Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Greetings all. After quite a long absence (from the board and from AirNZ) I have a very cheap PE flight booked HKG-LHR for me and my partner in late October, and am keen to upgrade to BP.

The other half is still NZ*G while these days I am a lowly *S. He still has a recognition upgrade available, so has requested that for himself. The idea was for him then to request a oneup for me, using his airbucks since presumably that means we benefit from the uplift - is that right? Also, will he have to call to request that, since there's already a recognition upgrade request on the booking?

Finally, any thoughts on suggested oneup bid? I was thinking in the order of the old upgrades, ie about 440 APD? The flight is currently showing:
C4 D4 Z4 J7 U7 E7 O7 A7 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 V7 W7 T7 L7 S7 G7 X6 K7 P0
The seatmap in J is wide open at this stage - only 9 seats occupied - though it is still 5 weeks before travel.

Any thoughts gratefully received, thanks
Based on other posts, my understanding would be $440 is too low, the call center confirmed to me the other day, they will not give upgrades to low bids, I have a recognition in for HK on the 14th and oneups on my other flights but am getting a bit worried with what I have read here lately as flyers are reporting back poor sucess
Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: NZ *E
also appears that oneups may be going ahead of recognition awards even though the T & C say otherwise
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: Airnz Elite
Any idea what is successful and what is not for a one up on a TransTasmsn flight ?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
SFO AKL

status: passenger no NZ status, *G on UA (not sure if this has the uplift)
flight: NZ7 SFO-AKL, 20 Sept
class: Y-> PE
$ or APD: request $275, was on the border of very poor/weak.
outcome: unsucessful

denied 3 days in advance.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Gekko
status: passenger no NZ status, *G on UA (not sure if this has the uplift)
flight: NZ7 SFO-AKL, 20 Sept
class: Y-> PE
$ or APD: request $275, was on the border of very poor/weak.
outcome: unsucessful

denied 3 days in advance.
The current seat allocation in PE on that flight according to EF is U2,E1, O0, A0, so there are only three spares now. However, I have no idea whether NZ loads its OneUp acceptances already or if they will not be confirmed until checkin (leaving 3 seats to be sold).

Interestingly, the seat map for the flight shows four empty seats, albeit two are the middle of the 3 seat set on the upper deck.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: NZ EP
I'll add a OneUp experience...

The better half is joining me in HKG (from AKL) early October and she has recently bid APD850 (yes 850!) to go from Economy to Premium Economy.

At the moment FlightStats is showing U/7 E/7 O/7 A/7. Does that mean they have only sold 8 seats so far? Jeez.

Anyway, with a high bid such as that one...I'd be surprised if she doesn't get an upgrade. Will keep ya'll posted.

And, yes, I did mention to her that it's a 772 with old school 3-3-3 seating...but hey, they were essentially free points gifted from a large pool and she's keen for the experience

Last edited by Gasfoodlodging; Sep 19, 2012 at 11:35 am
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by Mapnz
Any idea what is successful and what is not for a one up on a TransTasmsn flight ?
Don't know Mapnz but I am also keen to find out.

I still have 2 standbys pending that each cost me APD$250.

Best NPE/SYD Business fare I have seen is about $730 each way when on sale.

So my Works fare, at about $350 each way, + a hoped-for APD$250 upgrade would mean that business cost $600. I could live with that, even if it is on a 763.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging

The better half is joining me in HKG (from AKL) early October and she has recently bid APD850 (yes 850!) to go from Economy to Premium Economy.

At the moment FlightStats is showing U/7 E/7 O/7 A/7. Does that mean they have only sold 8 seats so far? Jeez.

Anyway, with a high bid such as that one...I'd be surprised if she doesn't get an upgrade. Will keep ya'll posted.

And, yes, I did mention to her that it's a 772 with old school 3-3-3 seating...but hey, they were essentially free points gifted from a large pool and she's keen for the experience
what could I say? the normal differential between Y and PE is $900 on the booking engine... if you bid $850, I would have just pay $900 in hard cash to secure my increased SP and APD with my booking...

I guess this is what AirNZ wants.. to max their revenue.... no offence, but I do not think that was a wise bid, maybe its just me
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by mmonster
what could I say? the normal differential between Y and PE is $900 on the booking engine... if you bid $850, I would have just pay $900 in hard cash to secure my increased SP and APD with my booking...

I guess this is what AirNZ wants.. to max their revenue.... no offence, but I do not think that was a wise bid, maybe its just me
Tell me about it!! The joys of being in the midst of travelling and out of contact for extended periods (me), and last minute plans to meet up from across each side of the globe ^

The 'better' half had already bid by the time I could say anything. I just laughed when I heard the amount of APD spent (even if they were gifted by a GE with tons in the APD bank, it was way too much).

The thing that gets me the most tho, is that by the loadings (if I am reading it correctly) there is 75% of the PE cabin still to be sold. I reckon a bid of around $400 might have worked.

Oh well, whaddyagoingtodo

P.S
Of course, she still has to secure the PE upgrade and get a good seat in the 36 spots
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Oh wow, silly silly silly.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Smile successful

APW/AKL 18 Sep 12

NZ 295 op by 772

avail prior was C/4 D/4 Z/4 J/2

actual load was 12/26 (including us)

ticketed T class seat only WST 493/NZ$ 292 plus tax per person

bid NZ$ 200 each (2 x pax)

confirmation received 4 days prior

Last edited by deconz; Sep 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm Reason: corrected flight #
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Nice, was that an aircraft change?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
Nice, was that an aircraft change?
I booked 14/08/12 and it was always the 772. On board I was told it operated alternative Tuesdays to the 763. However, I see next month it's downgraded to the A320
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
The 'better' half had already bid by the time I could say anything. I just laughed when I heard the amount of APD spent (even if they were gifted by a GE with tons in the APD bank, it was way too much).
It can still be changed. There is the following text on the One Up web page so you can cancel a request of adjust it up or down if done up to 7 days before the flight.

You can change your offer up until 168 hours before departure.
Probably a bid about half the original should work with it possibly being adjusted up / down depending on how full PE is closer to the departure date.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF WP/LTG

Regarding the number of available seats in PE, yes there are 36 seats in total in the PE cabin on the 772. However U7 E7 O7 A7 does not simply mean there are 7*4=28 seats unsold in the cabin as any class lower than U simply means the number of seats the revenue team are prepared to offer for sale at discounted levels. The most accurate representation of the total number of available seats for sale in a cabin is always to look for the number of highest class seats available for that cabin, in this case U. However, for PE, NZ will not show the availability of seats past 7. So in this case, there are currently at least 7 seats unsold in PE, and very likely more, given the number of seats they are prepared to sell at O level and the A class availability. Hope this clears things up a bit. BTW, the OneUp bid is ridiculously high :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.