Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by danfl44
AMS-PTY: 72500 miles
BOG-CDG: 66000 miles

Both cheap Y -> J
Pretty solid, but won't take them.
Yes i agree these fares are 'solid' by FB standards.

But with Avios, you are able to fly from DOH to FRA in Q suites for only 37.500 miles (award rate, not upgrade).

Yes I know, the distance is shorter but still...
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

HND-CDG

Hi,

6 days out from my flight, called to check on upgrade possibility from my PE (A-class) to J, and was quoted 52k miles. Not too bad from the cheapest PE class to J, but did not take it yet since I see PE cabin is still quite open and seems the seat next to mine is still open. J seems to be wide open with still Z-class on sale.

Still a bit of a dilema here to take or not to take - just in case the cabin fills up in the coming days..

Cheers!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by BobTL
Yes i agree these fares are 'solid' by FB standards.

But with Avios, you are able to fly from DOH to FRA in Q suites for only 37.500 miles (award rate, not upgrade).

Yes I know, the distance is shorter but still...
Each program has strong and weak points, and over the past few months, there were some very good FB deals, which is why I don't feel those upgrade prices are worth my miles.
Yes, the QSuite redemption is good, and I was actually looking into one - unfortunately the distance between AMS-DOH is 62 miles to big, which makes it 60k
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:12 am

OLCI offers:

HKG-CDG Nov 25
Y to W - 559€ or 79,900 miles

CDG-TXL Nov 26
Y to J - 309€ or 59,000 miles (lol)

Last edited by macsan100; Nov 24, 2018 at 3:29 am
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by macsan100
OLCI offers:

HKG-CDG Nov 25
Y to W - 559€ or 79,900 miles

CDG-TXL Nov 26
Y to J - 309€ or 59,000 miles (lol)
Yes, algoritms sometimes give outcomes that make you laugh.....for good (very low price) or bad (very high price) reasons :-)
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:51 am

When the new “reinvented” Flying Blue program was introduced, one of the new features was that all
seats in all booking classes would be eligible for an upgrade. See below:

The confirmation that all seats would be eligible for an upgrade

The fact is that not all seats are available for an upgrade.
I have been writing FB about this and they confirmed in a mail that they had to withdraw this promise in early July because they were not able to use all booking classes for upgrades.

Then I also mentioned that the amount of miles to upgrade went significantly up, J seats can cost more than 200.000 miles which is more than La Premiere on comparable routes.
In order to collect 200.000 miles, onearn s to spend between € 25.000 and € 50.000 on flights. These amounts are for many frequent flyers astronomical, especially in Europe where points in general can not be earned with credit cards.
So my interest in collecting miles with FB dropped to zero. I will use my remaining miles on a La Premiere ticket and then I will focus on Oneworld. I’m Oneworld Sapphire already which allows me lounge access plus saving and using Avios is so much easier than Flying Blue miles.

I proposed to FB that there should be a scheme how much flights in J maximally should cost in the same fashion as regions are made to determine the amount of XP’s. The agents thought it was a very good idea and forwarded it to the department that is responsible for this.

Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:58 am

OLCI offer for JFK to ORY on Dec 25, 777 with BEST configuration:
Y to W : USD 261.88
Y to J : USD 570.57

No miles proposition as no FB number was entered. The rates are quite reasonable, but the premium load might be low as it's December 25th. Also, the person flying has never flown Air France, so would be eligible for the introductory upgrade offers I guess.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
EZE-AMS, €529 or 78k miles. 5 seats available when I checked in, all sold within a few hours
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue
BON-AMS $513 or 62100 miles.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
€249 (or 59.000 miles) for CDG-LHR or return
A rather more reasonable €89 yesterday for Y award ticket to J (but I still did not take it).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
and CDG MAD last week, 379 EUR to upgrade from Y to C. The flight was pretty empty, available in V or X class until departure, many empty rows in business, and I am pretty sure most passengers in Y could get C seating.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:52 am

just curious

Hi everyone. I just want to share my experience with you. We will fly on the 15th of Jan from VIE to LAX via CDG and back LAX - AMS - VIE on the 6th of Feb. We bought cheap economy tickets a few months ago. A few days ago I successfully bought a change of economy (L/V class) to business (Z) on way back from Los Angeles - LAX - AMS - VIE for cca 780€ per person which is pretty good price I think.
It wasn't able to do that on first segment (VIE - LAX) because first flight VIE - CDG is handled by Austrian Airlines, that's info I received from AF. But the thing is after this change my fiance got automatically upgrade to business from economy on segment CDG to LAX (AF0066), I see this change on air france website. I just want to ask if this is something common or not. We will fly with AF/KLM for first time. My ticket stays unchanged the same economy class from CDG to LAX so only her ticket has been upgraded. It's just weird situation (ofc I am happy for her change). Another question is when (even if) I can expect upgrade offer? Will I receive an email? Or should I refresh airfrance website? thank you
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by romans
Hi everyone. I just want to share my experience with you. We will fly on the 15th of Jan from VIE to LAX via CDG and back LAX - AMS - VIE on the 6th of Feb. We bought cheap economy tickets a few months ago. A few days ago I successfully bought a change of economy (L/V class) to business (Z) on way back from Los Angeles - LAX - AMS - VIE for cca 780€ per person which is pretty good price I think.
It wasn't able to do that on first segment (VIE - LAX) because first flight VIE - CDG is handled by Austrian Airlines, that's info I received from AF. But the thing is after this change my fiance got automatically upgrade to business from economy on segment CDG to LAX (AF0066), I see this change on air france website. I just want to ask if this is something common or not. We will fly with AF/KLM for first time. My ticket stays unchanged the same economy class from CDG to LAX so only her ticket has been upgraded. It's just weird situation (ofc I am happy for her change). Another question is when (even if) I can expect upgrade offer? Will I receive an email? Or should I refresh airfrance website? thank you
Welcome to FT! The upgrade on the outbound looks like a glitch to me and I would not say it is common.
Considering that you are a new customer and that as of today, there are still 37 open J-seats on your outbound flight, there is a good chance that you will receive an upgrade offer once OLCI opens. Just check it out right on time.
One concern however, considering that Austrian operates the first leg, I'm not sure OLCI will be available. In that case, you need to approach ground staff @ CDG and ask for a DoD offer.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:12 am

just an update. I saw that Air France have removed whole segment VIE - CDG - LAX from fiance's reservation, after that I asked them what's happened they replied "I have checked your booking XXXXX and first 2 flights were really missing. I have fixed this in your booking, so now you have there all flights as on your flight ticket." so now there is economy instead of business shame but don't think I can complain about that.

Originally Posted by romans
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: FB Gold
OLCI offer IAD to CDG Jan 11:
J to P: 1475 euro or 145000 miles; didn't take it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.