FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21-23 December Strike (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1944345-air-nz-engineers-threaten-21-23-december-strike.html)

freemark Dec 6, 2018 3:08 pm

Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21-23 December Strike

Union wants strike to cause maximum disruption. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12172849
Lots of Akl-Wgtn Rtn travel booked either side of this for self, partner, daughters.
I imagine this will bleed into the "Crowded Lounges" threads.

Thai-Kiwi Dec 6, 2018 4:04 pm

21 Dec will be a busy day - I have 2x lads flying DUD-WLG in the morning.

Online chat staff simply noted that IF a strike proceeds then Contact Centre will reach out to affected passengers, although it was not clear if that contact would be with a solution (eg alternative day, same day alt route on ATR etc).

Until then, the usual fees for changes apply if one wanted to take the initiative to de-risk things.

curioustill Dec 6, 2018 4:13 pm

NZH with their clickbait again. I'm travelling on December 23 and assumed I would be affected too. Why not just title it "Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21 December Strike"

sbiddle Dec 6, 2018 4:20 pm

I see pretty much zero chance of it going ahead. The public backlash against the union is already in motion.

The implications and backlash over a full day strike that would essentially ground the airline would be too big for the union to cope with. That's precisely why Air NZ are effectively calling their bluff and going on the attack.

kyanar Dec 6, 2018 6:09 pm

Well, it's not without precedent. Recall when Joyce grounded the entire QF fleet in a standoff against their union? It worked out spectacularly for them.

Beano Dec 6, 2018 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar (Post 30507178)
Well, it's not without precedent. Recall when Joyce grounded the entire QF fleet in a standoff against their union? It worked out spectacularly for them.

Remind us what actually happen after that ?

Rebound Dec 6, 2018 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Beano (Post 30507547)

He locked them out of work didn't he?

freemark Dec 6, 2018 10:26 pm

Payback

Unions bought this Govt, now it’s payback time. On the face of the Airline side of the story the Engineers are pretty well looked after. Hi risk bargaining strategy and yes I agree AirNZ may well call the bluff. Mr Luxton seems well onside with Govt however. Should we expect further diminished Airpoints benefits if they get their way?

NZ_Flyer Dec 6, 2018 11:01 pm

Just have to wait and see. An inconvenience for those flying if it goes ahead but I’m sure NZ have contingency plans in case for this.

jawnbc Dec 6, 2018 11:05 pm

*eyeroll*

Originally Posted by freemark (Post 30507803)
Unions bought this Govt, now it’s payback time. On the face of the Airline side of the story the Engineers are pretty well looked after. Hi risk bargaining strategy and yes I agree AirNZ may well call the bluff. Mr Luxton seems well onside with Govt however. Should we expect further diminished Airpoints benefits if they get their way?

edmm Dec 6, 2018 11:51 pm

We're flying to Sydney that day, the tickets were very expensive. All I want to know is that Air NZ will look after us properly if we are disrupted, but judging by their performance with all the other disruptions we've experienced in the past year I'm not holding out much hope.

kyanar Dec 7, 2018 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Beano (Post 30507547)

Fair Work terminated the strike and lockout, and then rejected the union demands. Qantas won.

Personally, I have a BNE bound flight via AKL on 23rd/24th so who knows if I'll be affected.

codyc1515 Dec 7, 2018 2:34 am

You may be able to claim compensation from Air NZ if your domestic flight is cancelled or delayed, under Civil Aviation legislation.

b1m9t0 Dec 7, 2018 2:48 am

I'm flying AKL-WEL on the 21st so would be affected. Not that big a deal for me personally but given what I have read and heard on the radio about the engineers I would be fuming if it goes ahead. Public opinion definitely seems to be against the union and I think they have screwed up big time by trying to do this on what is probably one of the busiest travel days of the year.

NZbutterfly Dec 7, 2018 6:38 am

Always 2 sides to the story...

(Had issues posting from NZ Herald source)

"This is not just about pay. It's about repeated proposals by the airline weeks out from Christmas to pay them less than colleagues who have already settled and to cut into key conditions, including overtime rates.

"This affects line and hangar engineers, but also store workers and aircraft cleaners, who are covered by the same document and who are struggling to get ahead," he said.

Cuts to pay or other conditions don’t generally go down well although I dislike them aiming for Xmas and maximal disruption.

I thought Luxon hired a company to mediate this type of stuff or at least that’s what I’d read previously.

Anyway, still time to sort and abort.