Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New premium check in AKL Intl

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
So I noticed since my first visit which was one of the first days it was open - it was really dark. Then on my last trip it was a lot brighter - maybe they had issues with the lighting on my first trip - it was like a nightclub.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by brucelee
Tried the new Premium check in on Sunday morning. Interesting set up with the cubicles for checking in. Also my first Op upgrade- not much as we were only flying to Melbourne. I had asked to move seats to bulk head for a bit more room but was surprised when the agent said he could do better and upgrade us both to PE- i wasnt going to complain for a free upgrade. PE was full for the flight also.
That is an insanely rare gesture from Air NZ. I'd get the evil looks when I even ask for seats up front TT
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by dadig
That is an insanely rare gesture from Air NZ. I'd get the evil looks when I even ask for seats up front TT
Weird - on Saturday the NZ staff manning the YA Premium checking at AKL, we're more than happy to offer me row 3. Which is apparently meant to be reserved to VA Elite.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Weird - on Saturday the NZ staff manning the YA Premium checking at AKL, we're more than happy to offer me row 3. Which is apparently meant to be reserved to VA Elite.
Maybe part of a new policy for Elites?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
For those that have yet to visit the new Premium Check-In area, or just curious...

Here are some photos I took last Friday, ~noon time.
It was completely... empty. At one point I was the ONLY customer there, certainly felt like a VVIP.

Elite/*G area at the back

General (Koru/Premium Economy/Business) area at the front

Photos were taken at the mid-point - just at the end of the "hallway" separating the front and the back.

There are around a dozen+ a few more self service kiosks in the "front" area, setup more like what they have "for the masses" outside in the general check-in hall... no doubt encouraging people to help themselves and cut down on staff needed.

While there are only 4(?) or so of these kiosks at the "back" area, with dedicated sit-down check-in sections and higher staff-to-travellers ratio providing a more... "premium" feel.

Most over-heard comment by people entering:
"Wow, I felt like just walked into a nightclub!"
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:53 pm

Location: Auckland NZ or somewhere in or over the South Pacific
Programs: NZ *GE
Used it for the first time yesterday, dark, dingy and disorganised. It was just a mess. Hard to find any staff at all except the one at the entry, down the back was packed and had only one person scanning the baggage for the most part. Not very "premium" at all I feel.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Came through last Friday night during rush hour (check-in for the transpacs). The tip to head straight to the back was very helpful. The agent was excellent, sorted out a passport issue (fie having multiple passports that both have to be used on one journey), and facilitated our baggage tags nicely. Really liked the new service.

Four thumbs up (there were 2 of us)!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Reminds me of Tron.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold,SQ Krisflyer, Qantas bronze. Accor hotels.
I used the new check-in early in August when flying Akld-Singapore. It was very dark and empty. i stumbled my way to the gold section eventually, felt I was entering The Matrix. A very surly, rotund, balding check-in guy, the sole person manning that area, watched my hesitancy with disdain. I handed over my passport and ticket printout, he took them, then handed them back and informed me I woukd have to self-process them. He vaguely indicated machines nearby in the gloom. After more fumbling by myself I slowly self-checked in, as the man watched me all the while with folded arms. I then wheeled my suitcase back over to him and the baggage check-in part. I asked for help but he refused. So there I am, a single older woman, struggling to haul the bag up as I have repetitive strain injury in a wrist. It was the most unhelpful, cold-hearted checkin I have experienced in 30 years of flying.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite (*A G), Qantas Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Noticed last week Monday they had better lighting than the week before. Staff member said they had some more lights added into ceiling and admitted that this was much more pleasant for them!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold,SQ Krisflyer, Qantas bronze. Accor hotels.
Glad to hear they have improved the lighting, PP. The swirling gloom of darkness and the strips of pink neon lighting was an effect that I last encountered when, in the spirit of inclusivity, I attended the opening of a new LGBT church in Asia, located within a warehouse.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Colours
Glad to hear they have improved the lighting, PP. The swirling gloom of darkness and the strips of pink neon lighting was an effect that I last encountered when, in the spirit of inclusivity, I attended the opening of a new LGBT church in Asia, located within a warehouse.
Ha! Love it. After all this hype, I can't wait to check it out on my trip next week. I will already be checked in (connecting from BHE) but will be sure to swing by and check out the pink neon...
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:36 pm

Is there any benefit to using premium check in in AKL when already checked in at a regional airport?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by ehillnz
Is there any benefit to using premium check in in AKL when already checked in at a regional airport?
Just fast track through immigration and security.

Remembering that domestic connection on the same PNR is flexible so if you opt to travel earlier, you still have to check in again Auckland
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by dadig
Just fast track through immigration and security.
My plan tomorrow when flying out to SFO. I need to check this out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.