Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

No longer accepting Koru Club guest passes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer accepting Koru Club guest passes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by skyglow1
When I asked an AKL dom lounge attendant, she said that it was Gold+Koru who could take 2 guests in, and Gold Elite+Koru who could take 6 guests in, and Gold could still only take 1 guest in?
This can't be right given that they refuse to take you money to join Koru if you are Gold Elite.

Well maybe...
Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:42 am

Programs: QF Gold
Bah, that's not good news. I don't want to be put in an embarrassing situation where I take two people up to the lounge and get told it's a no-go.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
Bah, that's not good news. I don't want to be put in an embarrassing situation where I take two people up to the lounge and get told it's a no-go.
Exactly why I checked. Mrs TK is not into lounge entry face-offs ever since that one time with QANTAS at SYD in 1999......a hopeless failure of customer service by QANTAS!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: NZ*G, TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels AdvantagePlus Platinum
Had an interesting situation at the AKL Domestic Koru Lounge today, as was up for business with two of my colleagues and I had only joined Koru beginning of last month (early June) before the change occurred.

In the booklet I was told I read that I was allowed to take up to 3 guests with guest passes but after reading through this forum, seems now that 18 July has passed I am only allowed +1. Interestingly I never received any official confirmation from AirNZ of this change - Maybe they missed me seeing as I joined just after the official announcement to members?

So, I thought that we could go to the Koru Lounge for our return flght to WLG and brought my colleagues along with some guest passes to guest them in - The lady asked for my boarding pass to confirm my Koru status and informed me that the rule is for myself +1, however they were accepting guest passes until the end of August and as I was allowed +1 (as per the standard rule), for my extra guest they would be allowed access and I just needed to supply 1 guest pass. So ended up with myself + 2 guests and we were all happy, however the lounge at that peak time (6pm) was VERY full, took a little while to find a seat - But was good to grab a bit of dinner before the flight.

Anyways, thought that this might be interesting for anyone that might be looking to guest more than 1 person over the next month or so (provided you have enough guest passes as well of course)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:54 am

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
That is very helpful jeremykjtan - thanks very much! It's very surprising that you never got any official notification of the changes.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has previously been reported on this forum as being what should happen, but good to hear it actually has!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I nor my wife (KC member) ever received notification of this rule change.
I guess the rule for *G Koru Gold is still +1 guest. Can anyone confirm if this is different?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I nor my wife (KC member) ever received notification of this rule change.
I guess the rule for *G Koru Gold is still +1 guest. Can anyone confirm if this is different?
I'm not suprised people havn't been notified of the change - I'd imagine the website hasn't even been updated.

I was told by a member of the premium team that you can't be both Koru & Gold and once you reach Gold, your KC membership is refunded (pro-rata).

I have asked a lounge attendant in AKL and they told me Gold get two guests.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
I'm not suprised people havn't been notified of the change - I'd imagine the website hasn't even been updated.

I was told by a member of the premium team that you can't be both Koru & Gold and once you reach Gold, your KC membership is refunded (pro-rata).

I have asked a lounge attendant in AKL and they told me Gold get two guests.
Maybe true but my Koru and Gold anniversary dates are the same date 31 December and they never said anything when I paid 2 years Koru and then Gold was achieved 4 weeks later.

If you are currently Gold and that expires - dates and travel just out by about 7 days - can you then join Koru without the joining fee - this for her in doors.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by jeremykjtan
Had an interesting situation at the AKL Domestic Koru Lounge today, as was up for business with two of my colleagues and I had only joined Koru beginning of last month (early June) before the change occurred.

In the booklet I was told I read that I was allowed to take up to 3 guests with guest passes but after reading through this forum, seems now that 18 July has passed I am only allowed +1. Interestingly I never received any official confirmation from AirNZ of this change - Maybe they missed me seeing as I joined just after the official announcement to members?

So, I thought that we could go to the Koru Lounge for our return flght to WLG and brought my colleagues along with some guest passes to guest them in - The lady asked for my boarding pass to confirm my Koru status and informed me that the rule is for myself +1, however they were accepting guest passes until the end of August and as I was allowed +1 (as per the standard rule), for my extra guest they would be allowed access and I just needed to supply 1 guest pass. So ended up with myself + 2 guests and we were all happy, however the lounge at that peak time (6pm) was VERY full, took a little while to find a seat - But was good to grab a bit of dinner before the flight.

Anyways, thought that this might be interesting for anyone that might be looking to guest more than 1 person over the next month or so (provided you have enough guest passes as well of course)
Not trying to be particularly disrespectful here, but it is people bringing guests at peak times that makes it difficult to find a seat.

It is simply unsustainable to have jet aircraft leaving every quarter of an hour or so with 70 or more passengers from each being in the Koru Lounge prior to departure - particularly given the frequent and expected delays of these peak timed services.

This issue was raised by someone (not me) at the most recent general meeting of the unofficial NZ FT North Island executive committee; at which surprisingly little (if any) liquor was consumed.

Other airlines that have similar problems and offer paid memberships have taken the step of opening more lounges specifically for their highest tier passengers (which funnily enough adds value to that tier and all the evidence points to increased revenue networkwide from that highly profitable segment of customers as a result), but New Zealand's scale and general operating environment appears to preclude such capital and operational expenditure.

I have not enquired as to the impetus behind the Koru Guest Pass switch (as I have termed it) but I do not expect it will result over time in any reduction in crowding.

The simple solution would be a straightforward rule - for the comfort of other passengers, no guests permitted in any domestic lounges between 4pm and 7pm on weekdays excluding public holidays.

It is for this reason I am also against the "children are not counted as guests" rule too.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
It is for this reason I am also against the "children are not counted as guests" rule too.
I watched 'Fair Go' last night - which featured a story on the variability of the definition of a child.

I wonder if Air NZ can provide the criteria for classification as a child for lounge access? (not you personally, of course )
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I watched 'Fair Go' last night - which featured a story on the variability of the definition of a child.

I wonder if Air NZ can provide the criteria for classification as a child for lounge access? (not you personally, of course )
You mean as defined in term 1.1 of the Koru Terms & Conditions?
"Child" means a person who is under the age of 12 and travelling in the company of the Member.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
You mean as defined in term 1.1 of the Koru Terms & Conditions?
C'mon, that is no fun.....

Leaving aside lounge access issues.....the following are also from the NZ website:

Border authorities recommend that persons travelling with a child (under 18 years of age) who is not their child, carry a consent document or letter (signed by the parent or lawful guardian of the child) as well as a copy of the child's birth certificate, to prove that the travellers have the permission of the absent lawful parent(s) or guardian.
or

Adults 15 years and over may travel with a child in their care. If not travelling with an adult 15 years or over children aged 11 years and under can travel alone provided they meet the unaccompanied minors conditions.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: QF Gold
Christchurch has an overcrowding problem, but I don't think Auckland or Wellington do outside the weekday 5pm-7pm weekday rush.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:44 pm

Are you trying to start a Faculty of Law in the Manawatu Thai-Kiwi?

Shazzadude, that may be so. But it is still an overcrowding problem. In the same way that Auckland has traffic problems, even though they only apply for a few hours a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.