FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21-23 December Strike (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1944345-air-nz-engineers-threaten-21-23-december-strike.html)

Silver Fox Dec 7, 2018 6:53 am

Sounds like Air NZ took a gamble that they would not strike over Xmas and may have lost that bet.

brenrox Dec 7, 2018 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 30506807)
21 Dec will be a busy day - I have 2x lads flying DUD-WLG in the morning.

Am on the DUD-WLG evening flight on the 21st...this is such a **** thing for the union to do, but I can't see it going ahead, the ramifications would be huge.

oranjemakker Dec 7, 2018 1:44 pm

Whatever the merits or otherwise of their grievances this is such a vicious and nasty thing to do

Literally threatening to ruin Christmas for thousands of people

jawnbc Dec 8, 2018 1:43 am

Air NZ could bargain substantively and genuinely with them. Good on the union members for standing up for themselves.

kyanar Dec 8, 2018 1:48 am

We don't know for sure that they haven't been bargaining genuinely and substantively. Sometimes unions really do ask too much.

I'd be interested to hear from any union members present if they don't have some sort of non-disclosure.

b1m9t0 Dec 8, 2018 2:24 am

In a statement, the airline said the average wage of the staff in question was $115,000 a year - with some earning more than $150,000.

Its general manager of aircraft maintenance, Viv de Beus, said the staff have had year-on-year pay increases; and engineers got six weeks of annual leave, a car park, and recently had a $6,400 one off payment.

The airline said while the group has received pay increases annually for the past 12 years, it has so far rejected recent proposals including an immediate 2 per cent pay increase followed by a further 3 per cent increase after 12 months, with a further pay review in mid-2021.
Staff have also declined a proposal to standardise overtime pay to 150 per cent of regular pay rate (currently overtime is paid at a mix of double time and time-and-a-half), and a corresponding $6400 one-off payment to address the change in rate. Only some of this workgroup did regular overtime but the payment would be made to everyone employed under this collective agreement, the airline said.

Along with pay, claims on the aircraft maintenance engineers' side have included an extra week of annual leave for employees with five years' service (taking shift workers to six weeks a year), free reserved car parking spaces within 500m of their workplace, and the right to renegotiate terms just prior to the busy Christmas season again next year, the airline said.

In a statement, AMEA said the pay offer was unfair at a time when the airline was making substantial profits. It was less than the offers made to other employee groups at the airline and members felt insulted.

Good grief.

Silver Fox Dec 8, 2018 8:13 am

Originally Posted by b1m9t0 (Post 30511929)
Good grief.

I agree. It should be exactly the same as the annual increase that "execs" award themselves. Let's start with at least 7% immediately, and work upwards from that.

Kiwi Flyer Dec 8, 2018 10:11 am

Reminds me of the bad old days when ferry crew went on strike for school holidays.

fizzggg Dec 8, 2018 3:47 pm

We have a flight on the 21st connecting to a cruise on the 23rd. Checked out insurance and we won't get the full amount back for the cruise if we miss it. Called air NZ and they told us if we wanted to take the earlier flight it would cost nearly $2,000 extra as it was a voluntary change but we would get a refund of this if they do strike. What would you do? Pay the extra or wait and see. Anyone thinking this will be resolved on Monday?

kiwifrequentflyer Dec 8, 2018 4:12 pm

Everyone will have their own risk tolerances. I know I would change the flights but I strongly value my time over money.

jeffrocowboy Dec 8, 2018 4:36 pm

I would have thought your travel insurance would meet costs for flights on another airline if the strike is happening - you have an event (the cruise) that you need to get to?

That said, alternative flights might be hard to sort at short notice if there is a strike happening and the insurance company would be unlikely to pay up in advance.

Beano Dec 8, 2018 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by fizzggg (Post 30513773)
We have a flight on the 21st connecting to a cruise on the 23rd. Checked out insurance and we won't get the full amount back for the cruise if we miss it. Called air NZ and they told us if we wanted to take the earlier flight it would cost nearly $2,000 extra as it was a voluntary change but we would get a refund of this if they do strike. What would you do? Pay the extra or wait and see. Anyone thinking this will be resolved on Monday?

how much to buy a fully refundable ticket on another airline ?

nzkarit Dec 8, 2018 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Beano (Post 30514039)
how much to buy a fully refundable ticket on another airline ?

On an airline which doesn't use AirNZ Ground Engineers

Thai-Kiwi Dec 8, 2018 7:11 pm

When I read the news story, I made two additional fully refundable bookings DUD-WLG on earlier dates for my 2 lads. They are 'lucky' to have such flexibility, I can imagine that many travellers don't.

This was done to cover the situation where (if) alternate flights were offered but we decided that they were unsuitable for some reason, then we could take a refund and use these contingency tickets instead. Their current tix are Seat+Bag and so not usually refundable.

Kiwi Flyer Dec 8, 2018 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by fizzggg (Post 30513773)

Welcome to Flyer Talk fizzggg :)

Where are you flying on 21st? Some NZ flights may be fairly easily resolved in the event of the strike occurring (e.g. Tauranga to Auckland - book rental car instead), while others could be very difficult due to lack of alternative flights on other airlines.