to new arrivals - one in/one out. Vouchers for coffee but all seats in regional terminal are full. Directed to domestic jet lounge. No seats, standing only.
i can see NZ rationing elite and gold status one way or another to manage the crowds.
Old Nov 13, 2019 | 8:03 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
New Auckland Regional Lounge opens this week

Finally,

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12285080
Old Nov 13, 2019 | 10:27 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by brucelee
I'm flying through AKL first thing Sat morning so hopefully it'll be open to visit.
mad_atta and brucelee like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019 | 2:41 am
50 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Love the increased size and expansive views. It does seem a bit sterile though - just rows of different types of chairs without much in the way of features to break up the space, or plants or other features to break up the hard surfaces.

Will be curious to see it in person in January.
Old Nov 14, 2019 | 2:43 am
50 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'm flying through AKL first thing Sat morning so hopefully it'll be open to visit.
Review and photos please!
Old Nov 14, 2019 | 6:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by brucelee
Hopefully it will take some load off the main lounge, presumably a lot of regional pax using the main lounge currently
Old Nov 14, 2019 | 6:20 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Hopefully it will take some load off the main lounge, presumably a lot of regional pax using the main lounge currently
Hopefully it will free up some space in the main lounge, so it can under go an refurb!

Why do NZs lounge projects take so long? they seem to be very slow moving etc.
Old Nov 14, 2019 | 9:51 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Hopefully it will free up some space in the main lounge, so it can under go an refurb!

Why do NZs lounge projects take so long? they seem to be very slow moving etc.
In line with their company of 5 years behind the market / we're a monopoly
Old Nov 15, 2019 | 12:09 pm
10 Years on Site

I'll write a bit more later on because I'm just about to catch my flight. Great lounge with great views. Layout having food and all drinks on opposite sides seems a little strange.

No small glasses so had to use wine glasses for water / juice, no showers just toilets, and no USB-C PD charging yet so modern laptop and Apple device owners still need to carry power adapters with them.
gratn and sopwith7 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019 | 2:48 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Bit disappointed as I used the truncated lounge for the last time yesterday lunchtime, but missed the new lounge opening by a day, too.
I guess I'll have plenty time to try the new upstairs lounge. I'll be very interested to see how long it takes to fill.
Old Nov 15, 2019 | 3:00 pm
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

No PD seems short sighted given its now in the NEOs

Views are good given the domestic longue had next to none
Old Nov 15, 2019 | 3:51 pm
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by nzkarit
No PD seems short sighted given its now in the NEOs

Views are good given the domestic longue had next to none
The PD ports in the NEO are pretty poor though - they only deliver 27W max so can't charge most laptops.

I suspect it's simply a case of electrical designers or architects simply not understanding the technology and simply thinking that USB is USB which is far from reality these days.

There are actually few few options for USB-C PD wall sockets in NZ/AU right now, the best option is the Legrand which has a double powerpoint with 60W USB-C PD. The best option would have been to have put some of these along the desks where the double power plugs are.
Old Nov 15, 2019 | 9:34 pm
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'll write a bit more later on because I'm just about to catch my flight. Great lounge with great views. Layout having food and all drinks on opposite sides seems a little strange.

No small glasses so had to use wine glasses for water / juice, no showers just toilets, and no USB-C PD charging yet so modern laptop and Apple device owners still need to carry power adapters with them.
Were you asking the staff about the power adaptors sometime between 7-7:30am?

It would be great if they had a few more hot food options.

Yeah nice views of the runway.

Alot of people are confused by the staff desk at the bottom of the at the stairs....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.