Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by flyingjapans
If there is availability you will be proposed a seat in W/J/P on the check in page. I have sometimes been proposed cash only or cash OR miles - I cannot comment on which situations lead you to be offered a price in either currency.
*This* is the bit I find confusing.

As far as I know Air France only targets some customers with an upgrade offer. So only those targeted can pick a seat in a different cabin and will be quoted the price in miles/cash. Someone who is not targeted cannot just pick a seat in a different cabin and get a price quote.

That is the situation where I understand that one needs to call the airline. Which then leaves the question:
  • Will they be able to make an offer, even for someone who had not been targeted? Or will they merely re-price the ticket?
  • Are the people on the phone able to do the same things as those at the check-in counter?
but this is only educated observations : I do not have any confirmation from AF.
This is the part that worries me most: if neither you nor Goldorak can explain the system, then there is an issue with Air France not making the system sufficiently clear.

I have called AF yesterday for something else (award ticket for a child travelling solo) so I also asked them what the various options were regarding upgrades.

First agent: had to ask, and doing so dropped the line
Second agent: said there was no such thing as last minute upgrade and said the ticket would need to be re-priced
(I really wanted to know so I called a) Third agent: extremely confused and equally confusing in his explanations, which contradicted each other („if you get an offer you can call but also when you don‘t get an offer you can do it online where you‘ll get a phone number you can call...“)

Even AF is clueless (OK, that‘s not new, which is why we have this forum).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
This is the part that worries me most: if neither you nor Goldorak can explain the system, then there is an issue with Air France not making the system sufficiently clear.
I do believe that's very much on purpose
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I do believe that's very much on purpose
You are 100% right. More than a belief, it is a certainty.

A fact that most here seem to forget, is that AF is genetically adverse to the idea of non-operational upgrades (other than for F&F).

Management and market realities have forced the "system" to introduce the concept of paid upgrades, but like in a human body, antibodies fight this "infection" in all possible ways. They cannot fight the idea outright, so they make it the way it is: clear as mud so they keep the upper hand and make sure that even their best customers don't know what to expect; as a result they cannot plan anything and this is exactly what AF wants.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
I have browsed through the entire thread again and couldn't get a full comprehension of what the various options are. Maybe someone can help me, it's concrete questions:
  • Before OLCI opens, I can call the airline and ask to upgrade to the higher class. Two things may happen:
    • They'll apply the normal fare difference in cash
    • If there is award space, they'll ask for a boat-load of miles. But only if there is award space. The number of miles is taken off the award chart, where the number of miles is determined by the zone one is flying to and the classe one is trying to move into. It's independent of the booked fare as long as the fare is eligible for upgrade (but for instance, it doesn't matter whether one is booked in M or Y booking class, miles upgrade to Premium Economy cost the same; D or J booking class, miles upgrade to Premiere cost the same, and so on...)
  • Some passengers get an offer to upgrade when they check in online. Offer can be cash or miles or both. But that is only for some (and somehow never me)
Is this correct so far?

Where I am lost now is what my options are if I do not get such an offer, within the time window of OLCI:
  • Can I check online for an upgrade, in either cash or miles? How? Where on the site? When I go into my booking I cannot see that option
  • If I call the airline, what price would they quote me? The same as if I had called before OLCI opens? Or does dynamic pricing kick in?
  • Can I ask at the airport? Where? At the ticket counter, or the check-counter? What price would they quote me? The same as if I had called before OLCI opens? Or does dynamic pricing kick in?
  • Are there any other factors that influence availability? Status?
  • Are there any other factors that influence price (cash or miles)? Status?
A lot in the past 39 pages have been anecdotes of individual offers and in the beginning of the thread there was a lot of "I think this is how it works". But maybe now that the new system is not so new anymore we could establish some kind of Wiki. That would be really useful (happy to write it, but I just don't have the facts).

