Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-RAR starts July

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Unlikely they would bring back AUS-US due ot the massive competition on the trans-pacific route now
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
Do you think that the SYD-RAR flights would have full J service, or the equiv of TT J service?

Reason I ask is because the NZ AKL-PPE flights are deemed to be full J service (last I heard) which was different to the normal TT / South Pacific service... (and given that the flights are 6 - 7 hours, they are similar in length!)
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
I would say the onboard service will be like the AKL-HNL flights, which isnt much longer than SYD-RAR.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by haydensydney
Do you think that the SYD-RAR flights would have full J service, or the equiv of TT J service?

Reason I ask is because the NZ AKL-PPE flights are deemed to be full J service (last I heard) which was different to the normal TT / South Pacific service... (and given that the flights are 6 - 7 hours, they are similar in length!)
AKL-PPT is considered as long haul service, I flew it in J earlier this year (and this weekend), and they do provide long haul (not TT) menu and the J amenity packs. AKL-PPT is 5 hours, and PPT-AKL is 6 hours. However it is on 767 and thus no Business Premier.

So if this is considered as long haul I would expect SYD-RAR to be long haul as well.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
Hmmm.... I wonder if nz_crew can confirm if this will be long haul service or not??
Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:16 am

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
No info has been released to us. I believe AKL-PPT is full-service due to some sort of French authorities requirement.

I would assume the service would be similar to either AKL-ADL, where there is an Express menu offered plus a light refreshment, OR AKL-PER, which is a longhaul menu plus a light meal (warm scones with cream/jam, fruit bowl, with bar/tea service), although looking at the flight times for the flights, afternoon tea seems unlikely!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Looking forward to this even so a red eye flight on a 767 is never great, especially when traveling with a small child.
But if this experiment works, maybe we will see NZ expand into more Australia-Pacific Island services?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

@DownUnderFlyer

There was an artcile last week, where NZ was talking about how they think Australia is finally over Ansett & Australians seem to by flying NZ heaps now.

They noted that they are keen on expanding to the EX-AU market not going via NZ.

I'd say SYD-APW will be next!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I'd say SYD-APW will be next!
Unlikely IMO. DJ flies Australia to Samoa.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 8:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
First flight wasn't very full with the cheapest economy & business fares still available right up until departure.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
First flight wasn't very full with the cheapest economy & business fares still available right up until departure.
Hopefully traffic will pick up, or the Cook Islands government will lose money again.
Perhaps NZ will downgrade the equipment to an A320 if traffic doesn't pick up.
The current schedule (leave SYD Sunday, arrive at RAR Sunday morning, return Friday afternoon) doesn't seem that good. Arriving at RAR on a Sunday when most things are closed and then only have 4.5 days to enjoy the CI Monday-Friday may be too short for some people, and adding another full week may be too long. Having the Sunday morning arriving equipment return to SYD would allow more almost a day and a half more.
I'm booked on SYD-RAR in September, changing my original travel date so that I can take the SYD-RAR flight to support the route. Hopefully the route will still be operational.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

An A320 couldn't do it with out a Tech stop, would defeat the purpose of the direct flight.

SYD-RAR 6hrs
RAR-SYD 7.15hrs

Hence why DJ has to fly SYD-AKL-RAR-AKL-SYD
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I have an awful feeling this service will not last long, with the 763 being too big.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:52 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Originally Posted by MrSydney
I have an awful feeling this service will not last long, with the 763 being too big.
I think you may be right which will be a pity as the Cooks are banking on it. But as others have said, the timing is odd. For that length of flight it would be much better to have a full week on Raro.

I guess Rob Fyfe and his board were there to launch the new flight as well as for the opening of the new terminal.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:17 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Pretty sure it's winter school holidays at the moment too so this would be their busiest time of the year I'd imagine for a destination like that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.