Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 2:19 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
In 16 years of having status with Air NZ I have been op-up'd twice (recognition and Airpoints upgrades I've lost count of).

Once was Y to C WLG-CHC in 2000, another was C to F from LAX-AKL in Dec 2002. Both times I was Gold Elite.

Maybe another thread on op-ups on NZ? Which will show how scarce they are...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by libertyuk
In 16 years of having status with Air NZ I have been op-up'd twice (recognition and Airpoints upgrades I've lost count of).

Once was Y to C WLG-CHC in 2000, another was C to F from LAX-AKL in Dec 2002. Both times I was Gold Elite.

Maybe another thread on op-ups on NZ? Which will show how scarce they are...
thanks libertyuk, here it is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...l#post19518084 feel free to discuss =)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, NZ*G
Originally Posted by mmonster
u

something out of topic here.... interesting you have mentioned op-ups here... is this common on AirNZ? The reason I am asking says a lot about my experience as GE!
In 2011 I was opped up on at least 25% of my TT widebody flights. Y was oversold. I usually take at least 12 long haul sectors in BP each year, and 4 in Y. In 2011 I was opped up in 2 of my longhaul 4 Y sectors.

I am guessing that op-ups are more rare now than they were pre-oneup because it gives the airline more flexibility in how it manages its loads, without giving completely free upgrades.

Last edited by craver; Oct 18, 2012 at 9:26 am
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
HKG-LHR successful bid

NZ39 HKG-LHR 23/10/12
PE > BP
HKD $3730 in airpoints = 588APD, +10% silver uplift
Cleared 6 days out

This bid was probably unnecessarily high, but am travelling with the other half who is using a gold comp upgrade (hasn't cleared yet) and really didn't want to be left behind in the crappy 772 PE product! Cost was mitigated by crazily cheap one way PE fare of 4600HKD, so overall I am a happy camper. I did wonder whether my cheap fare would affect my bid - does fare basis have any effect on one up?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Not accepted, $130 GE bid for AKL to SYD on 763 economy to business.

Current availability is C/4 D/3 Z/0 J/0 with Expertflyer should 10 unallocated seats.

I suspect my bid was below the minimum they would accept.
Expertflyer is now showing 12 seats unallocated with availability of C/4 D/4 Z/2 J/0 and I can do a dummy booking for 9 seats in business. This is for the flight on Sunday morning at 9am.

It really looks like the OneUp model is working well for this flight.

If it stays this way, I wonder if they might accept the original OneUp bid at the gate?

And this was my first ever OneUp bid.

Last edited by Trumpkin; Oct 19, 2012 at 6:43 pm Reason: OneUp history added
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Trumpkin

If it stays this way, I wonder if they might accept the original OneUp bid at the gate?
Once it's declined, it's declined. Unlike recognition upgrades, oneup bids don't slip into standby for reassessment later.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I am GE and have been accepted for AU$80 once on this route.
I think the process includes a consideration of the fare paid (and possibly the product purchased), as well as frequency of previous OneUp success. Can I encourage contributors to include that information with their posts.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Do you get an email if decline your bid or do you just accept that once out of that 7-3 day period you assume it's declined?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
I think the process includes a consideration of the fare paid (and possibly the product purchased), as well as frequency of previous OneUp success. Can I encourage contributors to include that information with their posts.
The SYD-AKL AU$80 bid was successful the first time. I have tried the same twice after that but were both declined. I think they do look at your previous success rate and they are giving everyone a chance. They can't possibly call this loyalty upgrade as it seems the more loyal you are the more likely you get rejected.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by QTFLYER
Do you get an email if decline your bid or do you just accept that once out of that 7-3 day period you assume it's declined?
You get an email.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
The SYD-AKL AU$80 bid was successful the first time. I have tried the same twice after that but were both declined. I think they do look at your previous success rate and they are giving everyone a chance. They can't possibly call this loyalty upgrade as it seems the more loyal you are the more likely you get rejected.
Are you just making an assumption that they do look at prior success rate or is this a know fact?
One-Up is a revenue generator and if they are denying higher bids just because you happen to be successful in the past is illogical.
Therefore I do not believe you are correct.
I will make my own assumption, that One-Up successful bids will go up over time and there will be a route specific seasonal impact eg. peak periods will have higher bids, Fridays Trans-Tasman will be higher than Wednesday morning.
One-Up does take loyalty into consideration, based on NZ status, but it opens upgrades up to low tier on non-status passengers for a price.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Successful bid, 5 days prior, AKL - LAX PE to BP $500 with 10% uplift.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
I would like to know what original fare class people who have had one up clear had. do we think base fare is used in the dession making process? hence the comment above who had a bp clear at $80 may have already purchased a fare from a higher bucket. hence same bid rejected other times as base fare may have been cheaper...

thoughts??

I am waiting on an outcome for my first one up bid for Saturday morning. I have a good bid in, empty cabin but brought a cheap gas fare..
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Are you just making an assumption that they do look at prior success rate or is this a know fact?
One-Up is a revenue generator and if they are denying higher bids just because you happen to be successful in the past is illogical.
Therefore I do not believe you are correct.
I will make my own assumption, that One-Up successful bids will go up over time and there will be a route specific seasonal impact eg. peak periods will have higher bids, Fridays Trans-Tasman will be higher than Wednesday morning.
One-Up does take loyalty into consideration, based on NZ status, but it opens upgrades up to low tier on non-status passengers for a price.
Was my assumption but they did say they would look at previous success rate in one of those emails. I don't think anyone of us can get to the bottom of this otherwise NZ wouldn't have paid for such a model. I think the model was worked out by a bunch of actuaries so anyone of us trying to guess is pointless.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I think the model was worked out by a bunch of actuaries so anyone of us trying to guess is pointless.
If it has been devised by actuaries, then it is not likely to be the most practical of models. (I can say that as I am an actuary, although don't practice as one.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.