Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF flight from Rio missing [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by CDG1
I highly doubt that BNP Paribas flies their 2 highest executives on commercial liners.

It's private jets every time, IMHO.
Are there any "private jets" that have range to make it from GIG to CDG? Asking with full curiosity...not sarcasm.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by dolcevita
Terrible news. Keep hoping that against all odds they somehow made it.

Question for the knowledgeable: How is it possible that there is no signal from the aircraft? Is there anything besides the transponder that would be useful in identifying its position? Is the black box capable of transmitting its location?

As for the A330, wasn't this the type of aircraft that was involved in the AA accident in November 2001? Not that it has any relevance to this case, just curious since some people mentioned that this aircraft type has a perfect safety record.

My heart goes out to these poor people who were on board and their families.
No, the November 2001 crashed involved an A300.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by jtrue28
Are there any "private jets" that have range to make it from GIG to CDG? Asking with full curiosity...not sarcasm.
Yes.
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blank Sheet
Does anyone know how much composite material is used in the building of the A330's?
The fuselage barrel is largely aluminum, though there are multiple composite structures. Construction is fairly consistent with other commercial aircraft of the same generation, including the B-777 and MD-11.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zorro
Is it possible that the reboot/restart malfunctioned?

Any experts?
Highly unlikely. Although it is difficult (and somewhat imprudent) to speculate, it is possible that a combination of sequential events caused critical electrical systems to "fry."
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I highly doubt that BNP Paribas flies their 2 highest executives on commercial liners.

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Yes.
Details, please?

Regarding the overarching question of whether senior executives might fly commercial rather than private, I am not convinced that 'it is private jets every time.' Even if they generally fly private jets in Europe, and even perhaps to New York, Paribas may not own the plane that can fly GIG-CDG non-stop. Also, risk management might encourage them to split two senior executives up so that there would be less risk of losing two senior executives in one disaster. Would they fly two private planes or ask one executive to fly commercial?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

I really wouldn't put both of them together on the same plane. esp for intercontinental flights. dun even think i'd put them on the same plane for paris-london
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by chasbondy
Hopefully, NSA, Pentagon, NASA and Russian satellites have joined the operation by now??
I'm shocked that more from (at least our gov't) the gov't hasn't surfaced. Our satellites can track anything and everything. There (I will bet my house on this) is some sort of record in the DoD, NASA, NSA etc Databases on this flight; maybe we are tracking something related to this.. but I am speculating that our satellites know what happened
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm shocked that more from (at least our gov't) the gov't hasn't surfaced. Our satellites can track anything and everything. There (I will bet my house on this) is some sort of record in the DoD, NASA, NSA etc Databases on this flight; maybe we are tracking something related to this.. but I am speculating that our satellites know what happened
this.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by You want to go where?

Also, risk management might encourage them to split two senior executives up so that there would be less risk of losing two senior executives in one disaster.
Exactly.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
How easy is it to retrieve this data?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Details, please?

Regarding the overarching question of whether senior executives might fly commercial rather than private, I am not convinced that 'it is private jets every time.' Even if they generally fly private jets in Europe, and even perhaps to New York, Paribas may not own the plane that can fly GIG-CDG non-stop. Also, risk management might encourage them to split two senior executives up so that there would be less risk of losing two senior executives in one disaster. Would they fly two private planes or ask one executive to fly commercial?
I dont think they would put 2 execs on teh same plane(regardless to commercial/private) but details for private jets:
Gulfstream G550 range 6750nm. well within the limits (Great circle mapper: 4946nm, G550 had flown from Seoul to Orlando)
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
To echo some other comments, it's almost no chance this was exclusively a lightning strike problem. After the Pan Am flight there have been several design requirements to prevent thattype of problem. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I've been struck by lightning before in a plane. Loud, but uneventful.

Now; a lightning strike plus some other things going wrong, well.

I was flying over the Atlantic last night; always quite sobering to consider that another flight did not go as smoothly as yours.

Thoughts and prayers for the families and friends of those on board. May the ensuing investigation find the evidence needed to satisfy their curiosity about what happened.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:41 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Just wondering, if other planes (e.g. EU bound) were in the same area as well.
Looking at schedules, there were other GIG-Europe flights at around the same time. Those pilots will no doubt have some insight into what conditions were like.

I would point out that any speculation at this time as to cause is just that -- speculation. Most major accidents are the product of a cascade of events that culminate in an accident. While flying in CB (thunderstorms) can break up an aircraft in flight, it is altogether possible that the true cause was something else altogether and that the presence of weather had little to do with what happened. There's way too much missing information to make an informed guess at what happened and a real chance that the true cause will never be known, as any reasonable conclusion would depend on recovering the CVR/FDR and getting data from them. The apparent presence of electrical problems may mean that those devices could lack key data. Moreover, recovery is always complicated when the accident is over open ocean.

My sympathy is with the friends and family of the passengers and crew. The lack of information here must be agonizing for them.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Very sad. My condolences to all involved.

Is this the first fatal crash for the A330?
No there was a fatal test accident in 93 iirc.

AP is reporting a loss of cabin pressure measure automatically sent from the plane.

If you look at the photos of the US regional jet that was hit by lightning, it is possible for lightning to blow a hole in the skin of the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.