Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

FAQ 4A1 - Questions relating to the French co-branded FB Amex card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 4A1 - Questions relating to the French co-branded FB Amex card

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2023, 11:31 am
Suspended

Never heard of this gesture for the platinum card despite huge money spent.
they did it for me for years but never for my colleagues or my bosses way avive my paygrid with plat cards.

my assumption is that Amex considers that if you can spend 50k a year, you will not chase them for 570€
Old May 3, 2023, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by macaron95
That it's configured for all Gold members automatically.
it's not

Originally Posted by maalloc
Interesting data point, thanks.
Didn’t you call every year to get your annual fees waived though ?

For sure there is nothing automatic about the system, since I’ve been billing > 20k on this card since day 1, and I’m yet to get a free year. Same for other old timers it seems.
I do confirm. I have this card since 1999 and never had a single fee waived 😬.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Originally Posted by maalloc
Same for other old timers it seems.
I do confirm. I have this card since 1999 and never had a single fee waived 😬.
And here I was, actively trying not to call anyone an old chap

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Do they also waive the fees for Platinum cards? The threshold may be higher than 20k per year, but I put a nice six figure sum on the card on the year, that should qualify if such a waiver does exist.
Good question.
I'm certainly putting way less than you on my Amex (low 6 figures/y) but FYI when I called to enquire about the 20k threshold for Gold, they looked at my spending pattern and simply tried to talk me out of the (now free) Gold to switch to a paying Platinum card . Let us know what they can offer you!
Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by maalloc; May 3, 2023 at 1:40 pm
Old May 3, 2023, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Same here for several years now every time i was calling, they tried to convince me taking the platinum.
i also noticed that i have a banner appearing on my account (web version). I recently receive an email with a link as an « invitation » with a dedicated very very long landing page detailing the benefits. When you are done scrolling, you only see the price at the very end with a price per month instead of the annual fee
Old May 3, 2023, 2:00 pm
Suspended

maalloc Goldorak do you have more than one Amex ? not a secondary card linked to the AF Amex but another different Amex ?
Old May 3, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
maalloc Goldorak do you have more than one Amex ? not a secondary card linked to the AF Amex but another different Amex ?
I just have an AFKL Amex Gold these days. I used to have a corporate Amex but I dropped it about 15+ years ago so it must be long-forgotten in their system.
Old May 3, 2023, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
only one Amex.
Old May 4, 2023, 1:30 am
Suspended

did you call to have this fixed and get a credit next month ?
Old May 4, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: FB Ultimate - BA EC - LH M&M - Accor All Gold
I have the Gold card as well and I had to call last January to get the fee reimbursed. Never got it before either.
At first the agent told me that there was no "option" that would allow to waive it automatically every year if you spend more than 20k€.
Then he looked at my spendings and proposed me to refund the 180€ or to "offer" me 20000 FB miles .
I took the money .
frec63_ft likes this.
Old May 4, 2023, 10:05 am
Suspended

it's funny how the info is totally different from one agent to another regarding the refund process. For me, i was told that it's automatic and it really was. For others, it wasn't. The only correct info is that annual fee is waived when spending more than 20k€.
So in the end, keep an eye open on your anniversary statement.
Old May 7, 2023, 3:24 am

Hi all,

I have just received my FB amex gold a few days ago, and wondering how the travel insurance works. I am an Austrian resident but spend a good amount of time working in France, that's how I got my amex, where I rent an apartment to stay whenever I have to work here. I also owns another amex gold from austria, which the insurance policy is quite different from the FB one. In case if anything happens, am I allowed to claim the FB amex insurance (for example for rental car damage, which the Austrian one doesn't include) although I am not a resident in France? How the domicile works or does it just depends on whether you are outside of France (or Austria)?

Thank you very much in advance!
Old May 7, 2023, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by jacky97531
Hi all,

I have just received my FB amex gold a few days ago, and wondering how the travel insurance works. I am an Austrian resident but spend a good amount of time working in France, that's how I got my amex, where I rent an apartment to stay whenever I have to work here. I also owns another amex gold from austria, which the insurance policy is quite different from the FB one. In case if anything happens, am I allowed to claim the FB amex insurance (for example for rental car damage, which the Austrian one doesn't include) although I am not a resident in France? How the domicile works or does it just depends on whether you are outside of France (or Austria)?

You have to use the insurance service of the card you use to pay for a trip (flight ticket, rental car, etc). If you pay a rental car with card A, you cannot use the insurance of card B but have to use the one of card A.
And the domicile is the one you have declared for your card subscription.
Old May 7, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by jacky97531
Hi all,

to be covered , the trip should somehow start from France.
Old May 7, 2023, 2:33 pm
Suspended

A former colleague who split his time between several countries with bank account and credit cards in each of them had an issue once for a minor accident, hopefully he also had the company insurance to take over the credit card insurance that declined to cover when they found out his country of residence was not matching his card.

so you’d better call amex or the insurance directly if you are covered.
carnarvon likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 1:08 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
(...) so you’d better call amex or the insurance directly if you are covered.
Given the reports on Trustpilot, I would suggest not to rely solely on the information received by phone, but to double check in the written T&C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.