Thanks
I had a conversation with someone about this on the platinum service line the other day. Here is what I was told:

1/ Up until more than 30 hours before the (KLM) flight, there are two options for an upgrade.
a) Sometimes, but not always, there is a discounted upgrade availability, but on none of the four flights I happen to have coming up there was any such availability. I am not sure whether this availability would be to everyone, or only to platinum members, and whether you could only pay with cash or also with miles.
b) More generally, in all cases (with available seats), there is the option to rebook a flight, which can be done for each flight segment separately. However, these prices would not be discounted, and can be very expensive (e.g. for an AMS-LAX flight, the cost was ~8,000 euro).

2/ From 30 hours before departure onward, discounted upgrades may become available. I was told this would be the case if at least four business class seats were still empty at that point, although I assume the details depend on the kind of flight (my typical route is something like AMS-JFK). Those kind of upgrades can be paid with either X miles or Y cash, or combinations of e.g. 25%, 50%, or 75% miles with 75%, 50%, or 25% cash. This is the kind of upgrade you can typically book online at check in, but you can also do them on the phone, although I was told that for flights out of Amsterdam this would be no problem whereas for flights out of the US, this may need to be done at the airport. I see that a lot of people here are suggesting that the pricing of this depends on a lot of factors, but in my experience I have often seen the exact same offers: for example, on AMS-JFK, which I fly regularly, sometimes there is no availability, but when there is I have multiple times, both online and at the airport gate, been offered an economy to business upgrade for 499 euro or 62400 miles, or a combination of these two, so at least to me this has seemed to be independent of other factors.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But that is exactly where I find it confusing: if every passenger can call them and get an offer, why do they only proactively offer it to some, and not to others? Or could it be that I call them and they will not make an offer because I am not in the group of pax they target?
The latter, AIUI. There simply is no guarantee that you will get an offer whether online or by calling.
That either is something that I do not understand, or their system is absurd.
As others have suggested, there seems to be an element of randomness in the algorithm, presumably so as not to cannibalise initial sales. I can see the logic of a randomness element up to a point and they are not the only airline to do this (BA's proactive upgrade programme also seems to have a randomness element, even though they seemingly have not cranked up the randomness quite as high as AF). If you compare to the highly predictable bidding upgrade programme of an airline like ET, for instance, I do not think that I would ever buy a straight business class ticket on ET when I know that I have a 90% chance of being successful in an upgrade bid at a fraction of the original cost.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by NickB
The latter, AIUI. There simply is no guarantee that you will get an offer whether online or by calling.
As others have suggested, there seems to be an element of randomness in the algorithm, presumably so as not to cannibalise initial sales. I can see the logic of a randomness element up to a point and they are not the only airline to do this (BA's proactive upgrade programme also seems to have a randomness element, even though they seemingly have not cranked up the randomness quite as high as AF). If you compare to the highly predictable bidding upgrade programme of an airline like ET, for instance, I do not think that I would ever buy a straight business class ticket on ET when I know that I have a 90% chance of being successful in an upgrade bid at a fraction of the original cost.
that is correct.
I spoke with a purser the other day and KL (AF I don’t know) are offering certain selected customers a one time offer to upgrade from Y/Y+ to J. They select pax that they think could be tempted in buying a full fare J ticket in the future and with this offer they want to give these pax a true “once in a lifetime” offer. Then you have to think of a price of around 3/400 euro for an upgrade for 1 leg aboard long haul J cabin.
Once this unique offer is used, it will not appear again. Future upgrade offers are “normal” and dynamic. So if KL wants to fill their empty J cabin while they have a heavily overbooked Y cabin, it could be interesting to offer a low upgrade price because they know they have to bump some pax for free anyway. In this situation it has nothing to do with a once in a lifetime offer, it’s just luck.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by BobTL

