Trent woes

Reply

Old Apr 13, 18, 7:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: NZ*G, United.
Posts: 185
Trent woes

Air New Zealand passengers face more disruption as Dreamliners hit by further Rolls-Royce engine problems - NZ Herald

inspection frequency from 1:2000 cycles to 1:300. Talk of ETOPS range limited to 140 minutes.
RadioNZ says affects 9 of AirNZ fleet.
"Some disruption" expected.
macdo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 18, 7:06 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,580
Originally Posted by macdo View Post
Air New Zealand passengers face more disruption as Dreamliners hit by further Rolls-Royce engine problems - NZ Herald

inspection frequency from 1:2000 cycles to 1:300. Talk of ETOPS range limited to 140 minutes.
RadioNZ says affects 9 of AirNZ fleet.
"Some disruption" expected.
Will HiFly make an return?
cavemanzk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 18, 7:14 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE
Posts: 2,187
Just had one of my flights retimed next week on a 787 to Bali and back, hopefully no cancellations.
Rebound is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 18, 10:51 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: Airpointes
Posts: 19
Which routes would be effected by the 140 minutes ETOPS restriction? I cannot imagine the stress there would be at RR right now!
graham_d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 18, 12:12 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,308
Originally Posted by graham_d View Post
Which routes would be effected by the 140 minutes ETOPS restriction? I cannot imagine the stress there would be at RR right now!
Probably none. I wrote about this issue this morning but now understand both new aircraft have the TEN option while the rest of the fleet now have a Package B and a TEN engine. There isn't a reason to suspend ETOPS on an aircraft fitted with 2x TEN engines.

Doesn't mean it won't happen though..if it did it would affect all flights to North and South America.
sbiddle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 18, 12:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Zealand
Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, VA Gold
Posts: 1,514
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Will HiFly make an return?
Is there any other company that offers a similar service to what high fly does? But with better planes? Although if NZ has now established a relationship with hi fly that may make it easier to return.
NZbutterfly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 18, 1:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,087
I think the Trent issue and associated additional maintenance inspections is also affecting THAI Airways flights BKK-AKL vv. The usual 777-200ER was recently changed to 787-900 - finally bringing a flat seat J to this route. TG has only 2 789s so far.

One of the 2 aircraft (HS-TWA) has not flown since 5 April, which means AKL has seen a 789 alternating with 787-800, 777-200ER and 777-300ER types on the other days. GDS loading shows a return to daily 789 services around 22 April. At least they have a large enough fleet to better absorb the impacts.
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:25 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,580
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly View Post
Is there any other company that offers a similar service to what high fly does? But with better planes? Although if NZ has now established a relationship with hi fly that may make it easier to return.
There must be a couple out there, HiFly is getting 2x A380s ex SQ shortly which are currently getting soft refits but keeping SQ product.
cavemanzk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 18, 3:07 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 579
I can't tell by the way that the article is written but is this now two issues? i.e. more frequent inspections required and one-off turbine blade maintenance

Either way this is going to cost someone a mint!
codyc1515 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 3:41 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Probably none. I wrote about this issue this morning but now understand both new aircraft have the TEN option while the rest of the fleet now have a Package B and a TEN engine. There isn't a reason to suspend ETOPS on an aircraft fitted with 2x TEN engines.

Doesn't mean it won't happen though..if it did it would affect all flights to North and South America.
Dont think ANZ has any Package B engines, 787-9 can only be powered by Cs or TENs.
rontse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 8:25 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Zealand
Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, VA Gold
Posts: 1,514
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
There must be a couple out there, HiFly is getting 2x A380s ex SQ shortly which are currently getting soft refits but keeping SQ product.
Combine the 2 AKL-LAX flights to hifly A380 SQ hard product just kidding...
NZbutterfly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 18, 1:28 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,308
Originally Posted by rontse View Post


Dont think ANZ has any Package B engines, 787-9 can only be powered by Cs or TENs.
Typo I didn't spot. I meant C.
sbiddle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 18, 2:06 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: Air NZ*GE
Posts: 142
Hmm my flight on NZ28 in early June is still listed as such and seats still allocated but when I go in to seat select saying not operated by Air Nz. One next week is fine still though although is now telling me I have no checked bags!
hodi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 18, 2:17 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,308
Originally Posted by hodi View Post
Hmm my flight on NZ28 in early June is still listed as such and seats still allocated but when I go in to seat select saying not operated by Air Nz. One next week is fine still though although is now telling me I have no checked bags!
My understanding is IAH is about to be moved back to a 777 to free up the TEN powered 789 from that route.
sbiddle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 18, 2:22 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: Air NZ*GE
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
My understanding is IAH is about to be moved back to a 777 to free up the TEN powered 789 from that route.
Ah great thanks. Think it will blow any pending APD chance from PE?

So is this a permanent maintenance requirement or is there a fix that will allow these craft to get back to prior schedules? I get lost in the technical deets!
hodi is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread