Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

No longer accepting Koru Club guest passes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer accepting Koru Club guest passes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
I'm currently childless, but I don't have a problem with it-travelling families are good revenue sources for airlines and they don't want to be too hostile to this group.
It would be okay if..

1) Parents used to the childerns room, intead of allowing there kids to use the lounge as a play ground

2) Kids where not allowed to help them selfs to the food! At BNE of the limited food they have most of the kids snap it up and leave nothing for anyone else.

3) Please don't allow you kids to just sit there streaming music or videos on youtube! When you have 100 people trying to use the wireless at AKL it doesn't help.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
This is what is happening - from Air NZ:

"With regards to guest passes, from 18 June instead of using the guest passes, a member will instead be able to just bring one guest per entry into the Koru Lounges. Gold members will be able to bring one additional guest into the lounge per visit (total of two)"

Note that only one guest per visit if Koru, not as many as you could in the old days, say wife & 2 kids.
I was told this today as well. It was noted that there was discretion being applied locally at each KC by staff, esp in the main centres - so this '*G+KC=2 guests' may vary in application.

Staff also mentioned that many KC members turn up with guests, but without guest passes - so this change is designed to simplify things for all concerned and avoid awkward moments at the lounge entry.

The kids issue is an interesting one. When TG*G, and no status for Mrs TK, TG, SQ and NZ have all been great on allowing the 4 of us in. This was when the kids were 'small' (<15 and physically small) and well behaved (as always).

I have noticed that KC can become a bit of a zoo on occasions in comparison to other carrier's lounges - in part, I suspect this might be due to the 'paid access' nature of KC rather than entry buy status alone.

The answer to 'are kids guests' for access purposes will be interesting one. Air NZ's previously generosity and flexibility in the past could be its Achilles heel if there is a tightening up on access.

Cheers, TK

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jun 8, 2011 at 7:19 pm
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I usually find that the children in the lounge are more tolerable than some of the more older people in there - e.g the ones who insist on sharing their phone call or treating the lounge as their local pub. The kids generally go to the kids rooms, play playstation, pool etc and are well behaved. I can't recall ever seeing any running round like headless chickens.

I think kids watching a couple of youtube videos is the least of the issues, it's the more computer savvy ones downloading movies, TV episodes that clog it up; but, in saying that, I never seem to have any issues with internet speeds.

I agree with TK, people have become used to the entitlement of bringing them in and if there is a change of ruling, some could get annoyed.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by brenrox
i usually find that the children in the lounge are more tolerable than some of the more older people in there - e.g the ones who insist on sharing their phone call or treating the lounge as their local pub. The kids generally go to the kids rooms, play playstation, pool etc and are well behaved. I can't recall ever seeing any running round like headless chickens.

I think kids watching a couple of youtube videos is the least of the issues, it's the more computer savvy ones downloading movies, tv episodes that clog it up; but, in saying that, i never seem to have any issues with internet speeds.

I agree with tk, people have become used to the entitlement of bringing them in and if there is a change of ruling, some could get annoyed.
"hey i'm just in the koru lounge!!"
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:25 pm

I can't recall ever seeing any running round like headless chickens.
I do think that was more to blame on that Buy Trans Tasman Flights & we will give you lounge access durring the school hoildays last year was the cause of that one
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Yeah, I've never really noticed children as that big a problem. I agree that those self-important so-and-so's who feel the need to boom their cellphone conversations across the lounge are annoying though, and the no cellphone signs around the TV area in AKL domestic don't seem to deter them either.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:49 pm

Rule 5.5 (d) from Koru T&C's
"(d) Each Child travelling with a member may accompany that Member into a lounge as that Member's guest. Each child over twelve years old will require a Guest Card or will need to surrender a Guest Pass. Children admitted to the Lounges must be closely supervised by an accompanying adult to ensure the comfort and privacy of other Members using the Lounge."

So a child is a guest and a child over 12 needed a Guest Pass. So if you allowed one guest then can take one child in regardless of age, though think they will let under 12's in and then over 12's be the one guest of a member themselves - could be some money here for NZ a Youth membership !!

I much prefer no kids as get fed up seeing some of them pile their plates up high and then leave most of it. if parents were made accountable for their young charges then it may not be too bad.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:22 pm

From Koru:
"Children under 12 are not counted as guests.

The Koru lounge teams will continue to apply discretion to families travelling together. The terms and conditions of the programmes haven’t changed - anyone over the age of 12 will need a guest pass.

Gold members will be able to bring 2 guests in to the lounge per visit."

There is the clear answer, under 12's not counted as guests, over 12 are and will need a pass but staff can make final decision for family groups.
Clear as mud and something we can all rely on when taking the grandkids away
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I don't suppose *G can now admit one person to regional lounges?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I don't suppose *G can now admit one person to regional lounges?
They always have been able to bring in one guess - it's Koru who aren't allowed.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:26 pm

it's Koru who aren't allowed.
From 18June Koru can
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Not good for lounges such as New Plymouth, Palmy, Nelson to name a few, i've seen 30-40 people trying to get into New Plymouth at times its ridiculous!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:10 pm

I usually find that the children in the lounge are more tolerable than some of the more older people in there - e.g the ones who insist on sharing their phone call or treating the lounge as their local pub.
I do not see why you find those two behaviours less tolerable? It is not like the AKL Lounge actually has anywhere quiet or private to go to use your cellphone, and this is a major problem when trying to conduct business.

The quality of liquor served in these lounges is about on par with what you would find being served in your local Lion Red pub or Cossie Club.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound
Not good for lounges such as New Plymouth, Palmy, Nelson to name a few, i've seen 30-40 people trying to get into New Plymouth at times its ridiculous!
And added to the double blow of the poorly catered dump status of the New Plymouth lounge at that...
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Personal as a 21 year old, I would be happy if childern did count as a guest.
Always a pleasure to jump on this bandwagon ...

cavemanzk, I am sure your views as a 21 year old are exactly the same as the vast majority of all 21 year olds with their own access rights to lounges, but if you ever have the joy of children of your own then your view will change. The increased tolerance will be just part of your growing up.

I usually find that the children in the lounge are more tolerable than some of the more older people in there - e.g the ones who insist on sharing their phone call or treating the lounge as their local pub.
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
I do not see why you find those two behaviours less tolerable?
Yeah, I've never really noticed children as that big a problem.
And, for me, these sum up the entire issue. Yes, some children are badly behaved or food fussy and their parents might apply a little more control in controlled environments. And yes, some adults in lounges appear to amplifiy their mobile phone voice or drink more than others. But most people are not like that, and tarring everyone in the category with the same brush is [select your answer from a scale that starts at 'ignorant' and ends at 'unfair'].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.