that is correct.
I spoke with a purser the other day and KL (AF I don’t know) are offering certain selected customers a one time offer to upgrade from Y/Y+ to J. They select pax that they think could be tempted in buying a full fare J ticket in the future and with this offer they want to give these pax a true “once in a lifetime” offer. Then you have to think of a price of around 3/400 euro for an upgrade for 1 leg aboard long haul J cabin.
Once this unique offer is used, it will not appear again. Future upgrade offers are “normal” and dynamic. So if KL wants to fill their empty J cabin while they have a heavily overbooked Y cabin, it could be interesting to offer a low upgrade price because they know they have to bump some pax for free anyway. In this situation it has nothing to do with a once in a lifetime offer, it’s just luck.
Flight crews are as clew-less as we are about the offers for upgrade. The purser you spoke with "believes", "thinks" that AF behaves this or that way for this and that reason, but in fact does not know.

Think about it again. How can one reasonably think that offering an upgrade to NEV4 to a frequent flyer bloke (the kind who can afford business class but buys economy because he has no clue how good business class is ) will make him/her buy full fare biz the next time he/she flies?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Flight crews are as clew-less as we are about the offers for upgrade. The purser you spoke with "believes", "thinks" that AF behaves this or that way for this and that reason, but in fact does not know.

Think about it again. How can one reasonably think that offering an upgrade to NEV4 to a frequent flyer bloke (the kind who can afford business class but buys economy because he has no clue how good business class is ) will make him/her buy full fare biz the next time he/she flies?
I am talking about KL, not AF. The purser told me he had been in a meeting how the special upgrades work.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:51 am

OK, I think I just got my most ridiculous OLCI upgrade offers ever. JFK to CDG tomorrow in economy on the A380:
$659.43 to Premium Economy and...
$1932.61 to Business .

What. The. Hell. I'll go ask at the airport as well to see what they have in store and maybe get another good laugh.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Klems
OK, I think I just got my most ridiculous OLCI upgrade offers ever. JFK to CDG tomorrow in economy on the A380:
$1932.61 to Business .

What. The. Hell. I'll go ask at the airport as well to see what they have in store and maybe get another good laugh.
I had $ 1.549 LY. Same route and aircraft. Departure at 10 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat

I had $ 1.549 LY. Same route and aircraft. Departure at 10 PM.
Well, this is becoming pathetic.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Klems
$1932.61 to Business .

Got the equivalent in Euros for the same route last year.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:03 pm

I am talking about KL, not AF. The purser told me he had been in a meeting how the special upgrades work.
Point made and taken. KL is a different airline from AF. And KL 777 biz seats are 1 to even 2 worlds apart from NEV4.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by NickB
But this is the confusing bit. I read through the OP again, which to me reads as if any passenger can request a quote (cash/miles) for an upgrade. The randomness does exist for the selection of passengers who get proactively targeted - but if I understand the OP correctly also people that are not targeted can make the request. Or did I misunderstand the OP and all the explanations only relate to the pro-active offers that go out to selected people?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But this is the confusing bit. I read through the OP again, which to me reads as if any passenger can request a quote (cash/miles) for an upgrade. The randomness does exist for the selection of passengers who get proactively targeted - but if I understand the OP correctly also people that are not targeted can make the request. Or did I misunderstand the OP and all the explanations only relate to the pro-active offers that go out to selected people?
Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by offer. I thought you meant a discounted upgrade offer. If what you are asking is: can I get a non-discounted upgrade (other than a full reprice according to fare rules) If I ask at check-in on the day, then, AIUI, anybody can get such an upgrade as long as there is miles upgrade availability but it seems to me these are different processes, are they not?

If you translate it to the BA world, the first one is what BA would call a pro-active upgrade (if offered online) or an airport upgrade (if offered at check-in). This is the one which is targeted.

The second is what in the BA world would be an ordinary miles upgrade (therefore always available at standard upgrade awards rate as long as there is award upgrade availability) but with the added twist in the AF world, that the price in miles in the AF world is not a set universal amount as in the BA world but instead varies dynamically and that it can also be converted (albeit only at check-in time) to a cash sum instead of a miles amount.

That is how I understand it but perhaps I am cognitively biased and my understanding is too coloured by BA processes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.