Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingGeo
What have I missed? It makes sense that the GBP bid is converted to NZD, and the exchange rate is correct.
The price of a standby upgrade from Y to PE prior to the OneUp changes was $220 AP.

Of course, one could argue that there's extra value in having this upgrade confirmed a week out.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver, NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
The price of a standby upgrade from Y to PE prior to the OneUp changes was $220 AP.

Of course, one could argue that there's extra value in having this upgrade confirmed a week out.
Ahh right, thanks for the info. I never made any upgrade requests before the OneUp scheme - it would've been handy to know what the previous price was as I would've bid lower then!
Threads like this are great for Airpoints novices like me.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
It would be good to know when people got advised their one up was successful or unsuccessful as well. We are 5 days away from a flight we have one upped on and still no word... I know I will find out by 3 days out, (probably by the time we hit the ground in HK) I'm kind of hoping that it's a good thing we havent heard yet, still juggling those upgrades from PE to Biz to make room for me
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
A small amount, not 42%. And it seems the week-out thing is somewhat erratic in any case. And potentially it leaves seats empty that otherwise would have continued through the system til doors close.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
unsuccessful - HKG-LHR We bid $425 each and with gold uplift that would put it to around 550 from memory. Flight is pretty full - only 1 PE seat available (just checked in). Got the email right on the button of 3 days out. Actually as it turns out, we're quite pleased we didnt get it - we put that money into upgrading to club access at Intercontinental Grand stanford in HKG - well worth the money on top of the suite upgrade we already got.

PE on this leg doesnt look that great, yes a bit of extra leg space but you're still 3 abreast in those skinny little chairs. Having said that, my god they cram you in in economy. Worst flight ever AKL-HKG, fully loaded plane, (maybe 5 empty seats in economy).

Have now cancelled our one up bid from RAR-AKL and used our recognition upgrade (my silver one of course out the window now that I am gold, but my partner still has until Dec to use his silver)
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
I booked SYD-AKL-LAX last night. With time on my hands I took UA SFO-SYD one-way, at almost the same cost as an economy SFO-AKL-SFO on NZ, purely so I could drop an upgrade to business. All my travel used to default to AirNZ, now I default to avoiding them where feasible. AirNZ have done pretty well to push away price insensitive, albeit economy, frequent fliers like myself.

SFO-AKL, 11 Sep NZ102 M (works). Dropped a standby upgrade after booking, which didn't clear at C4 D4 Z4 J5 I0. No idea where R was at, as AirNZ seem to have stopped publishing availability of R inventory, if indeed it still exists...

AKL-LAX, 12 Sep NZ2 V. Dropped a standby upgrade after booking, which cleared immediately. U7 E7 O6 A3 went to A2. Interestingly this morning it jumped to U7 E7 O7 A7, which would be about the T-7day mark. Perhaps opening things up to be filled by OneUps?

I'm still in two minds about the upgrade to PE, as two thirds of the SkyCouches are still showing as unoccupied. The two times I have had to fly the 773 in Y I have been moved to a free SkyCouch, seatbelts and linen included. I much prefer the SkyCouch over the PE seats as I can get a pretty good sleep on it.

Now if only NZ would bring back two class upgrades, even if they required purchase of a higher fare class. (And perhaps after that they can de-screw things by unpegging it from the NZD...)
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: Virgin Australia : Gold
so we are 4 days (13 sept) out syd-akl-lax and waiting to see if our oneup bid has been accepted for the akl-lax sector.
I rang ANZ today and the lovely guy said that the longer we waited the better our chances could be,(bus 30 empty) we are trying to go from PE to Bus....so fingers crossed we get it, although we are quite happy flying PE so its no biggy. I just hate this waiting.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:08 pm

UPDATE

Originally Posted by strtrek
so we are 4 days (13 sept) out syd-akl-lax and waiting to see if our oneup bid has been accepted for the akl-lax sector.
I rang ANZ today and the lovely guy said that the longer we waited the better our chances could be,(bus 30 empty) we are trying to go from PE to Bus....so fingers crossed we get it, although we are quite happy flying PE so its no biggy. I just hate this waiting.
Update: didnt get the upgrade, but the cabin still looks half empty..oh well, prem econ will be great....just would like to know the reason why we didnt get it..curious.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:12 pm

That certainly is weird-perhaps writing in and asking why might be a good idea.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Update: didnt get the upgrade, but the cabin still looks half empty..oh well, prem econ will be great....just would like to know the reason why we didnt get it..curious.
would be good to know how much you bid? when I spoke to the call centre yesterday I was told that they will not upgrade any low/crazy bids
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Janec

would be good to know how much you bid? when I spoke to the call centre yesterday I was told that they will not upgrade any low/crazy bids
Then why do they allow these bids at first place? Shouldn't they just raise the minimum bid?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by 123dd
Then why do they allow these bids at first place? Shouldn't they just raise the minimum bid?
Exactly.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:26 pm

our bid for akl-lax

hi there,
we have no status ..377 airpoints....and bid $401 pp to go from full fare PE to business class...i thought due to low loading we may have a chance...oh well...PE is still nice
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: NZ *E
hi there,
we have no status ..377 airpoints....and bid $401 pp to go from full fare PE to business class...i thought due to low loading we may have a chance...oh well...PE is still nice
I would have thought that was a fair bid? however it is a popular route, you may get lucky at the gate,if thats still possible with a oneup, not sure? let us know how you go please?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I would have thought that was a fair bid? however it is a popular route, you may get lucky at the gate,if thats still possible with a oneup, not sure? let us know how you go please?
Not possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.