Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-RAR starts July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by nzlilibet
I guess Rob Fyfe and his board were there to launch the new flight as well as for the opening of the new terminal.
Not for the first flight. Is Rob still in France (or perhaps on the way back)?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Apparently he left France for Xiamen, China last week. What's in Xiamen I am wondering other than the wide body maintenance facilities there?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
The ANA tool still shows heaps of J avail - am considering going for a longish weekend in August

I'm curious to know what the service would consist of in J
Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by haydensydney
The ANA tool still shows heaps of J avail - am considering going for a longish weekend in August

I'm curious to know what the service would consist of in J
I'll write a report shortly, but the essence is much the same as the shorter Trans-Tasman flights.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
... the essence is much the same as the shorter Trans-Tasman flights.
Which would mean it was fabulous, in true NZ style. Will miss the A320 J

Can't wait to read your report.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
No, maybe not for the first flight. It was, however, reported in the CI News on 24 June (with photo) that the whole board had visited and also looked at the work NZ had done on the cross island walk. You'll have to scroll down to the item.

http://www.cinews.co.ck/other.htm
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nzlilibet
No, maybe not for the first flight. It was, however, reported in the CI News on 24 June (with photo) that the whole board had visited and also looked at the work NZ had done on the cross island walk. You'll have to scroll down to the item.

http://www.cinews.co.ck/other.htm
Article here:

A group of Air NZ board members and senior executive staff, the New Zealand High Commissioner and local Air NZ staff walked across the island this week with legendary guide and medicine man Pa Teuruaa of Pas Mountain Trek.

They had a chance not only to see all of Rarotonga, but also the new and improved trail through the centre of the island, which was upgraded by an Air NZ Green Team two weeks ago.

All of the group were impressed by the great job done by the Green Team in maintaining and upgrading the track for tourists and locals, Air NZ manager David Bridge said.
And I can spot a very tired looking CFO...

Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
According to the news, the first SYD-RAR flight was a success:

July 1st:
"First Sydney flight fully booked
The new direct flight from Sydney has taken off with a bang, according to Cook Islands Tourism (CIT) chief executive Carmel Beattie.

The first direct flight from Sydney lands in Rarotonga on Sunday and is fully booked and flights all the way through July have strong bookings, Beattie said."
http://www.cookislandsnews.com/2010/...htm#1007010107

July 2nd:
"Beattie dispels flight rumours
The Sydney flight that is scheduled to arrive early Sunday morning is nearly full all economy seats are occupied and very few business class seats are still available.
Cook Islands Tourism (CIT) chief executive officer Carmel Beattie dispelled rumours yesterday that the flight is loaded with politicians and travel agents enjoying the perks of free travel."
http://www.cookislandsnews.com/2010/...htm#1007020101

July 5th:
"Warm welcome for Sydney flight
The first direct Sydney flight landed yesterday morning just before 5am to a warm Cook Islands welcome.
Airport personnel and Cook Islands Tourism (CIT) staged a special greeting, which was attended by a number of public figures bedecked in ei and their Sunday best."
http://www.cookislandsnews.com/2010/...htm#1007050907
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
First flight wasn't very full with the cheapest economy & business fares still available right up until departure.
Originally Posted by Vunder31
July 1st:
"First Sydney flight fully booked
The first direct flight from Sydney lands in Rarotonga on Sunday and is fully booked ....http://www.cookislandsnews.com/2010/...htm#1007010107
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I think the CI News reporting is not 100% accurate.
If the flights were such a big success and the booking situation was so good, would the July 11 flight have left with 7s showing for all booking classes except K?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by Vunder31
I think the CI News reporting is not 100% accurate.
If the flights were such a big success and the booking situation was so good, would the July 11 flight have left with 7s showing for all booking classes except K?
Yes, me thinks CI News was telling a wee bit of a porkie. I gather the inaugural flight wasn't even full.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by MrSydney
Yes, me thinks CI News was telling a wee bit of a porkie. I gather the inaugural flight wasn't even full.
I was able to move to an empty row.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:52 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
I think the tourism people are talking up the popularity of the flights for political reasons. There is yet another new head of tourism (they keep resigning) and a large number of senior staff have resigned this year.

So we'll see. But I do notice on flights to RAR from AKL is that business class is just about always full of CI politicians and dignatories. So I'm sure they'll be trying out the new Sydney flight!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 2:28 am

Any closer feel for what the passenger load was like?

Regarding the inventory point raised earlier, perhaps cheap inventory may have been kept open to maximise load for political/marketing reasons for the first flight (would be a bit embarrassing if the flight were empty with media, etc, onboard)?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MrSydney
Porkie ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.