Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:50 pm

MMB stands for manage my booking

Sometimes you will see a banner offering to upgrade with miles. It often ends up in an error message but worth trying.

Flying Blue or the platinum line should be able to upgrade you with miles if O class opens up (you can tzll if you see seats online available for booking with the minimum amount of miles, e.g. 57,500 for CDG-NYC).

A few days before the flight you might see an offer to upgrade with miles or cash (the same offer you would get by e-mail).

You might get yet another offer at online check-in, at the check-in counter, after check-in on the seat map, in the lounge or even onboard.

All these offer may or may not occur depending on the flight load and other random and idiosyncratic factors.

So keep trying when you have an opportunity to do so, without driving yourself crazy!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, NW, CO, SW,
Originally Posted by af fp
So keep trying when you have an opportunity to do so, without driving yourself crazy!
Crazy... yeah, that's what has happened to it. Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Is there a way to find out how many miles an upgrade on KL would cost? In the old system there used to be a calculator based on the farebucket. After the new programme went into effect, I was able to ask KLM on Twitter about the cost however recently they refuse to give the amount when I don't provide them with a PNR (I have not ticket booked as I want to do the math between more miles or buying a higher fare).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Is there a way to find out how many miles an upgrade on KL would cost? In the old system there used to be a calculator based on the farebucket. After the new programme went into effect, I was able to ask KLM on Twitter about the cost however recently they refuse to give the amount when I don't provide them with a PNR (I have not ticket booked as I want to do the math between more miles or buying a higher fare).
the amount you will pay depends on many factors , but also on the category you booked your ticket if i remember correctly
glennhaak likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by fifty_two
the amount you will pay depends on many factors , but also on the category you booked your ticket if i remember correctly
That's correct, and many more factors as current load, prediction of whether they will sell-out, how many days out, route etc. etc.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum/Club 2000, UA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
ZRH-CDG, last flight of the day: 109EUR, 4 available.
No miles option.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:27 am

CDG > AMS > JFK for tomorrow, 2 people in coach, booked on Air France but all operated by KLM on a 737 and the 747:
CDG > AMS segment:
- 12 euros to economy comfort (no thanks)
- 89 euros to business (no thanks)

AMS > JFK segment:
- 70 euros to economy comfort or 14,000 miles (I took the paid option, it's for my parents and I thought it would be good for them to have a little more legroom).
- business sold out
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
CDG-DXB :
249 EUR for Y to W
499 EUR for Y to J
No offer from J to P as P is full

Last edited by Goldorak; Oct 29, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AFKL Platinum/Club 2000, UA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
CDG-DXB :
249 EUR for Y to W
499 EUR for W to J
Do you mean 499 for Y to J? A bit too expensive for a 7 hour flight.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingjapans
Do you mean 499 for Y to J? A bit too expensive for a 7 hour flight.
Oh yes, sorry for the typo. I have corrected my post.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
CDG RBA travelling in R.
Y to J : 479 €!!!! for less than 3 hours flight...
seems J is full while Y is empty because the same leg (i am deprting tomorrow) is now cheaper than what i bought it for and is now available in a lower fare class G.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:44 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

CDG-HND on AF272: 03 Nov

@ online check-in: PE to J: 519 Euro [saw 3 seats left] and this is on the old J

on the day of departure @ the lounge
- J was full, but I was told that I could check again later if indeed all pax showed. Did not bother as I already saw the asking price:
cash: 319 Euro (not too bad)
miles: 52000 FB miles
There was a mix of cash + miles options too.

I believe J cabin went out full and there was no no-shows. Not sure as I did not follow up.
PE cabin was initially open with 3 seats, but upon boarding the cabin was full with 1 dead heading Japanese FA (I suspect) or relative of the Japanese FA working on my flight. Y had a couple of seats open.

Cheers!

ps: on a side note, again a broken headphone at my seat. this is the 3rd time this year flying PE that the headphone was broken. No direct Plat greeting, though on the 1st round, the FA serving my aisle did greet me by name while asking for the drinks and at the end of the flight if everything was ok.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Is there any recent experience for upgrade offers from A to J on any of the following sectors: CDG to YYZ or DTW or ORD?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I haven't really made use of this so far, but sometimes see offers for upgrade from Y to J on CDG-ZRH vv for anything between 99 and 139 EUR. Never took it, as precisely I had picked a MINI fare to be on the low cost side of things for that flight, paying around 50 EUR or so. Adding 99 would triple the price of the entire ticket.

But now I am interested in it as I'd like to upgrade Madame who is traveling with me from J to P, as I have a P ticket and she has a J ticket. Can any customer get the upgrade? Or is it targeted? And: will upgrades be given as long as there are seats for sale (with obviously higher "fares" in miles when there are only few seats for sale left)? I seem to have read contradicting information on this. And just to confirm something I believe I know: I can use miles from my own account to upgrade her, right?

Thx.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I haven't really made use of this so far, but sometimes see offers for upgrade from Y to J on CDG-ZRH vv for anything between 99 and 139 EUR. Never took it, as precisely I had picked a MINI fare to be on the low cost side of things for that flight, paying around 50 EUR or so. Adding 99 would triple the price of the entire ticket.

But now I am interested in it as I'd like to upgrade Madame who is traveling with me from J to P, as I have a P ticket and she has a J ticket. Can any customer get the upgrade? Or is it targeted? And: will upgrades be given as long as there are seats for sale (with obviously higher "fares" in miles when there are only few seats for sale left)? I seem to have read contradicting information on this. And just to confirm something I believe I know: I can use miles from my own account to upgrade her, right?

Thx.
Only FB Platinum members are eligible for an upgrade from J to P on AF. Is she platinum? If so then she can upgrade with miles or cash or an combination of the two if there are seats available DoD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.