Community
Wiki Posts
Search

S2S Domestic?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Today's grabaseat fares are the same price as they usually are given the parameters (AKL-PMR $59) - Now with no bag (or fast bag either apparently)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Rebound
Today's grabaseat fares are the same price as they usually are given the parameters (AKL-PMR $59) - Now with no bag (or fast bag either apparently)
I noticed this too. I did a search for AKL-CHC & AKL-ZQN in April and the cheapest fare is the same price, but minus the bag also. AKL-WLG looks cheaper though.

Status pax should get two carry-ons though on a seat only?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot
Has anyone seen anything about the cost of upgrading from a grabaseat to grabaseat+bag later - either online or at the airport? I'd be annoyed if they went JQ style and punished you for changing your mind. On the other hand if you could pay the extra $10 at any time, then I'd view this change as a good thing. Haven't seen anything written so far.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Taking away fastbag is pathetic. Fastbag isn't entirely the same as checking in a bag as there's only a 15 kg limit there versus a 25 kg limit otherwise.

I suppose it can be monitored at the gate.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
I suppose it can be monitored at the gate.
Yeah, but what a about a legal 105cm, 7kg rollaboard - won't fit in some aircraft cabins!

Last edited by serfty; Nov 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G and a couple of other Silvers.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...domestic-fares

Air New Zealand is cutting its lowest domestic fares by an average of 6 per cent.

The cheapest fares have been trimmed by up to $10, for travellers who only have small carry-on luggage of up to 7kg. The fares will be $10 less for those taking a large bag up to 23kg that is checked in.

The ''Seats to Suit'' fare with carry-on bags only was brought in on Tasman and Pacific Island flights more than a year ago and is now being brought in for domestic flights.

Air New Zealand's website shows the cheapest fares from Wellington to Auckland on Wednesday next week are $99 one-way, with just a carry-on bag. The cheapest fare with a checked bag was $109.

However, there were just two flights with such seats available, the rest were sold out. Full fare flights ranged from $239 one-way, up to $369 for peak times.

Return flights from Auckland to Wellington next Thursday were completely sold out of the $99 and $109 fares.

The airline said the new fares meant it will have more than 1.5 million domestic fares under $100 available for customers each year.

Air New Zealand is also bringing in standby fares nationwide until 30 June next year, following trials in Dunedin and Christchurch.

The $59 one-way standby ''seat only'' fares are now available to many of the airline's 27 domestic destinations on any non-stop flight between 10am and 3.30pm.

The two longest routes of Auckland-Dunedin and Auckland-Queenstown cost $79 one way on standby.

Standby fares including a bag are available for $10 more a person for a one way journey.

The standby fares means passengers only fly if there are spare seats available on the specified off peak flights.

Blackout periods will be put in place on peak travel days when the likelihood of passengers getting a seat is small.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot
E-mail from Air NZ:

Earn Airpoints Dollars™ too

We're also pleased to announce that from early 2012, all Smart Saver fares will earn you Airpoints Dollars. That means millions of Domestic, Tasman and Pacific Island flights a year will earn 5 Airpoints Dollars for each flight*.

^^^

Although it is amusing how 2 years ago Flexi Savers were scrapped for reasons of simplicity, now grabaseats have replaced Smart Savers as the cheapest option and Smart Savers are replacing Flexi Savers as the mid-priced option that earns APD. Bit of a merry-go-round!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:30 pm

At least its something _b
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:01 am

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
Originally Posted by brenrox
I noticed this too. I did a search for AKL-CHC & AKL-ZQN in April and the cheapest fare is the same price, but minus the bag also. AKL-WLG looks cheaper though.
As I understand it from the examples in that trade Q&A and my own poking around the evening before and the morning of the changes, mainline flights have dropped in some cases, while I didn't see a Link flight that had dropped. The examples in the Q&A bear out the hypothesis of mainline down, Link up...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ThatJohn
As I understand it from the examples in that trade Q&A and my own poking around the evening before and the morning of the changes, mainline flights have dropped in some cases, while I didn't see a Link flight that had dropped. The examples in the Q&A bear out the hypothesis of mainline down, Link up...
Sadly true. A case in point: fares between WLG and BHE. For some unknown reason, the newly published fare grid (on the wingtips link) doesn't show any BHE-WLG fares, plus there's a note saying that fares between Blenheim and Wellington have been amended and now show separately from the main domestic faregrid. You would hope that might mean that they were recognizing that there was scope for cheaper fares on this short sector, but no, the cheapest available is $99 each way for seat only. So on this well-established, frequently served sector the cheapest published fares that include bags are $245 round trip when paid for with a credit card.

Back in August this year, the lead in fare level was $79 each way, which included a free bag, so $165 round trip including credit card fee. Thanks AirNZ, another $80 round trip for the same product - that's almost $1 extra per mile flown. What a crock.

At these prices you would think they could afford to build my long-campaigned for regional Koru lounge at BHE...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:42 pm

HKK to CHC flights have stayed at $69 without a bag but lots of $89 without a bag available.
Nice one NZ cut the allowance and increase the price
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:45 pm

Are Air NZ still offering Starfish? If so are they putting up the base fare and trying to get those customers who are regional frequent flyers to then buy starfish = back to where they started almost?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Thanks AirNZ, another $80 round trip for the same product - that's almost $1 extra per mile flown. What a crock.
Ah yes, but you get the fabulous in-flight entertainment on the 1900D (like watching someone play flight sim, but better) and every passenger has direct aisle access and a window. Like Business Premier, but facing forwards!

At these prices you would think they could afford to build my long-campaigned for regional Koru lounge at BHE...
You can have the Wgtn intl lounge if you like. We're not really using it for anything good.

Last edited by ThatJohn; Nov 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm Reason: misguided attempt to do board markup before coffee
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Rebound
Are Air NZ still offering Starfish? If so are they putting up the base fare and trying to get those customers who are regional frequent flyers to then buy starfish = back to where they started almost?
I wondered the same thing myself...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by ThatJohn
You can have the Wgtn intl lounge if you like. We're not really using it for anything good.
It must be barely used these days. It's never been much of a lounge anyway, IMHO - I always far preferred the domestic one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.