Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF flight from Rio missing [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by KRSW
My fear is that the computers which control the flaps/control surfaces were affected, thus the plane would be uncontrollable regardless of if the engines were still running or not.

Usually aircraft have redundancy of just about everything. There's usually a chain of mistakes that happen to bring a modern aircraft down. Most failures are little more than a PIlot REPort upon landing.
The two links in my post above have detailed info in both the Fly By Wire system and the protection put inplace on the a330 to protect the systems from the strike(s)
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
A very sad story. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by alanw
I'm glad you're OK!
Thanks, Alan. Just flew that route two weeks ago today, but on AF 443 as it was one of the days of the week that there is just one flight ... I prefer the AF 447 as it leaves at 19:00 rather than 16:20, and that's the one I'm usually on (as in this August, for example ...). It's a popular route for the PNC, you often see familiar faces among the personnel when you fly.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
sad news. my thoughts and prayers are with the families of all involved.

as a side note, i didn't realize that a lightning strike could bring down an aircraft. was i missing something? (i figured it would throw a wrench in the works, but not bring it down. i'm a bit of a pollyanna, i'm afraid.)
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: QFM Life
Originally Posted by karenkay

as a side note, i didn't realize that a lightning strike could bring down an aircraft. was i missing something? (i figured it would throw a wrench in the works, but not bring it down. i'm a bit of a pollyanna, i'm afraid.)
Things are still not known, but I'd say it might be a contributing factor at this stage. There were (are) storms in the area, so it's the theory for now I suppose.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC

There is a lot of speculation here and with with news agencies contributing opionions more than facts. AF has stated it could have been struck by lightning but did not say that caused the failure. Perhaps if it did get hit by lightning it contributed, but at this point we just don't know. Hopefully in time we will learn facts once the A/C is located.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
as a side note, i didn't realize that a lightning strike could bring down an aircraft.
Who knows, really, what happened to this plane at this point. Normally a lightning strike should not bring down an airplane. Do a search on FT and you'll read countless stories of folks being on planes that get hit by lightning and continue on to their destination.

Keep in mind that in these instances there is usually a "perfect storm" (pun not intended) of things going wrong, not just one thing.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Indeed this is a very very tragic story ... my thoughts are with the families and friends of the victims as well. They must be traumatized by this incident.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but is it possible that the plane exploded in mid-air, like the TWA accident back in 1996 with the 741, or a bomb detonation (though they have ruled out terrorism).
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by ab2013
I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but is it possible that the plane exploded in mid-air, like the TWA accident back in 1996 with the 741, or a bomb detonation (though they have ruled out terrorism).
Unlikely given that they mentioned electrical problems. But who knows, really.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:31 am

Location: Previously Leeds, England - now Chicago USA (KLM/AF - Lifetime Platinum)
This is very sad and very shocking news today. My thoughts and sympathies are with all of those who were on board, and with their families and friends.

KG
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
very sad indeed. the plane had 216 passengers on board out of a possible 219. Air France have had three major accidents in the 21 century now. the other two being the AF358 at YYZ, and the Concorde AF4590 at CDG.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Who knows, really, what happened to this plane at this point. Normally a lightning strike should not bring down an airplane. Do a search on FT and you'll read countless stories of folks being on planes that get hit by lightning and continue on to their destination.

Keep in mind that in these instances there is usually a "perfect storm" (pun not intended) of things going wrong, not just one thing.
Agreed. There are so many back-ups on modern aircraft that you have to have a chain of failures. I can only hope and pray that a couple of things actually went right and the pilots were able to maintain some control when ditching. But this certainly doesn't look good.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Eight children, including an infant, were among the 228 passengers who were on board the Air France Airbus A330 which disappeared Monday between Brazil and France, Air France said in a statement.

"Among the 216 passengers, there were 126 men, 82 women, 7 children and a baby, "said Air France

source: Le Point
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Five Italians might have been on board of the Air France plane that disappeared with 228 people on a route between Rio de Janeiro and Paris, said Monday the Italian agency Ansa, quoting airport sources.

This information has not been confirmed by official sources.

source: Le Figaro
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Very sad. My condolences to all involved.

Is this the first fatal crash for the A330?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.