Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trent woes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
NZ246 DPS -> AKL on 789 today has been cancelled. Presume NZ245 which should've just left has been as well? Although this isn't showing to me just yet
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: Nz*G
Hmm, I am returning from iah on 789 in J on 4th May, was looking forward to long haul J in the new configuration 789! Any ideas if this will change ?

also my confirmed J was an apd upgrade applied mid last year which confirmed straight away, will a swap to 772 affect this in any way?!

These Trent issues must be a nightmare for the airlines.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Lpmnz
Hmm, I am returning from iah on 789 in J on 4th May, was looking forward to long haul J in the new configuration 789! Any ideas if this will change ?

also my confirmed J was an apd upgrade applied mid last year which confirmed straight away, will a swap to 772 affect this in any way?!

These Trent issues must be a nightmare for the airlines.
The newer layout V2 789's with more J seats have been operating on the IAH route and have the newer (no problems as yet) engines. I would guess even with an equipment swap you will be ok as they have 27 J seats vs 772 at 26
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:42 pm

6500 customers affect apparently:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...-engine-issues

With this new round of 787 how will this affect the CHC flights?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Three of us are meant to be on NZ28 this Monday 23 April. Flight is now showing a 3 hour 30 minute delayed departure but isn't cancelled ... does this mean we should not be worried? Or more worried? We're already missing our onward IAH-BOS connection but I'm wondering if I should try to get them to change our route entirely to make sure we can get back to Boston on schedule.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
My AKL-DPS this weekend flight said call for more info, now back up as planned.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Shunted my NZ28 as far out as June 2nd to 730 pm too
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Being proactive is a good idea. Hopefully NZ works with it.

Would be interesting to know if they will accommodate requests for reroutes or if they think they're still getting you there within a reasonable time frame and deny a reroute.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Cancelled our Adelaide flight this weekend. We weren't notified but it showed up on my NZ app. I rang and got through after 2 attempts and 45 minutes. They could not have been any more helpful, offering various options. I ended up getting us booked through Sydney. Complete contrast to the last round of cancellations when the treatment we received was extremely poor.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:55 am

I think it makes sense for NZ to take care of the US routes and place the 777s or unaffected aircraft there and reduce the routes where there are alternatives like some mentioned above Adelaide, Bali where they may have been seasonal with the 789s anyway. If loads are low use A320s to short haul routes. Even Perth they can fly the east coast then place on VA (for now!). Bit of rescheduling should get them through most of it. Maybe use fuel stops if not too expensive. My 789 flight is not affected for now.

I'm beginning to think it's not that great being a launch customer. Wait til the issues pop up and get fixed then start buying aircraft. I suppose you run the risk of being left behind.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I'm beginning to think it's not that great being a launch customer. Wait til the issues pop up and get fixed then start buying aircraft. I suppose you run the risk of being left behind.
With 380 engines affected globally, I don't think the issue was being the launch customer...simply a serious issue that RR didn't find during testing!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by AviationNZ
With 380 engines affected globally, I don't think the issue was being the launch customer...simply a serious issue that RR didn't find during testing!
Do the A380s have a separate engine issue of their own or is it a similar engine to the 787? I forget about the A380s because I'm not on them that much and with EKs departure I'll be on them even less!

Curious to know why RR didn't find the issue during testing. I did see one documentary about planes and testing parts where they were trying to simulate lightning and its effects on the 787 among other things but it seems they put parts through their paces (although I guess nothing quite beats flying the aircraft over time). Are there any suspicions of RR maybe not reporting an issue they maybe thought was minor that transpired to be major?

(I have to admit some of the passengers on these planes when the engines fall apart capture some amazing pictures)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:48 pm

Do the A380s have a separate engine issue of their own or is it a similar engine to the 787? I forget about the A380s because I'm not on them that much and with EKs departure I'll be on them even less!

Curious to know why RR didn't find the issue during testing. I did see one documentary about planes and testing parts where they were trying to simulate lightning and its effects on the 787 among other things but it seems they put parts through their paces (although I guess nothing quite beats flying the aircraft over time). Are there any suspicions of RR maybe not reporting an issue they maybe thought was minor that transpired to be major?

(I have to admit some of the passengers on these planes when the engines fall apart capture some amazing pictures)
I meant that 380 actual engines are affected, and not referring the A380 engines (confusing I know!!!)
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:36 pm

Testing is only so exhaustive and they do what the FAA and EASA set out. ANA had the first round of 787 and their issues were around high cycles in salt air. So ANA's usage was an extreme case while the testing will cover salt air it will not focus solely on salt air as other conditions also need to be taken into account.

AFAIK the 787 has had no frame or life loses due to the engine issues, so the inspections and the containment when engines have gone pop is working. The inspection processes are part of the long term studies and testing.
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Another cancellation, this time for SYD next week. Only took about 5 minutes to get through on tthe phone, and once again they were very helpful in rebooking me.
My main fear is the return of HiFly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.