Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The AF long-haul business class catering photo thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
For how cooked the beef is, i want to make clear that it's not part of the AF protocol to ask. They may do it for me because of FB status. But you have no risk to ask.
To add my own experience, I routinely ask on all airlines if I ever order steaks/beef fillet and except on a couple of Middle Eastern airlines on which I was refused due to health worries ;but they overcook meat less anyway) I’ve never had refusal in principle. How well it’s done in practice is a bit less consistent but there is usually some effort. On the ba forum, someone posted very specific instructions about length which he gives crews and the results look great but I’ll admit I do t feel comfortable doing that myself as I don’t want crew to feel micro managed. My best steak experiences have usually been on KE and JL where cooking instruction is often invited (“how would you like it?”) and delivery usually impressive.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
To add my own experience, I routinely ask on all airlines if I ever order steaks/beef fillet and except on a couple of Middle Eastern airlines on which I was refused due to health worries ;but they overcook meat less anyway) I’ve never had refusal in principle. How well it’s done in practice is a bit less consistent but there is usually some effort. On the ba forum, someone posted very specific instructions about length which he gives crews and the results look great but I’ll admit I do t feel comfortable doing that myself as I don’t want crew to feel micro managed. My best steak experiences have usually been on KE and JL where cooking instruction is often invited (“how would you like it?”) and delivery usually impressive.
I do confirm for KE. Very impressed by the result.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:59 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

I too need some help deciding what to preselect! My options are:

Shredded veal shank, tomato broth, gratinated cheese pasta
Chicken fillet, multi grain couscous, lemon zucchini
Cod, artichoke and Noilly Prat sauce
Oven roasted carrot, acidic mash and grains
OK, no suggestion from here so I took the plunge! I could find old photos of Cod with Noilly Prat and artichokes from 2019! I don't know if it is still the same dish or a new one with the same ingredients but it didn't look good so thought I'd pass and give a go at the shredded veal shank. Wish me luck! I'll try and remember to take a photo for the thread!

Starters are tourteau acidule and the green vegetables salad with pickled radish, dessert is a chocolate and hazelnut something. Cheese is the ubiquitous cantal-crottin de Chavignol and Fourme d'Ambert...

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 29, 2024 at 3:17 am
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:22 am

AF 1 jfk-cdg

Beef Cheeks. Never again.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Beef Cheeks. Never again.
to be honest on the face of it, it’s mostly the starters which look like they belong to the 1 April menu!!
SkyteamEP likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
to be honest on the face of it, it’s mostly the starters which look like they belong to the 1 April menu!!
agreed. The main course looks good but the starter is ridiculous.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:02 am

OK, no suggestion from here so I took the plunge! I could find old photos of Cod with Noilly Prat and artichokes from 2019! I don't know if it is still the same dish or a new one with the same ingredients but it didn't look good so thought I'd pass and give a go at the shredded veal shank. Wish me luck! I'll try and remember to take a photo for the thread!

Starters are tourteau acidule and the green vegetables salad with pickled radish, dessert is a chocolate and hazelnut something. Cheese is the ubiquitous comte-crottin de Chavignol and Fourme d'Ambert...
hey there
i have the same choices for an upcoming CDG SFO flight…going for the cod probably as I’m afraid the chicken will be dry, I don’t play identity politics with my food choices (vegetarian) and the veal looks quite good but it’s more of a glorified cannelloni/lasagna type of dish which might be a bit heavy (looking at the pictures on the app next to each dish)
please report how the veal was!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
hey there
i have the same choices for an upcoming CDG SFO flight…going for the cod probably as I’m afraid the chicken will be dry, I don’t play identity politics with my food choices (vegetarian) and the veal looks quite good but it’s more of a glorified cannelloni/lasagna type of dish which might be a bit heavy (looking at the pictures on the app next to each dish)
please report how the veal was!
Oh I didn't check the pictures - will have a look in case it changes my mind! I'll either stick to the veal or revert to the cod, so either way hopefully my feedback will be useful!

Apart from the chicken potentially being dry (and more generally uninspiring I think!) I'd say that there is a 90% chance that one of the options for the light meal on both your and my flight will be a chicken dish so don't fancy that twice!!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:03 pm

PS: Had a look at the app picture and whilst of course, the real dishes will bear no resemblance to those, I agree with you that this just looks like cannelloni really and is not that inspiring, so I've switched to the cod too. I'll update this thread so you know if that's a big mistake!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:14 pm

PS: Had a look at the app picture and whilst of course, the real dishes will bear no resemblance to those, I agree with you that this just looks like cannelloni really and is not that inspiring, so I've switched to the cod too. I'll update this thread so you know if that's a big mistake!
obvious the photos are highly stylized and probably don’t represent the reality too accurately but at least it’s a good indication as to what you can expect, like in the case of the veal which you would not picture as cannelloni just reading the description. Let me know for the cod, it would be a big help!
have a great flight (when is yours? Mine is in 2 weeks)
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:59 pm

Programs: FB Plat
PVG-CDG AF111

(Appetizer: Salmon roulade with wasabi sauce - no photo)

Starter : roasted beef with mustard and pickles, coconut shrimp and mango salsa

Dish : Chicken supreme with thyme, potato gratin, mushrooms, snow peas and baby carrots

Dessert: Bourdaloue pear and almond tart

Breakfast: Mushroom omelet, roast cherry tomatoes, spinach and sautéed potatoes

chrisny2, orbitmic and Goldorak like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Porcepic
PVG-CDG AF111

(Appetizer: Salmon roulade with wasabi sauce - no photo)
Did the appetizer even exist? I've just started using AF after a long gap and thought I'd missed something a few weeks ago on my first outbound. My return yesterday was the same and there was no "Cashew nut and garlic cream, yellow beet and sesame" appetizer to be seen, despite being listed on the menu. Do they just not serve what they list?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:11 am

Programs: FB Plat
It depends on the route, but if listed on the menu, it should exist.
At least, on this flight, it did! Although the wasabi sauce was barely noticeable.

Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Did the appetizer even exist? I've just started using AF after a long gap and thought I'd missed something a few weeks ago on my first outbound. My return yesterday was the same and there was no "Cashew nut and garlic cream, yellow beet and sesame" appetizer to be seen, despite being listed on the menu.
What did the crew say when you asked about it? I must admit I have never had it missing except perhaps on late night departures, Otherwise, it's always served with the aperitif (rather than with the meal) - it's small but a nice touch.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:21 am

What did the crew say when you asked about it?
I didn't even notice until way later when I checked my photographs and it clicked I'd experienced the same on the previous flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.