Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID Restrictions to entry in France

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:35 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
then at least they should make them clear and not rely on some journalists that don't apply the necessary diligence
So true. Besides, IIRC the President stated in his address that "Every citizen coming back to France will have to be tested", which it turns out is not the case.

This kind of formal announcements when rules are not carved in stone yet add up to the confusion.

Last edited by maalloc; Oct 31, 2020 at 5:32 am
Old Oct 31, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Originally Posted by Chuvash
I am flying back to the US this weekend and will report back on the experience at CDG.
I can now report that it was very easy to leave CDG today (exited on French passport). I had made myself an “international business executive” attestation but I didn’t even have to show it anyone.

the border patrol officer told me all flights are cancelled after Monday (but I don’t think he knows what he’s talking about)

I asked the AF lounge staff RE next few weeks. They said they expect frequencies to decrease but destinations to stay similar to what they have today.

side note for anyone interested: Apparently the UK will be enforcing some sort of exit ban on non-work related trips. Still TBC
IstKong likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
There is some "tolérance" for those travelling before Monday due to then end of public holidays.

It will be more interesting to see what kind of exit control you get at the border from Monday. And also, if you are controlled until you reach the border.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
I'm really confused, by these restrictions. Some sites say we can leave the country as long as it's in Europe, some say we can't. Are we really banned from leaving the country? Other than for work reasons is there any way for us to leave?

3 days was really too short notice to make longer term plans...
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Digicola
I'm really confused, by these restrictions. Some sites say we can leave the country as long as it's in Europe, some say we can't. Are we really banned from leaving the country? Other than for work reasons is there any way for us to leave?

3 days was really too short notice to make longer term plans...
You cannot. Its extremely clear.

There are no ways to leave : if you don't satisfy one of the criteria of the "attestation" you cannot leave your home and therefore cannot even go to the airport.

2020 in the pioneer country of democracy and fundamental rights as they call it.

Though, if you are a foreigner or a French citizen with permanent residency abroad, I will be very surprised if they don't allow you to leave the country. At least because they are too lazy to fine a foreigner (too much paperwork, and too much reasons for you to travel that they cannot control)

I have read above that you can cross the border by paying 135€ : that's not how it works. If they enforce the controls (which I am sure they will from next week), you will end up with the 135€ fine + denial of border crossing + going back to your home and risk several additional fines.

And of course loosing your ticket if your airline is not as flexible as AF for instance.

If you are pissed-off (just like I would have been if I had travel plans for the next weeks/months) : raise this issue to a court. I think that it's clearly illegal. But no one is taking this to a court because very few people are travelling for leisure these days.

Last edited by IstKong; Oct 31, 2020 at 4:20 pm
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by IstKong
2020 in the pioneer country of democracy and fundamental rights as they call it.
My thoughts exactly... I find it crazy that such restrictions to individual freedoms can be authorised in this country.
As I have residency overseas I likely will be able to leave but thay would be skirting the law... This whole situation makes me sad, I was overseas during the first round so I'm unaware of how it was. But having come back temporarily I between two missions I have to say I'm really disappointed with my nation...
If any numbers the medias use are to believed 4 weeks is way too optimistic... we'll see how the situation unfolds but oh what sad times we live in.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
You cannot. Its extremely clear.

There are no ways to leave : if you don't satisfy one of the criteria of the "attestation" you cannot leave your home and therefore cannot even go to the airport.

You do realize you self-certify the criteria on the “attestation.” And having an airline ticket is by itself considered justification to reach the airport if I remember from the first lockdown.

Last edited by Braniff; Oct 31, 2020 at 6:11 pm
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff
You do realize you self-certify the criteria on the “attestation.” And having an airline ticket is by itself considered justification to reach the airport if I remember from the first lockdown.

You do self-certify, and if you are controlled, you may be be asked for a proof. For instance, if you are a self employed courrier, you can freely move within the city you work in, and if the police controls you, they will ask for a Kbis (incorporation certificate of your company). That's how it works. If you are employed, then they will ask for the form signed by your employer.

Having an airline ticket is not a valid reason to go to the airport if the purpose is not one of the exemptions.

And no, during the first lockdown, you were absolutely not able to travel abroad for tourism !
Old Nov 1, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Most likely due to leniency for this weekend only, but no control of whatever attestation (I had a copy with me) or test or whatsoever coming back from NBO through AMS (and yes I stated I was coming from NBO, not from AMS only)
Old Nov 1, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
But they never checked the attestation anyway, although they've been in place since months. At least not for French nationals, residents and EU nationals. Not sure about others.
Braniff likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 7:44 am

Maybe stupid question
what happens if someone with a french passeport flies from germany to Amsterdam then amsterdam to gru... will they be denied boarding?
Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Wil973
Maybe stupid question
what happens if someone with a french passeport flies from germany to Amsterdam then amsterdam to gru... will they be denied boarding?
No problem at all doing FRA-AMS-GRU for instance...

But don't risk a transit in CDG and a zealous officer that may ask you for the purpose of your trip...
Wil973 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 9:26 am

You do self-certify, and if you are controlled, you may be be asked for a proof.
But I don’t understand how they can verify whether you’re actually going on a business trip or not.

if you’re self employed/senior exec you can just make up any sort of business meeting and have a letter to support it.

if you’re employed you can make a “job interview” letter: that’s still a professional reason.

what are they going to do beyond calling the number of the letter?
Old Nov 1, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Chuvash
But I don’t understand how they can verify whether you’re actually going on a business trip or not.

if you’re self employed/senior exec you can just make up any sort of business meeting and have a letter to support it.

if you’re employed you can make a “job interview” letter: that’s still a professional reason.

what are they going to do beyond calling the number of the letter?
I highly doubt they would go as far as calling the number or verifying that the business you are visiting actually exists. It's not an IRS audit.

I'm not sure it's worth trying to figure out the logic behind all these self-certifications. Same as for the once-per-day, one-kilometer-away trips out of home which are self-certified and super-easy to abuse once you realize which box to check and how to play along with the ever-changing rules.

Yes, millions of people were caught with "invalid" certificates and fined during the first lockdown, and more will probably be fined in November. My guess is that they either mindlessly filled their certificate and made obvious mistakes, or just didn't get that there are ways to basically move around 100% legally during lockdown.

If you are a business owner, you can probably make any kind of business-related invitation appear. If you are employed, as you said a "job interview invitation" letter might be enough.
As of today I'd say the difficulty is only knowing which kind of documents (and underlying travel reasons) are actually considered valid. It's a bit of a gamble as there never was an official statement about it. But once we know which ones are OK... Being allowed to travel will only be as hard as having a printer and a piece of paper.
IstKong likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 10:27 am

Yes I agree completely, it’s not like they can spend 20’ per pax.

I honestly highly doubt we’ll ever get a straight answer on what is and isn’t ok. The bulk of the communication on travel restrictions will be around second homes and domestic/DOM-TOM, not non-Shengen business travel.

I just hope it won’t be a case of YMMV where you get a ticket, denied boarding, and sent home.
IstKong likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.