Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF flight from Rio missing [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:54 am

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by bwhite
The sea is a miserable place to look for anything at night, night vision or not, particularly if you do not have a narrow serach area to start in.
yes, but those that remember flight 800 and the result can tell you that the large debris and fire from the jet fuel ignited on the water would have been an easy site long as there was not low cloud cover from a plane. Night Vision would pick up any light source such as beacons or fire much easier at night and IR could bounce off debris like metal skin of the plane but sea swells would make that difficult and the water being highly reflective even with the advanced military imaging systems would be difficult
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:55 am

...french publications are now talking about a report of electrical failure.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:55 am

Programs: QFM Life
Originally Posted by vla
BBC News is reporting the plane sent a message informing of an electrical short circuit following extreme turbulence en route.
I heard that AF wasn't able to confirm that or not.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:56 am

anyone know what the radar coverage is like in the suspected area where the plane was last reported. I know I read reports that it also was not on military radar when they lost signal.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by BBC News
French minister Jean-Louis Borloo said the plane had probably had an accident and ruled out hijacking.
Linkage
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by vsop
Have they not heard of Night Vision/IR in Brazil???
The sea is vast... I've used night vision goggles in the Army, and it's anything but simple to view a large field, nevermind the expansive ocean at night, even with night vision enabled.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
NY Times

Contradicting what has been reported in the French press, the NY Times is reporting that the plane disappeared at 2:10 AM Paris time and that contact was lost at a point 186 miles northeast of the coastal Brazilian city of Natal and near the island of Fernando de Noronha.

Further, French aviation authorities have stated that there is "no hope" for the aircraft as its fuel reserves would have run out by now.

Our prayers and thoughts are with all the passengers, crews, their families and friends.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:59 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
This is terrbile news
Just came off the plane JNB-FRA-ZRH today which makes me feel a bit strange now that I've seen this terrible news.

Does anybody know if there was a Flyertalker on board?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:00 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
My thoughts and prayers to the families...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:00 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Official announcement on AF internet site:

Paris, 01 juin 2009 - 13h14 heure locale

Premier communiqué
Air France a le regret d’annoncer être sans nouvelle du vol AF 447 effectuant la liaison Rio de Janeiro – Paris-Charles de Gaulle, arrivée prévue ce matin à 11h15 locales.

Le vol a quitté Rio le 31 mai à 19 heures locales.

216 passagers sont à bords.

L’équipage est composé de 12 navigants : 3 navigants techniques et 9 navigants commerciaux.

Un numéro vert est ouvert au 0800 800 812 pour la France,

et + 33 1 57 02 10 55 pour l’étranger.

Air France partage l’émotion et l’inquiétude des familles concernées. Les proches sont reçus dans un endroit spécialement réservé à l’aérogare de Paris-Charles de Gaulle 2.
AirFrance has also an english version:

Paris, 01 June 2009 - 13:31 local time
First press release

Air France regrets to announce that it has lost contact with flight AF 447 from Rio de Janeiro to Paris-Charles de Gaulle, expected to arrive this morning at 11:15 local time.

The flight left Rio on 31 May at 7pm local time.

216 passengers are on board.

There are 12 crew members on board: 3 pilots and 9 cabin crew.

The following toll-free number is available in France: 0800 800 812,

and + 33 1 57 02 10 55 outside France.

Air France fully shares the anxiety and distress of the families of the passengers concerned. The families are been taken care of in a specially reserved area at Paris-Charles de Gaulle 2 airport.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:09 am

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...razilian_Coast

It appears that now the airline is also saying that they sent the message about short
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:11 am

AF source apparently says plane was "probably struck by lightning", according to AFP and Sky news.

Sky also mentioned there'd be a press conference / media briefing at 14:15 CET.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
My thoughts are now with the families and friends of those missing.

CNN just had an FAA investigator on and he explained that since there were no word/no may day call/pan pan call that whatever happened it did so very fast.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by mka5
AF source apparently says plane was "probably struck by lightning", according to AFP and Sky news.

Sky also mentioned there'd be a press conference / media briefing at 14:15 CET.
That should not bring down a modern aircraft, and if it is the case then that is very very
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by rorschi
Scary.

On my way down to EZE one week ago with LH, we were flying smoothly north east of the Brasilian coast, when the seat belt sign went on. I opened the sunshade and saw that we were surrounded by giant CB´s. The pilot made a 180-degree-turn and we had to fly at least 5 minutes northbound for finding a safe way for crossing this area...

This headlines were really the shock of the morning...
I flew to and from GIG last weekend and turbulence was very heavy over brazil on both sectors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.