Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shairpoints

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: QF, NZ, MH, Hilton
I would've thought rules 8.8.2 and 8.8.3 were more relevant in this case ...

8.8.2 Your Membership will terminate on your death. Airpoints Dollars, Status Points and any other benefits earned but not redeemed at the time of your death will be cancelled for no consideration, unless a transfer is permitted in accordance with clause 8.5. We'll terminate your Membership and close your Account when we receive notification of your death. We will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered by any person as a result of such termination.
8.8.3 If anyone claims accruals or credits from a deceased Member's Account, they may be subject to appropriate administrative and/or legal action by us including, but not limited to, Membership cancellation (if applicable) and the loss of all accumulated Airpoints Dollars and unused Rewards. We may also take action to recover the monetary value of the Airpoints Dollars and benefits concerned.
... Air New Zealand has given themselves wiggle room with the use of may in 8.8.3, and that is probably what they have used in this instance.

What is puzzling me with the quotes from the Air New Zealand spokesperson in the article

A spokeswoman for Air New Zealand said it was "standard procedure" for Airpoints accounts to be closed "on receipt of notification of the member's death".

"Airpoints Dollars are owned by the member and those not redeemed at the time of the member's death are cancelled unless a formal claim is made by the beneficiary of the member's estate," she said...
The spokeswoman for Air New Zealand said Airpoints Dollars had a New Zealand dollar value and an Airpoints account was similar to a bank account.

"When we are notified that an Airpoints member has passed away we close the account. Once we have confirmation of who is the beneficiary of the deceased person's estate we happily transfer the Airpoints balance to the beneficiary's account," she said.
as that contradicts the terms and conditions which also include

8.5 Accumulated Airpoints Dollars, Status Points and any other benefits related to the Programme are not your property
So do the points belong to the individual or Air New Zealand? If they belong to the individual then doesn't that bring Estate Law, Matrimonial Property, Income Tax into play?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: some
Sorry to revive an old thread but I only really just found out about Shairpoints. My wife and daughter don't fly enough to earn meaningful points. If I set up a Shairpoints account, am I right in thinking that their points will be available to me?
Is there any downside I need to be aware of?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fliar
Sorry to revive an old thread but I only really just found out about Shairpoints. My wife and daughter don't fly enough to earn meaningful points. If I set up a Shairpoints account, am I right in thinking that their points will be available to me?
Is there any downside I need to be aware of?
the only downside is what was mentioned before
It takes it off the oldest points whereas you may wish it is taken off the oldest points of the person whose points can expire
The credit cards can make points "never expire"
Otherwise fantastic concept
Shame it does not pool Status Points too (like Virgin Australia)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Beano
the only downside is what was mentioned before
It takes it off the oldest points whereas you may wish it is taken off the oldest points of the person whose points can expire
The credit cards can make points "never expire"
Otherwise fantastic concept
Shame it does not pool Status Points too (like Virgin Australia)
Thanks Beano, appreciate the reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.