Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Your flight is in 2018, discover Flying Blue new programme rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your flight is in 2018, discover Flying Blue new programme rules

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ditto
Can you really get gold today with only 2000€? (based on miles, not segments, and without excessive mileage runs like going to IKT )
Even on your mysterious route that gives you 2500 level miles for 270€, you need to spend 4320€, which is also presumably at least 16 r/t which gets you gold by segments earlier.
There are some sweet spots to/from russia and the route I always take are 6 segments per run so only 12 r/t for Plat Indeed segments would be only possible for 2000€ and less I guess or doing SVO-CDG-TLV x2 which is about 1100€ and gives you nearly gold... so yeah it is possible.

I just don't like the fact that I doesn't count how much you fly, but I counts how much you pay. Which in that regards means I could fly CDG-AMS on a 1000€ ticket and get 8.000 miles because I am Plat right?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by FaBSy
There are some sweet spots to/from russia and the route I always take are 6 segments per run so only 12 r/t for Plat Indeed segments would be only possible for 2000€ and less I guess or doing SVO-CDG-TLV x2 which is about 1100€ and gives you nearly gold... so yeah it is possible.
That is indeed a soft spot since both SVO and TLV are considered to be European destinations giving 250%, but I wouldn't want to take such a big detour to fly between the 2 cities, I would consider this to be one of those "excessive" milage runs, given that it would also require quite a long positioning flight for most PAX, as well as you don't even get a proper J seat on the longer flight, nor on the shorter flight unless you get a codeshare with SU.

I just don't like the fact that I doesn't count how much you fly, but I counts how much you pay. Which in that regards means I could fly CDG-AMS on a 1000€ ticket and get 8.000 miles because I am Plat right?
But that's not that different than how it was today, today you still get a % of the distance based on how much you paid, it's jut not directly linked to € spent, instead it's linked to the booking class which in turns is linked to € spent.

Last edited by Ditto; Oct 1, 2017 at 9:11 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
With the US programmes, are status miles calculated the same way (based on spending)? The FB screenshot only talks about Award miles. Frankly, personally, I have never really earned many miles from flying on cheap economy fares so I am not that concerned...however status miles, or status in general, is much more important. Is earning status going to change as well...
NO! In Skymiles your status miles are still earned the old way - by distance flown. You can qualify by either Q-miles or Q-segments BUT you have to meet a minimum $ spending for each tier. For Delta it's
$ 3000 for silver
$ 6000 for gold
$ 9000 for plat
$ 15000 for diamond
right now.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:57 am

But that's not that different than how it was today, today you still get a % of the distance based on how much you paid, it's jut not directly linked to € spent, instead it's linked to the booking class which in turns is linked to € spent.
I got that Ditto, but with the new system I would be linked to that amount of money per year to get to the threshold for Gold/Plat. Now I can try to find the balance between cash and mileage gain. On some occasions I might get under that threshold and on some maybe even above.
Just wouldn't like the experience "in my head" it's january 1st and the goal for me would be: "Spend 5000€ with KLM/AF" instead of "Maybe I could do one/two great/cheap trips this year and get a lot of miles without spending 5000€ to get gold".
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:12 am

Just wouldn't like the experience "in my head" it's january 1st and the goal for me would be: "Spend 5000€ with KLM/AF" instead of "Maybe I could do one/two great/cheap trips this year and get a lot of miles without spending 5000€ to get gold".
I guess we will have to wait and see, the screenshot is only for award miles, so level miles might not be affected at all...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:26 am

I guess we will have to wait and see, the screenshot is only for award miles, so level miles might not be affected at all...
Indeed, but I guess no one would like to fly real 20.000 miles and get 1000 miles back
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BER Flyer
NO! In Skymiles your status miles are still earned the old way - by distance flown. You can qualify by either Q-miles or Q-segments BUT you have to meet a minimum $ spending for each tier. For Delta it's
$ 3000 for silver
$ 6000 for gold
$ 9000 for plat
$ 15000 for diamond
right now.
I understood Xandrios's question as asking whether spend was relevant only for awards and not for elite qualification.

Under US programmes (whether DL's Skymiles or AA's AAdvantage), spend is relevant for qualification too, in that you need to achieve the required number of miles or segments AND the required spend.

Your post is 100% accurate but I think it is important to place the emphasis on the fact that the spend target must be achieved and it is not possible to qualify for elite status just on segments or distance+booking class.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I'm wondering what is going to happen to miles earn through the AF Amex.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NickB
Yes.
No. Status miles are not calculated the same way. They are still calculated based on the distance and multiplied by 1.5 or 2 depending on the higher fare classes.

The route I always fly gets me 10,368 status miles in Economy and 15,554 in Business no matter how much I pay for the flight, however, the award miles vary depending on the ticket price.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound
No. Status miles are not calculated the same way. They are still calculated based on the distance and multiplied by 1.5 or 2 depending on the higher fare classes.

The route I always fly gets me 10,368 status miles in Economy and 15,554 in Business no matter how much I pay for the flight, however, the award miles vary depending on the ticket price.
I refer the honourable FT member to post #22 .
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:04 pm

Indeed, but I guess no one would like to fly real 20.000 miles and get 1000 miles back
That would make some MRs not so nice anymore
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I refer the honourable FT member to post #22 .
Started to reply before you quoted on post #22 , therefore I was unable to notice your previous response.

However, for those of us who don't live in the U.S, spending is not taken into account (at least on DL and UA) since only those residing in the US have to spend a minimum amount to be able to reach a specific status.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
If one is to book tickets for travel after this comes into force [potentially], would the old or new rules apply at the time of mileage crediting?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jms_uk
If one is to book tickets for travel after this comes into force [potentially], would the old or new rules apply at the time of mileage crediting?
IIRC, historically, FB has applied new earning rules regardless of booking date although the legality of such an approach is rather dubious.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I understood Xandrios's question as asking whether spend was relevant only for awards and not for elite qualification.

Under US programmes (whether DL's Skymiles or AA's AAdvantage), spend is relevant for qualification too, in that you need to achieve the required number of miles or segments AND the required spend.

Your post is 100% accurate but I think it is important to place the emphasis on the fact that the spend target must be achieved and it is not possible to qualify for elite status just on segments or distance+booking class.
The spending requirement in US programs is only for US residents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.