FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21-23 December Strike (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1944345-air-nz-engineers-threaten-21-23-december-strike.html)

freemark Dec 6, 2018 3:08 pm

Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21-23 December Strike

Union wants strike to cause maximum disruption. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12172849
Lots of Akl-Wgtn Rtn travel booked either side of this for self, partner, daughters.
I imagine this will bleed into the "Crowded Lounges" threads.

Thai-Kiwi Dec 6, 2018 4:04 pm

21 Dec will be a busy day - I have 2x lads flying DUD-WLG in the morning.

Online chat staff simply noted that IF a strike proceeds then Contact Centre will reach out to affected passengers, although it was not clear if that contact would be with a solution (eg alternative day, same day alt route on ATR etc).

Until then, the usual fees for changes apply if one wanted to take the initiative to de-risk things.

curioustill Dec 6, 2018 4:13 pm

NZH with their clickbait again. I'm travelling on December 23 and assumed I would be affected too. Why not just title it "Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21 December Strike"

sbiddle Dec 6, 2018 4:20 pm

I see pretty much zero chance of it going ahead. The public backlash against the union is already in motion.

The implications and backlash over a full day strike that would essentially ground the airline would be too big for the union to cope with. That's precisely why Air NZ are effectively calling their bluff and going on the attack.

kyanar Dec 6, 2018 6:09 pm

Well, it's not without precedent. Recall when Joyce grounded the entire QF fleet in a standoff against their union? It worked out spectacularly for them.

Beano Dec 6, 2018 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar (Post 30507178)
Well, it's not without precedent. Recall when Joyce grounded the entire QF fleet in a standoff against their union? It worked out spectacularly for them.

Remind us what actually happen after that ?

Rebound Dec 6, 2018 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Beano (Post 30507547)

He locked them out of work didn't he?

freemark Dec 6, 2018 10:26 pm

Payback

Unions bought this Govt, now it’s payback time. On the face of the Airline side of the story the Engineers are pretty well looked after. Hi risk bargaining strategy and yes I agree AirNZ may well call the bluff. Mr Luxton seems well onside with Govt however. Should we expect further diminished Airpoints benefits if they get their way?

NZ_Flyer Dec 6, 2018 11:01 pm

Just have to wait and see. An inconvenience for those flying if it goes ahead but I’m sure NZ have contingency plans in case for this.

jawnbc Dec 6, 2018 11:05 pm

*eyeroll*

Originally Posted by freemark (Post 30507803)
Unions bought this Govt, now it’s payback time. On the face of the Airline side of the story the Engineers are pretty well looked after. Hi risk bargaining strategy and yes I agree AirNZ may well call the bluff. Mr Luxton seems well onside with Govt however. Should we expect further diminished Airpoints benefits if they get their way?

edmm Dec 6, 2018 11:51 pm

We're flying to Sydney that day, the tickets were very expensive. All I want to know is that Air NZ will look after us properly if we are disrupted, but judging by their performance with all the other disruptions we've experienced in the past year I'm not holding out much hope.

kyanar Dec 7, 2018 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Beano (Post 30507547)

Fair Work terminated the strike and lockout, and then rejected the union demands. Qantas won.

Personally, I have a BNE bound flight via AKL on 23rd/24th so who knows if I'll be affected.

codyc1515 Dec 7, 2018 2:34 am

You may be able to claim compensation from Air NZ if your domestic flight is cancelled or delayed, under Civil Aviation legislation.

b1m9t0 Dec 7, 2018 2:48 am

I'm flying AKL-WEL on the 21st so would be affected. Not that big a deal for me personally but given what I have read and heard on the radio about the engineers I would be fuming if it goes ahead. Public opinion definitely seems to be against the union and I think they have screwed up big time by trying to do this on what is probably one of the busiest travel days of the year.

NZbutterfly Dec 7, 2018 6:38 am

Always 2 sides to the story...

(Had issues posting from NZ Herald source)

"This is not just about pay. It's about repeated proposals by the airline weeks out from Christmas to pay them less than colleagues who have already settled and to cut into key conditions, including overtime rates.

"This affects line and hangar engineers, but also store workers and aircraft cleaners, who are covered by the same document and who are struggling to get ahead," he said.

Cuts to pay or other conditions don’t generally go down well although I dislike them aiming for Xmas and maximal disruption.

I thought Luxon hired a company to mediate this type of stuff or at least that’s what I’d read previously.

Anyway, still time to sort and abort.

Silver Fox Dec 7, 2018 6:53 am

Sounds like Air NZ took a gamble that they would not strike over Xmas and may have lost that bet.

brenrox Dec 7, 2018 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 30506807)
21 Dec will be a busy day - I have 2x lads flying DUD-WLG in the morning.

