FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   New premium check in AKL Intl (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1780926-new-premium-check-akl-intl.html)

NZDavid Jul 27, 2016 5:30 am

New premium check in AKL Intl

From what I understand it's now open with separate area for Gold, Business & Elite. Unfortunately wasn't ready yet last week when I came through and not going through for another few weeks.

Any first thoughts? Photos?

NZbutterfly Jul 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Just to clarify, do you mean koru and *A are separate from J pax, gold & elite??

brucelee Jul 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 26977983)
Just to clarify, do you mean koru and *A are separate from J pax, gold & elite??

Yes apparently.

Kiwiwings Jul 27, 2016 4:59 pm

Could this be a sign of things to come? Separate or segregated lounges...

cavemanzk Jul 27, 2016 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwiwings (Post 26978133)

Or maybe just AKL has be come so busy at peak periods, e.g you could easily have at least 150 passengers on an 77W with access to premium check-in.

NZDavid Jul 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 26978153)
Or maybe just AKL has be come so busy at peak periods, e.g you could easily have at least 150 passengers on an 77W with access to premium check-in.

I agree that might be what is happening.

Lufthansa anyone? (Prefer their preferred approach to gold vs SQ who don't care about status pax!)

brucelee Jul 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwiwings (Post 26978133)

They already have separate lounges for EP1 members.

dadig Jul 27, 2016 6:27 pm

I wonder Koru product should be distinct from HVC offering, Air NZ could potentially milk this by forcing people to have both tier status and optional Koru to tightly couple the offerings that would annoy a market segment but works wonders for the revenue stream.

Koru is a reportable source income that is steady, and fairly easy to predict and forecast.

cavemanzk Jul 27, 2016 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by dadig (Post 26978500)
I wonder Koru product should be distinct from HVC offering, Air NZ could potentially milk this by forcing people to have both tier status and optional Koru to tightly couple the offerings that would annoy a market segment but works wonders for the revenue stream.

Koru is a reportable source income that is steady, and fairly easy to predict and forecast.

Which just recently went up in price again, Koru lets them offer an product that isn't controlled by *A rules.

This was from the June - Koru in the know email.

We'll soon be reopening the doors to our refreshed Air New Zealand Premium Check-in area at Auckland International Airport.
The design incorporates new designated areas for our different premium customers to reduce congestion and speed up check-in times. Koru members will enjoy a check-in zone featuring more kiosks and bag drops, and our usual Premium check-in team will be on hand to help wherever needed.
Fast track through Passport Control and Security will continue to be available via the lift, enabling you to get to the comforts of the Air New Zealand International Lounge quickly!

NZDavid Jul 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 26978969)
Which just recently went up in price again, Koru lets them offer an product that isn't controlled by *A rules.

This was from the June - Koru in the know email.

So the question is - who is most premium in their eyes and which line will be shortest? :)

To be fair I thought old check in area was fine - I don't recall ever having to wait in the last few years

cavemanzk Jul 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by NZDavid (Post 26979133)
To be fair I thought old check in area was fine - I don't recall ever having to wait in the last few years

Friday Nights could get an bit busy at times, but that got fixed when they added more self check-in machines last year.

If anything I wish the lift had be replaced by an escalator with an couple of SmartGates :D

NZ_Flyer Jul 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 26979170)
Friday Nights could get an bit busy at times, but that got fixed when they added more self check-in machines last year.

If anything I wish the lift had be replaced by an escalator with an couple of SmartGates :D

Agree. I'd prefer some "Express Smartgates" and a dedicated "Express Security" (although sometimes this happens) than having to go to the dedicated manned immigration counter. These days I usually just go through the smartgate and join the security line rather than wait in the queue for express immigration.

ruff00 Jul 27, 2016 11:24 pm

It's great to have the lift to customs and security re-instated!

sbiddle Jul 27, 2016 11:44 pm

I wonder if any NZ or AU airports will ever get *G Gold Track?

Xiaotung Jul 28, 2016 12:01 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 26979488)
I wonder if any NZ or AU airports will ever get *G Gold Track?

Apparently according to the Star website, MEL and SYD already have it but it's just the Express lanes with no Gold Track signage.