Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike announcement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
I'm trying to help a (non travel-savvy, FB Ivory) friend who was booked on the (cancelled) flight AF732 tomorrow Friday Nov. 14th. AF's IT system (either web-based or phone-based) is saturated and I cannot access it. Since Sunday's flight is also cancelled, Tuesday's AF732 is the next available flight, but I see on Amadeus (using checkmytrip) that he has been rebooked on Nov. 20th (presumably Tuesday's flight is oversold). What kind of compensation, if any, can he expect (I don't think he can demand anything as a strike case is not covered by the European regulation, or is it?) for such a long wait (6 days!).

Last edited by albireo; Nov 13, 2008 at 10:58 am Reason: Updated with the new situation
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: CO Plat
Hey - Any opinions on whether this strike might stretch out longer than a few days?

And is there a chance that another strike could pop up around Thanksgiving weekend?

Thx
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: SQ * UA * QF * AF
I have tried to compile a list for all cancelled long haul flights tomorrow; I will endeavour to update it as much as possible

14NOV - FROM PARIS (CDG/ORY)

08:25 CDG JFK AF 22
08:50 CDG BEY AF 566
10:15 CDG YYZ AF 352
10:15 CDG IAD AF 28
10:15 CDG GRU AF 456
10:15 CDG GIG AF 444
10:30 CDG NRT AF 272
10:30 CDG BOM AF 134
10:30 CDG JNB AF 994
10:30 CDG DLA AF 946
10:45 CDG LBV AF 976
11:00 CDG LOS AF 854
11:05 CDG NIM OUA AF 732
13:15 CDG BOS AF 332
13:15 CDG YUL AF 344
13:15 CDG ICN AF 264
13:15 CDG DXB AF 526
13:25 CDG ABJ AF 702
13:30 CDG PHL AF 366
13:30 CDG KIX AF 292
13:35 CDG ATL AF 388
13:35 CDG MEX AF 438
13:35 CDG COO AF 814
15:55 CDG PEK AF 128
15:55 CDG PVG AF 112
15:55 CDG CKY AF 762
16:30 CDG JFK AF 10
16:40 CDG BKO AF 796
23:15 CDG CAN AF 106
23:25 CDG NRT AF 278

10:45 ORY CAY AF 608
15:00 ORY PTP AF 624
21:00 ORY RUN AF 680

14 NOV - TO PARIS (ARRIVING PARIS ON 15NOV, except BEY)

ABJ CDG AF 703
ATL CDG AF 385
BEY CDG AF 565
BKO CDG AF 791
BOS CDG AF 337
CAY ORY AF 607
CKY CDG AF 767
COO CDG AF 813
DLA CDG AF 943
GIG CDG AF 447
GRU CDG AF 459
IAD CDG AF 39
JFK CDG AF 23
JFK CDG AF 11
LBV CDG AF 977
LOS CDG AF 855
MEX CDG AF 439
OUA NIM CDG AF 731
PHL CDG AF 365
PTP ORY AF 625
YUL CDG AF 345
YYZ CDG AF 353

15 NOV - TO PARIS

BOM CDG AF 135
CAN CDG AF 105
DXB CDG AF 525
ICN CDG AF 267
JNB CDG AF 997
KIX CDG AF 291
NRT CDG AF 271
NRT CDG AF 277
PEK CDG AF129
PVG CDG AF 117
RUN ORY AF 679
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, TK Miles&Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Harry IAH
Hey - Any opinions on whether this strike might stretch out longer than a few days?

And is there a chance that another strike could pop up around Thanksgiving weekend?

Thx
I don't think they will extend it... so the rest of the week should be fine. As for the question if there might be another strike, and if so, when - I guess at the current time that's anyone's guess.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Service offered by AF during the strike action (source: Les Echos)

In case of cancellation of their flight or in case of delay longer than 5 hours, passengers can have their ticket refunded or get a voucher, without penalties. Even if their flight is maintained, passengers who do not want to travel because of the disturbances can get a voucher

In case of rerouting by ground transport, passengers have the possibility to rent rent a car for free (category A only) or buy a rail ticket in the same class of transport of the AF ticket. "The refund will be made exclusively with the invoices and a memo travel", clarifies Air France.

If needed, Air France takes care of the accommodation of the passengers in transit, or at the time of their return flight (for 48 hours maximum). The local customers can be accommodated if the cancellation of the flight arises after 10:00 pm.

http://www.lesechos.fr/info/transpor...?xtor=EPR-1000
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by albireo
I'm trying to help a (non travel-savvy, FB Ivory) friend who was booked on the (cancelled) flight AF732 tomorrow Friday Nov. 14th. AF's IT system (either web-based or phone-based) is saturated and I cannot access it. Since Sunday's flight is also cancelled, Tuesday's AF732 is the next available flight, but I see on Amadeus (using checkmytrip) that he has been rebooked on Nov. 20th (presumably Tuesday's flight is oversold). What kind of compensation, if any, can he expect (I don't think he can demand anything as a strike case is not covered by the European regulation, or is it?) for such a long wait (6 days!).
Is there another carrier flying the route your friend wants to fly, and if so, are there seats available? If both is the case, I would try to get AF rebook your friend to that other carrier....
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Originally Posted by haggis79
Is there another carrier flying the route your friend wants to fly, and if so, are there seats available? If both is the case, I would try to get AF rebook your friend to that other carrier....
Not really. The only earliest available connection is Wednesday, with 3 flights, through Casablanca and Yaounde. It's not worth it just to gain 18 hours after a 6-day hold.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:50 pm

Restoration of normal schedule following strike?