Am on the DUD-WLG evening flight on the 21st...this is such a **** thing for the union to do, but I can't see it going ahead, the ramifications would be huge.

oranjemakker Dec 7, 2018 1:44 pm

Whatever the merits or otherwise of their grievances this is such a vicious and nasty thing to do

Literally threatening to ruin Christmas for thousands of people

jawnbc Dec 8, 2018 1:43 am

Air NZ could bargain substantively and genuinely with them. Good on the union members for standing up for themselves.

kyanar Dec 8, 2018 1:48 am

We don't know for sure that they haven't been bargaining genuinely and substantively. Sometimes unions really do ask too much.

I'd be interested to hear from any union members present if they don't have some sort of non-disclosure.

b1m9t0 Dec 8, 2018 2:24 am

In a statement, the airline said the average wage of the staff in question was $115,000 a year - with some earning more than $150,000.

Its general manager of aircraft maintenance, Viv de Beus, said the staff have had year-on-year pay increases; and engineers got six weeks of annual leave, a car park, and recently had a $6,400 one off payment.

The airline said while the group has received pay increases annually for the past 12 years, it has so far rejected recent proposals including an immediate 2 per cent pay increase followed by a further 3 per cent increase after 12 months, with a further pay review in mid-2021.
Staff have also declined a proposal to standardise overtime pay to 150 per cent of regular pay rate (currently overtime is paid at a mix of double time and time-and-a-half), and a corresponding $6400 one-off payment to address the change in rate. Only some of this workgroup did regular overtime but the payment would be made to everyone employed under this collective agreement, the airline said.

Along with pay, claims on the aircraft maintenance engineers' side have included an extra week of annual leave for employees with five years' service (taking shift workers to six weeks a year), free reserved car parking spaces within 500m of their workplace, and the right to renegotiate terms just prior to the busy Christmas season again next year, the airline said.

In a statement, AMEA said the pay offer was unfair at a time when the airline was making substantial profits. It was less than the offers made to other employee groups at the airline and members felt insulted.

Good grief.

Silver Fox Dec 8, 2018 8:13 am

Originally Posted by b1m9t0 (Post 30511929)
Good grief.

I agree. It should be exactly the same as the annual increase that "execs" award themselves. Let's start with at least 7% immediately, and work upwards from that.

Kiwi Flyer Dec 8, 2018 10:11 am

Reminds me of the bad old days when ferry crew went on strike for school holidays.

fizzggg Dec 8, 2018 3:47 pm

We have a flight on the 21st connecting to a cruise on the 23rd. Checked out insurance and we won't get the full amount back for the cruise if we miss it. Called air NZ and they told us if we wanted to take the earlier flight it would cost nearly $2,000 extra as it was a voluntary change but we would get a refund of this if they do strike. What would you do? Pay the extra or wait and see. Anyone thinking this will be resolved on Monday?

kiwifrequentflyer Dec 8, 2018 4:12 pm

Everyone will have their own risk tolerances. I know I would change the flights but I strongly value my time over money.

jeffrocowboy Dec 8, 2018 4:36 pm

I would have thought your travel insurance would meet costs for flights on another airline if the strike is happening - you have an event (the cruise) that you need to get to?

That said, alternative flights might be hard to sort at short notice if there is a strike happening and the insurance company would be unlikely to pay up in advance.

Beano Dec 8, 2018 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by fizzggg (Post 30513773)
We have a flight on the 21st connecting to a cruise on the 23rd. Checked out insurance and we won't get the full amount back for the cruise if we miss it. Called air NZ and they told us if we wanted to take the earlier flight it would cost nearly $2,000 extra as it was a voluntary change but we would get a refund of this if they do strike. What would you do? Pay the extra or wait and see. Anyone thinking this will be resolved on Monday?

how much to buy a fully refundable ticket on another airline ?

nzkarit Dec 8, 2018 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Beano (Post 30514039)
how much to buy a fully refundable ticket on another airline ?

On an airline which doesn't use AirNZ Ground Engineers

Thai-Kiwi Dec 8, 2018 7:11 pm

When I read the news story, I made two additional fully refundable bookings DUD-WLG on earlier dates for my 2 lads. They are 'lucky' to have such flexibility, I can imagine that many travellers don't.

This was done to cover the situation where (if) alternate flights were offered but we decided that they were unsuitable for some reason, then we could take a refund and use these contingency tickets instead. Their current tix are Seat+Bag and so not usually refundable.

Kiwi Flyer Dec 8, 2018 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by fizzggg (Post 30513773)

Welcome to Flyer Talk fizzggg :)

Where are you flying on 21st? Some NZ flights may be fairly easily resolved in the event of the strike occurring (e.g. Tauranga to Auckland - book rental car instead), while others could be very difficult due to lack of alternative flights on other airlines.

Kiwi Flyer Dec 8, 2018 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 30514262)
When I read the news story, I made two additional fully refundable bookings DUD-WLG on earlier dates for my 2 lads. They are 'lucky' to have such flexibility, I can imagine that many travellers don't.

This was done to cover the situation where (if) alternate flights were offered but we decided that they were unsuitable for some reason, then we could take a refund and use these contingency tickets instead. Their current tix are Seat+Bag and so not usually refundable.

