Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

FAQ 4A1 - Questions relating to the French co-branded FB Amex card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 4A1 - Questions relating to the French co-branded FB Amex card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: Some...
AFAIK, when there is a strike, you can exchange for free or get reimbursed directly by the SNCF.

You shouldn't need to go to your travel insurance.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by thibderoc
AFAIK, when there is a strike, you can exchange for free or get reimbursed directly by the SNCF.

his concern may be about missing his flight, not the reimbursement of the train ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:38 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
In a Facebook group I read that the price of the French platinum FB Amex is going up to eur 636 per year.
fifty_two likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by macaron95
Hi there,

I have looking for the info on the Amex' website but failed to find it in the terms and conditions. I was wondering if someone knows. Anyways, I will try to call the insurance this morning to know more.

But do you know if the insurance included in the AFKL Amex Gold covers train cancellation (i.e in case of a strike) ?

The T&C give details about flights, but do not seem to mention trains.

We need to take a train to CDG on the 15th before flying the next day, and of course, our beloved French unions have just announced to be on strike on the 11th and the 15th...

thanks
A few years ago (during the 2019 SNCF strike), I have successfully being reimbursed by the Amex insurance for a rental car + gas + tolls after SNCF cancelled pretty much all trains between Paris and Geneva, and flights were also not a real option (again, strikes ). They deduced from the refund the cost of the train tickets since SNCF was supposed to refund that (which they did), and there was some (easy) negotiation around expenses I could not pay through Amex that I included, but it was quite an honest offer in the end.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by Gajan
In a Facebook group I read that the price of the French platinum FB Amex is going up to eur 636 per year.
sky is the limit
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
I suggest you read the comments on Trustpilot website.

I can confirm through personal experience that the complaints are more than plausible.

The grade of 1.6/5 well deserved.
fifty_two likes this.

Last edited by carnarvon; Mar 9, 2023 at 11:31 pm
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

I confirm. Just had the experience
Old Mar 9, 2023, 11:41 pm
Suspended

well, my fear is not about exchanging or getting a refund but more if there is no train at all

what happens in this case ? is the insurance helping reaching the destination ?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lynxy
A few years ago (during the 2019 SNCF strike), I have successfully being reimbursed by the Amex insurance for a rental car + gas + tolls after SNCF cancelled pretty much all trains between Paris and Geneva, and flights were also not a real option (again, strikes ). They deduced from the refund the cost of the train tickets since SNCF was supposed to refund that (which they did), and there was some (easy) negotiation around expenses I could not pay through Amex that I included, but it was quite an honest offer in the end.
I called Amex yesterday, at first, the woman said, sorry SNCF strike, we don't cover, then i read her a part of the T&C saying flight, train or boat cancelled... then she said oh yeah, you'll get 150 euros per person...

at first, no, then yes within 2 minutes. I wonder if i have to call again to get a second confirmation. Because let's say I have no train at all, I don't want to spend XXX euros from my own pocket based on someone at Amex not even sure about what she says...
carnarvon, lynxy and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Received the mail at home today. So to justify the price increase from 570 to 636 (dont know how they got to this random number 636...), they said they have "added 4 new perks":

- Wifi refund up to 75€ (not new, started in June 2021 as an offer and became permanent advantage in June 2022)
- Cookoon offer (more than a year old as well) and quite useless if you don't live in Paris and i heard pretty expensive but never tried.
- Some online doctor thing that most people already have with their health coverage in France.
- and BEST perk of all: pay with miles as if i m going to give them 1000 miles for 4 €.

in the meantime they forgot that this card does not insure anymore flights that are not AF/KLM.

if not for the Platinum for 2 perk, i would have removed this card a long time ago.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newflyer27
I have platinum AF card and i don't have it and my partner has gold AF card and has the offer so go figure how it works
I had the opportunity to discuss with some Amex marketing counterparts while working with Accor and they told me that they have a clear strategy to attract and acquire customers with the Silver card and trying to retain them quickly to make them become Gold members, while trying to make Gold members spend more and keep the annual expenses within a specific range to be profitable. And they clearly told me that Plat members are a specific segment, considered as high-contribution clients "who don't need to get motivated to spend".

But still, it doesn't explain why I see lots of offer all the time as a gold member while my wife doesn't (she owns a free secondary gold card from my account).
Old Mar 11, 2023, 2:55 am

Programs: FB Ultimate - BA EC - LH M&M - Accor All Gold
But still, it doesn't explain why I see lots of offer all the time as a gold member while my wife doesn't (she owns a free secondary gold card from my account).
Usualy offers don't apply to free secondary cards.

flyertalker00143 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:19 am
Suspended

I have travelled much less these past 3 years because of covid, because i left Paris but also because I have a 3-year old now.
I have been using the AF Amex Gold card for the past 14 years and was really with it but not i feel that earning FB miles is no longer of interest for me. But the thing is, Amex is waiving the annual fee every year so I've never paid for my card.

I feel that the regular Amex Gold card would offer more options thanks to its MR program.

Is it worth moving from the AF Gold card to the regular Gold card ?

and is Amex also offering to waive the fees if we spend a certain amount of money every year?
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
But the thing is, Amex is waiving the annual fee every year so I've never paid for my card.
Whaaattt ? How did you manage to obtain this ? I have this card since 1999, spend a fortune with it every year and b-never manage to have this, not even one year.
maalloc likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Whaaattt ? How did you manage to obtain this ? I have this card since 1999, spend a fortune with it every year and b-never manage to have this, not even one year.
I started my first year with the silver card and if i remember well, if you spend more than 7k or 8k by the next anniversary, the fee is automatically waived. Then I moved to the gold one and asked if the same system applies and I was told that depending on my expenses, they would consider it on a yearly basis. And that's what happened for the past 13 years. Calling every year around March/April when comes my Amex anniversary, they look at my expenses and then waive the annual fee on the statement by giving me the same amount as a credit.
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.