Hello,

What should one expect following the conclusion of the strike? I'm flying LAX ->CDG, then CDG-> BUD scheduled to depart LAX on 11/18 at 10:00 PM. Is it reasonable to assume that flight operations should be restored as scheduled the day after the strike? I'm wondering if I should try to avoid any possible issues and rebook with NWA/Delta or Continental...

As always, thanks to you all for your assistance.

Cheers!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HRHCyndy
Hello,

What should one expect following the conclusion of the strike? I'm flying LAX ->CDG, then CDG-> BUD scheduled to depart LAX on 11/18 at 10:00 PM. Is it reasonable to assume that flight operations should be restored as scheduled the day after the strike? I'm wondering if I should try to avoid any possible issues and rebook with NWA/Delta or Continental...

Cheers!
Well, there is a risk. Less than if the incoming flight was overnight but, still, there is a risk as planes may not be where they are supposed to be and this could generate disruption for the 18th.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: US,HH
French airline pilots’ unions have called a four-day strike from Friday, November 14 to Monday,
November 17. As a result, Air France expects to experience severe disruptions to its operations.

We apologize in advance for this disruption of services and we will do our utmost to minimize the inconvenience to our mutual customers.

The schedule during the strike period is difficult to forecast as it will have to be adjusted each day. As things stand, the approximate estimation for Friday November 14 is the cancellation of half Air France’s long-haul flights from Paris and the same for medium-haul flights. More cancellations to long-haul flights are expected as the strike progresses.

We recommend that your customers with connections in Charles de Gaulle or who need a visa for France, as well as those customers with flexible travel plans, postpone their trip. For customers who intend to continue with their travel plans, www.airfrance.biz/us will keep you up-to-date with the latest operational changes. Customers can check directly for these changes as well on www.airfrance.com/us.

The Air France trade site will also offer you instructions for handling changes to ticketed bookings. We have published below a summary for your convenience:

These actions may be taken when an Air France flight is cancelled during this period for tickets that have been issued in the USA for travel commencing in the USA:

1. Irrespective of the fare paid, the passenger may be booked and ticketed on another Air France flight in the lowest class available in the same cabin of their ticket.

2. Bookings can be postponed until March 28, 2009 except in the following periods: for long-haul flights: December 20, 2008 to January 4, 2009 and February 14 to March 1, 2009.

3. Irrespective of the fare paid, the passenger may be booked and ticketed to another destination. In this case the value of the unused flight coupons may be applied towards the cost of the new ticket without penalty.

4. Irrespective of the fare paid, the passenger may be booked and ticketed on another airline. In this case the unused Air France ticket will be fully refunded by the Air France Customer Care department.

5. Irrespective of the fare paid, the passenger may use the services of the French Railways (SNCF) in metropolitan France and Europe. In this case, any fare difference between the Air France and SNCF tickets will be refunded.

6. Rerouting via ground transportation: car rental can be reimbursed for category A and/or rail ticket in the travel class corresponding to the air ticket. Reimbursement will be process by the Air France Customer Care department with the inclusion of invoices and itinerary receipt.

7. Irrespective of the fare paid, if the passengers cannot be rerouted to their destination or to an alternative destination, the ticket will be fully refunded by the Air France Customer Care department.

If the passenger is rebooked on the following SkyTeam carriers, the client may go directly to the partner check-in counter:

KL, DL, NW, CO, SU, AM, OK, AZ, KE, CZ

In all cases, enter a remark element in the reservation file. For electronic tickets and paper tickets, annotate the cause and date of the irregularity.

Since instructions may be modified as circumstances change, please consult your GDS information pages for Air France.

We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Bruno Georgelin
Vice President Sales, USA
Air France
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by HRHCyndy
Hello,

Cheers!
My flight from LAX/CDG/VCE was scheduled to depart @ 6:30PM on 11/17. AF re-booked me on KL via AMS for same dates. It did take a very long time to speak with an AF CSR, but she was very pleasant and cooperative. Suggest calling AF to rebook.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
My flight from LAX/CDG/VCE was scheduled to depart @ 6:30PM on 11/17. AF re-booked me on KL via AMS for same dates. It did take a very long time to speak with an AF CSR, but she was very pleasant and cooperative. Suggest calling AF to rebook.
Another positive data point: I spent 1.25 hours on hold, but I was able to change a JFK-CDG-CAI flight with 11/15 departure to JFK-AMS-CAI on KLM, with arrival 9 hours later than the AF flight.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Thank you for your very courteous reply . I, too, have little sympathy for the strikers. But I believe this is an issue where discussing with the pilots and the flight attendants before voting on the legislation would have been the better approach. And yes, delaying the vote on this issue, which is not particularly time critical, has benefits that certainly outweighs, IMHO, the inconvenience of a delay in passing the legislation. Again, in my personal opinion, now is not the time for anyone (including the strikers) to inflict a EUR 100 million (at least) impact on an industry sector, especially one that is hardly hit by the economic downturn and the turbulences on the oil market. But then, that's just me and my unconventional thinking .
Jouy31, I agree with you that this is a bad moment to strike and hurt AF/ADP/the economy - but you're arguing as if it was the lawmakers' fault. Just to be clear: it is purely and only the pilots' fault. The lawmakers are putting something in law, just like everywhere else in the world. They do not legislate to hurt the economy or to hurt AF. It's the pilots that decide to protect their special privileges/laziness and go on strike. So it's not the lawmakers that hurt the economy, but the pilots. And what for? Unwillingness to work.

On a different note: just tried to web-CKI for my return flight to CDG, which doesn't work. The flight does not show cancelled, but I can't OLCI.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:14 pm

What are the chances there could be another strike from the 26th November- 2nd December?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by justchris82
What are the chances there could be another strike from the 26th November- 2nd December?
same question has been asked just a few posts back... at that point, I think it's anyone's guess if there's gonna be another strike, and if so, when....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.