In my case earlier dates isn't an option. I may have to book Jetstar as my contingency (NZ being separate ticket to international on another airline).

graham_d Dec 9, 2018 1:43 am

Originally Posted by kyanar (Post 30511869)
We don't know for sure that they haven't been bargaining genuinely and substantively. Sometimes unions really do ask too much.

I'd be interested to hear from any union members present if they don't have some sort of non-disclosure.

Agreed, there is much discussion of what they already get but not of how they get it.
The numbers mentioned appear attractive, however this is a skilled trade and these incomes are now unheard of in similar fields.
The work done is often out of hours, weekends, public holidays and on call (the most hated work condition to many).
The skills are internationally transferable and international rates of pay have to be considered (just like a CEO compares their own remuneration to some other CEO in the US).
Only those at the table really know the score, if the engineers are being greedy or management too stingy.
Hopefully this will be resolved soon so people can be where they need to be.

Possibly not relevant but reminds me of a quote, "you think hiring a good tech is expensive, try hiring a cheap one!"

poopbunny Dec 9, 2018 12:52 pm

Part of the problem is the high 'progressive' income tax. Whatever hourly premium the airline is offering is wiped or significantly reduced once you take into account, the overtime is mostly likely taxed at the highest income tax bracket. Workers may value their time over incremental net pay. I don't see this left-wing union friendly government reducing income taxes or adjusting the income tax bracket creep in a hurry.

oranjemakker Dec 9, 2018 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by graham_d (Post 30514817)
Agreed, there is much discussion of what they already get but not of how they get it.
The numbers mentioned appear attractive, however this is a skilled trade and these incomes are now unheard of in similar fields.
The work done is often out of hours, weekends, public holidays and on call (the most hated work condition to many).
The skills are internationally transferable and international rates of pay have to be considered (just like a CEO compares their own remuneration to some other CEO in the US).
Only those at the table really know the score, if the engineers are being greedy or management too stingy.
Hopefully this will be resolved soon so people can be where they need to be.

Possibly not relevant but reminds me of a quote, "you think hiring a good tech is expensive, try hiring a cheap one!"

You may be correct and they may be deserving, I have no idea. But the tactics being employed by the union are IMO appalling, and do them no credit. This is not a group of working class people hard up before Xmas. However, many of the people affected will be, saving up for flights to see their families at Xmas etc. They are not like many of us on this forum who have options, like booking flexidates etc . The optics are not in the Union's favour here. And if there is a strike and the government does not say anything, I can't see them coming out of this smelling like roses either.

jawnbc Dec 9, 2018 5:25 pm

High progressive income tax? In New Zealand?

Originally Posted by poopbunny (Post 30516227)
Part of the problem is the high 'progressive' income tax. Whatever hourly premium the airline is offering is wiped or significantly reduced once you take into account, the overtime is mostly likely taxed at the highest income tax bracket. Workers may value their time over incremental net pay. I don't see this left-wing union friendly government reducing income taxes or adjusting the income tax bracket creep in a hurry.

kiwifrequentflyer Dec 9, 2018 5:30 pm

Really guys? Is this thread going to turn into a political debate? On an airline forum?

wayoutwest Dec 9, 2018 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 30516414)
You may be correct and they may be deserving, I have no idea. But the tactics being employed by the union are IMO appalling, and do them no credit. This is not a group of working class people hard up before Xmas. However, many of the people affected will be, saving up for flights to see their families at Xmas etc. They are not like many of us on this forum who have options, like booking flexidates etc . The optics are not in the Union's favour here. And if there is a strike and the government does not say anything, I can't see them coming out of this smelling like roses either.

How else do workers get their message across? If NZ stopped all the crazy after videos they may be Able to then say they saving money but while the boss is chasing autographs it will not happen. Go the workers and do it for a week

Kiwi Flyer Dec 10, 2018 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 30514340)
In my case earlier dates isn't an option. I may have to book Jetstar as my contingency (NZ being separate ticket to international on another airline).

Now I've had a chance to look at the limited options with my lack of flexibility I've bitten the bullet and rebooked on JQ. I can't afford to miss my international flight and JQ flights are fairly full so waiting until I know for sure there is a strike may be too late. I even looked into openjaw via Australia on QF but the JQ option was better for me.

So 1 booking down for NZ already. If strike dates extend over Christmas period then I'll have other NZ bookings to look at replacing.

smanch Dec 10, 2018 1:07 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit (Post 30514188)
On an airline which doesn't use AirNZ Ground Engineers

Does anyone know which airlines use NZ engineers? I'm flying UA AKL-SFO and wondered if it'd be affected if the strike moves ahead.

Thai-Kiwi Dec 10, 2018 2:24 am

The intended strike is specific to Air NZ flights as far as I can tell, so other carriers that 'buy' services from Air NZ engineering would, I presume, continue unaffected.

Caveat: my presumptions have been wrong before.