Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I believe you...
It is actually mindblowing that they can quote you such outrageous buy-up price on their most expensive Y ticket on a 1h50m flight and then, on the same PNR, sell you an upgrade for only 24,000 miles for a 11 hour flight.
Both on CPH-CDG and CDG-PTY sectors, J class was half empty - and yet they offer totally disproportionate prices (if you want to compare prices in miles to prices in cash).
I think at this point it's save to say that theres absolutley no logic behind their offers. Also considering your offer being based on a Mini fare.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum - Royal Orchid Gold - Accor A-Club Platinum

Speaks for itself.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by franck75002
Speaks for itself.
This is absolutely insane. I just paid this amount but for a roundtrip I booked in J for later this year!

I'm also taking this flight on Saturday in Y, we will see if they come up with something similar.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by franck75002

Speaks for itself.
Originally Posted by Klems
This is absolutely insane. I just paid this amount but for a roundtrip I booked in J for later this year!

I'm also taking this flight on Saturday in Y, we will see if they come up with something similar.
Totally insane indeed. I reported the same exact price on this route back in October:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28905306-post57.html
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:45 am

Then the offer on AMS-JFK last weekend for 1.299 euro suddenly gets a bargain😂😂
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

CDG-BEY from (lowest) PE to J - around 250EUR or 26k miles.
Was tempted first, but it went out quickly.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
I do not see the point upgrading from PE to J in such a relatively short trip, given the price and that there is not additional XP to gain.
newflyer27 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by KLBGO
I do not see the point upgrading from PE to J in such a relatively short trip, given the price and that there is not additional XP to gain.
If the price is correct, this is certainly nice to do. I did it recently on this route.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Is there a way to know in advance how much would an upgrade from Y to J cost on a particular route if I know the booking class of the ticket? I am looking at multiple options for a future TATL trip, and I'm inclined to fly KLM despite a higher price, if I can upgrade to J with miles. However, as KL is significantly more expensive than alternatives, so I'd switch to a competitor if I cannot (afford the) upgrade. I tried calling KLM but I was told they can tell me the cost of upgrade only once tickets are issued.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:24 pm

At JFK now boarding to CDG; booked in economy (not sure about the fare code but a cheap one). Didn't get an upgrade offer at OLCI, however I checked at the airport and I was quoted 1719 euros as well to upgrade to business. I saw the sheet with all the cash and points prices but she took ot away too fast for me to remember the amounts.

I was actually booked on a later flight on the A380, and they almost insisted I get on the earlier 777 flight since it was leaving 45 minutes later. Apparently one of the A380 broke down so it was hell to reacommodate everyone.

I did tell the lady at ticketing that those prices were completely insane and she said that they were but it's because there weren't many seats (if any) left at all.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

CDG-MUC : 279€ (from a light ticket).
This price seems to be the norm for me every time I am on such a ticket.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: Many
SIN-CDG
Y (N fare) to W
319 EUR

Not for me but no way.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:52 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Finally, after some time of getting ridiculous quotes from both miles and $$ point of view, managed to do a mileage upgrade for an upcoming flight from ORD-CDG in advance. I believe it is due it being a non ST hub and business is sitll open with ~5 seats and back in coach lots of open seats.
Upgraded from PE (full fare) to J for 22.5k miles. Slightly more than the old price, but did it this time since it was some time ago that I had such a reasonable quote. Too bad it is not the new J, but will survive that short trip.

Cheers!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
I'm booked to fly MEX-CGD in Y on September 5th. Would love to get an upgrade to J, but there is no availability with miles. Any idea how I can request a paid upgrade? The website does not give me the option. I've called the airline but they tell me the only way to upgrade is to pay the fare difference to change to business for the entire itinerary (approximately USD 20K -- ridiculous)
any tips?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by skyteamelite
I'm booked to fly MEX-CGD in Y on September 5th. Would love to get an upgrade to J, but there is no availability with miles. Any idea how I can request a paid upgrade? The website does not give me the option. I've called the airline but they tell me the only way to upgrade is to pay the fare difference to change to business for the entire itinerary (approximately USD 20K -- ridiculous)
any tips?
it’s not possible to upgrade in advance with cash. Changing the ticket to J means indeed to pay the fare difference. Upgrading in advance can be done only with miles.
The paid upgrades we discuss in this thread are proposed eventually at OLCI, if there are remaining seats in W or J. If not proposed to you, you can ask at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.