Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: QF Gold
One positive is you can now book a return on the Monday from OOL, and fly from AKL-OOL at more reasonable hours during the week.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:55 pm
NHM

Programs: NZ*GE
just noticed this post:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austr...-lounge-access
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:10 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
DJ just unveiled the details of the partnership on their website. Judging from the eligible booking classes, even the cheapest fares including Seat, Seat+Bag, and grabaseat fares on NZ accrue Velocity points and their Status Credits. Whatever way you look at it, Velocity is definitely the better program.

http://www.virginaustralia.com/Perso...land/index.htm

So here is what we know. Airpoints does not offer SP on standalone DJ flights, does not offer APD on Seat and Seat+Bag Smart Saver fares, does not offer APD on NZ domestic Smart Saver and grabaseat fares, and does not offer Gold members free check in baggage allowance on Seat Only fares. Velocity does all the equilavant above. Also Velocity Gold has 32kg per piece even on NZ metal. If there was an award for the most stingy program, I am sure Airpoints would win it and they could put that award in their proud trophy room along with the others. I can only understand the first one due to *A restrictions but the rest even DJ is more compliant than NZ in terms of *A. So if you travel most frequently on NZ the best program for you is Velocity. How does NZ justify that!!!

Last edited by Xiaotung; Jul 8, 2011 at 12:56 am
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:14 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Probably a straight forward question, do DJ gold members get NZ lounge access on intl/dom NZ flights now
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by brenrox
Probably a straight forward question, do DJ gold members get NZ lounge access on intl/dom NZ flights now
Yes. [Not including NZ flights to the Pacific Islands.]
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:50 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Will DJ be putting a premium counter in the premium lobby at AKL?

If not will be still get to use the lift up to customs when on a DJ operated flight?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Will DJ be putting a premium counter in the premium lobby at AKL?

If not will we still get to use the lift up to customs when on a DJ operated flight?
I was thinking they may do what "onworld" do and arrange customs pre-clearance.

Then again, that would require a dedicated emigration agent which may possibly not be cost effective.

Maybe an invite to employ the lift?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: QF Platinum/Lifetime Gold, LH Senator, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Don't even bother. You would probably pay double to be able to earn *A partner miles across the Tasman. With DJ, you might have a chance. Details will be available tomorrow I think. I can already enter my NZ number in DJ booking as of 10pm Thursday AEST.
from reading though the thread, it is still not clear to me if status miles can be earned for other *A airlines with NZ codeshares on Virgin metal.

Generally across *A this is not the case, but if you can earn NZ points, then perhaps so for other *A carriers
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Isn't *A earning generally based upon the Operating carrier (metal) rather then the marketing carrier (Flight Number).

If so, then stus earn is unliekly.

I do believe the inability to earn AirNZ status on DJ/VA flight numbers is a result of *A regulation that AirNZ must comply with.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Received an information pack in the mail yesterday with letter from Bruce Parton explaining the changes
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
. So if you travel most frequently on NZ the best program for you is Velocity. How does NZ justify that!!!
I think the benefit of being a NZ*G rather than a Velocity Gold comes when you travel around the world. Velocity might give you better SP earning in Australasia but it won't get you very far when travelling through Europe. Good luck trying to access airport lounges of other FF benefits as a velocity gold in Europe/Asia for example. I'll gladly take the 60 SP on offer from a NZ return Tasman flight and re-credit that towards *G.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot
So if you travel most frequently on NZ the best program for you is Velocity. How does NZ justify that!!!
I'm sure taking a close look it my long-forgotten DJ membership - the bulk of my travel is on non-APD-earning fares and it looks as though it is much easier to gain status on DJ then retain on NZ. Silver on DJ also has the extra benefits over NZ*S of earn rate and baggage allowance.

The fact that DJ premium customers do not get extra baggage allowance on NZ coded fares (and vice versa) will probably put many people off switching - especially those who travel on APD-earning fares anyway.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Rotodavid123
Received an information pack in the mail yesterday with letter from Bruce Parton explaining the changes
I wonder if the black book with gold/gold elite on the front was what last months KiaOra mag made reference to with the half black page and the word 'premium'? The font and colour seemed identical
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by samnz
I'm sure taking a close look it my long-forgotten DJ membership - the bulk of my travel is on non-APD-earning fares and it looks as though it is much easier to gain status on DJ then retain on NZ. Silver on DJ also has the extra benefits over NZ*S of earn rate and baggage allowance.

The fact that DJ premium customers do not get extra baggage allowance on NZ coded fares (and vice versa) will probably put many people off switching - especially those who travel on APD-earning fares anyway.
One thing I forgot to mention is DJ Silver/Gold receive 20% and 40% bonus points travelling on NZ. I don't know if the Airpoints change later this year will address all these.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by Rotodavid123
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.