Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage broken into

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Baggage broken into

My partner, who is a more regularly AF flyer than myself, flew MAN to MUC via CDG on Monday and, upon arrival at MUC, found that both her and her colleague's bags had been broken into. On notifying the AF ground personnel, they were told there was nothing that could be done at the time (it was about 22.30) and were given a number to call the next day. They did that but were simply told to write to AF. She's back today and is FB Silver - any suggestions what she should do - or expect from AF/FB?
Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:37 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
This happened to me once and I was asked to file a police report.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Happend to my friend too in Prague. The agent asked him what the make and value was, to which my intoxicated mates reply was Gucci-Prada (was probably from TKMaxx)

Within a minute he was given a 100Euro voucher (which he lost before getting into the Taxi to the hotel) Serves him right i guess for making up a name such as Gucci-Prada

Morale of the story is that he got his voucher straightaway. I would have atleast asked for proof from the agent to confirm that the luggage was damaged when received
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:23 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tranmerechris
any suggestions what she should do - or expect from AF/FB?
She should file a claim in writing ASAP, but in any case not later than 7 days of the date of arrival. She should then be reimbursed for the cost of the stolen/damaged items up to a maximum of 1000 SDR (~1100 EUR) per PAX.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lallyr
Happend to my friend too in Prague. The agent asked him what the make and value was, to which my intoxicated mates reply was Gucci-Prada (was probably from TKMaxx)

Within a minute he was given a 100Euro voucher (which he lost before getting into the Taxi to the hotel) Serves him right i guess for making up a name such as Gucci-Prada

Morale of the story is that he got his voucher straightaway. I would have atleast asked for proof from the agent to confirm that the luggage was damaged when received
A few years ago I had my luggage broken into at Schiphol. I knew this because when I got to my destination I had suddenly acquired a bottle of sun cream in my suitcase (I was only flying LBA-AMS-MST so had no need for it!) Also because I was flying within the EU, customs couldn't have opened it without me being present. It appeared it had been rifled through at Schiphol, along with somebody's else's suitcase, and I had 'collected' their bottle of sun cream.

Obviously I complained to KLM, and to cut a long story short I received a phone call from a senior customer service agent who apologised and asked an open question as to what he could do to make me happy. I was a certain number of miles short of being able to fly around the world in business (Can't remember how many exactly, and it was under the old Flying Dutchman scheme), but I asked for them and he said "OK". I was pretty happy with that. I don't think it was a massive amount of miles, but it was enough to make me happy.

Can't see you getting that service now though.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The follow up....

Air France have replied offering their "apologies for the inconvenience"....

Er, that's it..

So, I guess that having your bags broken into is just a hazard of travelling.

She works for the largest European aircraft manufacturer (world's biggest I think now) and, as you can imagine, flys at lot. So, she'll just be directing all her business to another airline - and advising her colleagues to as well - and telling all and sundry about the tawdry service she received from Air France.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:21 pm

Programs: FB Plat, SPG Plat, Meridien Moments Gold
and telling all and sundry about the tawdry service she received from Air France.
Thanks for letting us know how it went. I think that KL/AF is not the only airline who would only sent out an apology to the customer, especially considering the fact that nothing was done at the airport (somehow it seems that they didn't acknowledge this to be their fault, even though it is).

With many airlines, if a problem can't be dealt with at the airport/gate/plane (no matter whose fault it is), then sending a letter often helps but certainly won't always provide you with a decent compensation. This is where bureaucracy really sets in...
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:31 am

Programs: AC Elite; FB Gold; ST Elite; Intercontinental Amb.; Avis PS; HG; HHG
My company has recently cut a deal with Air France and has had me flying with them exclusively this year. For mine and my colleagues info and security, could the OP tell me if it was a hard sided or soft sided bag that was broken in to and whether it had a lock? Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Both bags that were broken into were soft-sided. However, they both had locks (although relatively cheap lock and key versions). The locks had simply been broken and the bags opened. I think the key (excuse the pun) is 1) to use a better lock, 2) don't put anything of any great value in hold baggage and 3) shout like hell at the airport at the time it happens.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) to use a better lock
Not if flying from the US (TSA requirement).
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I have seen combination locks that come with a 'TSA approved' logo. These can, apparently, be opened by TSA staff with a manufacturer supplied code. But, yes, you're right - a regular lock will fall foul of US security.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:59 am

Programs: AC Elite; FB Gold; ST Elite; Intercontinental Amb.; Avis PS; HG; HHG
Tranmerechris, thanks very much for the quick reply.

Nick B : We have TSA approved locks that can be used (I bought mine at Brookstone) we use out of the US. The have a master key or combo that they can use to get the lock open but then relock it afterwards so the bag is secure for the rest of the trip. Of course, one has to trust that nothing has gone missing on the TSA side...
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:29 am

Programs: Miles & More · EuroBonus · Flying Blue · Finnair Plus
I didn't understand if anything was stolen or if the locks were just broken.
If the locks were broken it seems obvious that the airline shall pay for that just as they would do if the bag had been damaged in some way.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:17 am

My partner, who is a more regularly AF flyer than myself, flew MAN to MUC via CDG on Monday and, upon arrival at MUC, found that both her and her colleague's bags had been broken into. On notifying the AF ground personnel, they were told there was nothing that could be done at the time (it was about 22.30) and were given a number to call the next day. They did that but were simply told to write to AF. She's back today and is FB Silver - any suggestions what she should do - or expect from AF/FB?
Not really AF's fault.

Both CDG and ORY are notorious for their rings of smugglers among baggage handling staff - the most recent arrests were a month ago. I have had 2 bad experiences in the past year. A police report doesn't do much good. If you have valuable items, do NOT pack them in your luggage. Check with your personal insurer / credit card to see if you have coverage.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hegira
Not really AF's fault.

Both CDG and ORY are notorious for their rings of smugglers among baggage handling staff - the most recent arrests were a month ago. I have had 2 bad experiences in the past year. A police report doesn't do much good. If you have valuable items, do NOT pack them in your luggage. Check with your personal insurer / credit card to see if you have coverage.

I agree, not the fault of AF/KL; if you have e.g. an AMEX Plat card, they will cover it. This is actually also useful for the notorious baggage delay/losses in AMS; if KL refuses to pay (I remember it once being 23 h late (at the airport!), but 1.5 days late at my address and they refused since it was less than 24 h ). It would be a nice thing if KL/AF would add an optional insurance to their elite cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.