Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Your flight is in 2018, discover Flying Blue new programme rules

Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I tried tonight the Miles calculator for a flight in 2018 between CDG and SIN in Z and I have a bug (system looking for a Tel Aviv via NY instead of CDG-SIN) and this message "Your flight is in 2018, discover Flying Blue new programme rules"

Unfortunately when I click on it nothing happen.

Any idea/ informations ?
Not sure it will be good...

Best
Azur
Attached Images    
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ♪♪♪ 7 ™
It seems to be something to do with the date. A flight I have in January 2018 to BKK gives me 31606 miles in my booking and the calculator. But if I change the date to 1st May 2108 or later I get the same result as you.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
This doesn't look very promising even though I kinda expected it to go this way given what we have now in the US with all major airlines. However, the euro-to-miles conversion rate is worse than what we get here.

As an AA executive platinum member (the highest tier) I earn 11 miles per dollar spent. The lower tiers earn: platinum pro -- 9 miles/$, platinum (equivalent to FB gold) -- 8 miles/$, gold (equivalent of FB silver) -- 7 miles/$; no status (like ivory) -- 5 miles/$.

Given that in general people use air transport more often in the US than in Europe, this all gives very bad impression about the program. I would predict that many people would migrate to Delta SkyMiles or other programs once FB has implemented these changes.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: FB Gold
This only appears (at least when I check) when calculate an AF flight. If I select KL, I get "normal" results even for 2018. But indeed a leak of things to come...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
I really hoped that days would never come. Am I assuming right, that this means:
If you pay a lot you get a lot of miles, if you fly cheap (e.g. errorfare or just great fares) you may fly a lot of miles but get no real value?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:19 am

Can you see what the asterisk means or is the explanation hidden?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:24 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So there we go; the end of FB as we know it. It was bound to happen some day.

With the US programmes, are status miles calculated the same way (based on spending)? The FB screenshot only talks about Award miles. Frankly, personally, I have never really earned many miles from flying on cheap economy fares so I am not that concerned...however status miles, or status in general, is much more important. Is earning status going to change as well...

Last edited by Xandrios; Oct 1, 2017 at 3:40 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Interesting. We knew that be with rules were coming as FB announced something like 1.5 or 2 years ago that they wanted to simplify the program. We were expecting some announcements last year but nothing came and the program was even getting more complicated for the earnings on medium-haul flights. As any major rule change must be obviously implemented for Jan 1st, we can surely expect announcements soon.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
With the US programmes, are status miles calculated the same way (based on spending)?
Yes.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:24 am

Getting 4 miles per € spent (as Ivory) means that even for a cheap 99€ flight, one would get 396 miles for a R/T, which seems better than the minimum you get today, e.g. 750*20% or 300 miles.
In fact, I've paid more than once 200-250€ and still got only 25% mileage, so this seems to be an 'improvement'

It does mean less miles for cheap business class tickets though, and potentially completely removing the 250% you now get for connecting EU segments...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Getting 4 miles per € spent (as Ivory) means that even for a cheap 99€ flight, one would get 396 miles for a R/T, which seems better than the minimum you get today, e.g. 750*20% or 300 miles.
In fact, I've paid more than once 200-250€ and still got only 25% mileage, so this seems to be an 'improvement'

It does mean less miles for cheap business class tickets though, and potentially completely removing the 250% you now get for connecting EU segments...
Except that it is unlikely that €s spent on taxes and/or charges would count, so that €99 fare would translate to, say, a €58 base fare on AMS-BCN-AMS for instance. That's why I asked about the asterisk.

It gets worse for intercontinental travel where the base fare tends to be only a fraction of the total cost in lower fare classes.

ETA: Skymiles counts base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

Last edited by CosmicGirl; Oct 1, 2017 at 6:51 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
And for some trips I do, I get around 2500 miles though paying only 270€. That would be a very big loss.
I mean isn't that whole concept only there to make only the "High-payer" be Gold/Plat? You would have to spend like 10.000€ to get Gold which you can atm get for 1000-2000€.
Now there are intra european business trips which give you around 25.000 miles as Plat for 550€..That would only be 4500 after the new concept...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Except that it is unlikely that €s spent on taxes and/or charges would count, so that €99 fare would translate to, say, a €58 base fare on AMS-BCN-AMS for instance. That's why I asked about the asterisk.
That's possible I guess, still for some tickets it would be an improvement, if we take your AMS-BCN-AMS r/t example, you will need the base fare to be 94€ or higher to earn more than the 25% you get today for the same ticket, this puts the total ticket price at 134€ (which is a V fare)
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by FaBSy
And for some trips I do, I get around 2500 miles though paying only 270€. That would be a very big loss.
I mean isn't that whole concept only there to make only the "High-payer" be Gold/Plat? You would have to spend like 10.000€ to get Gold which you can atm get for 1000-2000€.
Now there are intra european business trips which give you around 25.000 miles as Plat for 550€..That would only be 4500 after the new concept...
Can you really get gold today with only 2000€? (based on miles, not segments, and without excessive mileage runs like going to IKT )
Even on your mysterious route that gives you 2500 level miles for 270€, you need to spend 4320€, which is also presumably at least 16 r/t which gets you gold by segments earlier.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: Many
Unfortunately that was quite expected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.