Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New premium check in AKL Intl

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I like the fact there are sliding doors vs the open "come all" area it was before because family came in to see people off etc and it did get a bit crowded at times.

Not sure about the value of having 2 areas once inside eg the Gold/Elite/*A at the back. The more convenient place to check in is the front area yet you get sent to the back area for what is exactly the same process.

Lighting definitely is a bit on the too dark side I think.

First time through you get asked are you flying BP PE koru gold elite? etc which I thought was a bit funny listening to them go through the list of tiers, second time to prevent them going through the guessing game I'd just show my phone. I think I was the only one in the front area and just needed the departure card and check-in, so checked in at the front area as I didn't see the point in going to the back area.

My 2 cents.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Not sure about the value of having 2 areas once inside eg the Gold/Elite/*A at the back. The more convenient place to check in is the front area yet you get sent to the back area for what is exactly the same process.
So who gets what zone?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
I think I was the only one in the front area and just needed the departure card
Sorry, bit of an off topic question, but it still relates to checkin.

Is it acceptable to print your own departure cards before getting to the airport and fill them out at home? Or do they want them on their card stock?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by brucelee
Customs is fast but the security line is slow as it joins the rest of the normal travellers.
Yes sorry I was tired when posting, I agree - customs usually fast I meant to say the security line wasn't much quicker.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:25 am

First time through you get asked are you flying BP PE koru gold elite? etc which I thought was a bit funny listening to them go through the list of tiers, second time to prevent them going through the guessing game I'd just show my phone. I think I was the only one in the front area and just needed the departure card and check-in, so checked in at the front area as I didn't see the point in going to the back area.

My 2 cents.
Yes, front is more convenient so it's almost as though Koru is being valued above BP/*G/ *E

And the other interesting thing is that you are asked your status but we didn't have any credentials checked - perhaps the self service terminals flash lights and screech if you don't have status but I doubt it. I wonder how many people will just come in and say they are Koru when asked.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by drajknox
And the other interesting thing is that you are asked your status but we didn't have any credentials checked - perhaps the self service terminals flash lights and screech if you don't have status but I doubt it. I wonder how many people will just come in and say they are Koru when asked.
I know before the upgrade non-status passengers could use the self service terminals, e.g when I've been traveling with an mate that doesn't have status, and they we're on an seperate booking it still worked.

What area is better though? Koru or the status check-in zone? Wondering if they will make more Koru only enanchements to try get Gold members to purchase Koru.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by brucelee
Customs is fast but the security line is slow as it joins the rest of the normal travellers.
You mean immigration. Customs is only on arrivals, not departure.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:58 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Kiwiwings

Is it acceptable to print your own departure cards before getting to the airport and fill them out at home? Or do they want them on their card stock?
Just pick up spares next time passing through international terminal and then can fill them in on the proper stock at your leisure for faster process at the airport.

I have a stash of NZ arrival and departure cards, plus Australia arrival & departure, USA customs form, etc.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: Nz*G
The new premium is great. Perhaps if you are in a mad hurry you prefer the front area but I think the rear area is just fantastic.
Recent experience, I was there last week they asked us if we were gold, elite etc on entry to the main part and then directed to the back. The front area was heaving but out the back was quiet, relaxed and peaceful. So much better than the jam you experience just trying to access the airport and navigate the madness outside. Once inside We were offered to sit down and fill in departure documentation while the dedicated nz agent sorted all boarding passes, checked bags, everything. It felt like a very premium experience.
NZ have nailed this one in my opinion.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
So who gets what zone?
Through the first door is BP PE Koru, past this area is the second door to gold, elite and I'm pretty sure the last group listed is star alliance gold.

The first area is larger with more kiosks than down the back, 2 bag drop areas and the back I think just had 1 but there was a side desk with pc and another bench down the back - I guess to sort out special requests or other.

Originally Posted by Kiwiwings

No idea, I usually grab them there then fill them out while I'm waiting in line if there is one, or going up in the elevator etc, but yeah grabbing a handful probably is the way to go next time you're through.

Originally Posted by drajknox
Yes, front is more convenient so it's almost as though Koru is being valued above BP/*G/ *E

I think the front area allocation is more to do with the numbers from these groups they put through. I don't expect the agents to know what your status is but I really don't fancy listening to the guessing game each time hence I find it easier to show my phone and put it to rest.

I don't think the terminals will screech if you don't have status as plenty of status pax will have family members without status they will travel with etc

Not sure how many people will chance going through the door and lying about status. There are still kiosks and bag drop on the outside - just no lift.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
My first experience after the reopening was this can't be right - upon entering the first door all terminals were full and there was a queue. Then I noted the Gold/Elite signage on the second and went through was it was better check in experience

There are still dilusional management that think that the loading of Koru members are acceptable based on "benchmarks"
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: airnz elite
any pictures? so if I'm travelling business but also elite which way is better to go?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by davidkemps
any pictures? so if I'm travelling business but also elite which way is better to go?
didn't take any pictures, was a bit odd to.. to be honest with that setting.. many people and not appropriate... but I would have asked for the same before I used it last week myself

I was on BP and I was invited to have a seat down while the agent process my check-in and printing me the boarding pass. the seat was too far away from the agent IMHO

will go through them in two weeks time but this time with a party of 3 (me included) and would be interesting how that goes, we are only on Y and pending upgrade to Y+ that have not been cleared yet
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Took my son up last night who is my Elite Partner for his flight on NZ2. Directed out the back. The staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating making the whole check in simple and easy. Great from my view.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Tried the new Premium check in on Sunday morning. Interesting set up with the cubicles for checking in. Also my first Op upgrade- not much as we were only flying to Melbourne. I had asked to move seats to bulk head for a bit more room but was surprised when the agent said he could do better and upgrade us both to PE- i wasnt going to complain for a free upgrade. PE was full for the flight also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.