Why is AF not actually canceling flights?

Old Mar 21, 20, 12:53 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
First, I want to say this posting has been very helpful to me.would anyone be so kind as to look at my flights and give me an opinion.

April 7, 2020.
MIA-CDG-LIS

i purchased my ticket on Delta but was placed on a code share AF flight.
Delta informed me that AF must cancel the flight and if they do so I would be refunded the fare. My itinerary is still listed on my confirmation.
So far no cancellation.. But she also told me that AF is having difficulty getting people to their final destinations.

when I checked the AF schedule today for the day we land and are supposed to fly to LIS, the only flight listed departs much earlier from CDG then our arrival time.

Would anyone venture a guess as to how this will impact this trip.

Thank you
Bergstein is offline  
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:05 pm
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 19,977
Originally Posted by Bergstein View Post
First, I want to say this posting has been very helpful to me.would anyone be so kind as to look at my flights and give me an opinion.

April 7, 2020.
MIA-CDG-LIS

i purchased my ticket on Delta but was placed on a code share AF flight.
Delta informed me that AF must cancel the flight and if they do so I would be refunded the fare. My itinerary is still listed on my confirmation.
So far no cancellation.. But she also told me that AF is having difficulty getting people to their final destinations.

when I checked the AF schedule today for the day we land and are supposed to fly to LIS, the only flight listed departs much earlier from CDG then our arrival time.

Would anyone venture a guess as to how this will impact this trip.

Thank you
I am sure this MIA-CDG flight is already canceled. MIA was not part of the US destinations kept. I just tried a dummy booking for your date and no nonstop MIA-CDG flight is proposed.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:45 pm
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 29,067
Originally Posted by Bergstein View Post
First, I want to say this posting has been very helpful to me.would anyone be so kind as to look at my flights and give me an opinion.

April 7, 2020.
MIA-CDG-LIS

i purchased my ticket on Delta but was placed on a code share AF flight.
Delta informed me that AF must cancel the flight and if they do so I would be refunded the fare. My itinerary is still listed on my confirmation.
So far no cancellation.. But she also told me that AF is having difficulty getting people to their final destinations.

when I checked the AF schedule today for the day we land and are supposed to fly to LIS, the only flight listed departs much earlier from CDG then our arrival time.

Would anyone venture a guess as to how this will impact this trip.

Thank you
wait till the cancellation hits the system then ask Delta to refund it.
cfischer is offline  
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:46 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Silver)
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
I received an EMD receipt.
According to this, it is non-refundable and can only be used towards payment of a new ticket:
https://www.klm.com/travel/es_en/cus...itions/EMD.htm

Thanks for posting this -- very useful information. Could I please ask you for 2 items of further clarification:

1. Was this voucher in respect of a flight which the airline cancelled, or one which is still operating but which you no longer wish to take?
2. Was the voucher received for the full amount you paid, including all "taxes," or was there some deduction?

I am also assuming that your original ticket was "non-refundable."

Thanks in advance for your further help.
Stanbury is offline  
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:46 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Silver)
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
I received an EMD receipt.
According to this, it is non-refundable and can only be used towards payment of a new ticket:
https://www.klm.com/travel/es_en/cus...itions/EMD.htm

Thanks for posting this -- very useful information. Could I please ask you for 2 items of further clarification:

1. Was this voucher in respect of a flight which the airline cancelled, or one which is still operating but which you no longer wish to take?
2. Was the voucher received for the full amount you paid, including all "taxes," or was there some deduction?

I am also assuming that your original ticket was "non-refundable."

Thanks in advance for your further help.
Stanbury is offline  
Old Mar 21, 20, 5:52 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Can I ask are cancellations posted on the Air France website or do I wait for an email.

Never having a flight cancelled before ( lucky I guess) I really am not sure of the procedure.

As I said. As of now when I check my flight itinerary it still lists them as if all systems are a go..

Thanks against
Bergstein is offline  
Old Mar 22, 20, 3:39 am
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 19,977
you will be informed by AF or by the TA you used to book in case the flight is cancelled or rescheduled. You may also look regularly at your booking on AF website or app if you wish. AF is usually sending emails and text messages, if you gave all the needed contact info to AF of course.
Bergstein likes this.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Mar 22, 20, 6:16 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: LBA
Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA, LH M&M
Posts: 400
Originally Posted by Stanbury View Post
Thanks for posting this -- very useful information. Could I please ask you for 2 items of further clarification:

1. Was this voucher in respect of a flight which the airline cancelled, or one which is still operating but which you no longer wish to take?
2. Was the voucher received for the full amount you paid, including all "taxes," or was there some deduction?

I am also assuming that your original ticket was "non-refundable."
Thanks in advance for your further help.
My trip was MAN-CDG-TUR on AF. My ticket was Business class, non-refundable. It was a tier point run
1. At the time, 9 March, the flights were still running. But AF was offering to reschedule or give a voucher.
UK government advice at that time was not to travel to Italy, so I phoned up and arranged a voucher.
This was a few days before countries started closing their borders and everything exploded, so I was able to reach a phone agent without much trouble.
2. The voucher was for the full amount that I paid.

Of course, a cash refund would be better. But the sum involved is 360. I'll take a chance that AF/KLM will be able to honour this further down the line.
mikem004 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:29 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Goldoark. Now the MIA-CDG flights are no longer listed in my itinerary for April 7, but the return LIS-MIA is still listed on April 21.
Bergstein is offline  
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:42 am
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 19,977
Originally Posted by Bergstein View Post
Goldoark. Now the MIA-CDG flights are no longer listed in my itinerary for April 7, but the return LIS-MIA is still listed on April 21.
your outbound is cancelled. You can ask for reimbursement of the whole ticket.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Mar 22, 20, 12:04 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
ThankYou. I will be patient to get through.
Bergstein is offline  
Old Mar 22, 20, 12:20 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Silver)
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
My trip was MAN-CDG-TUR on AF. My ticket was Business class, non-refundable. It was a tier point run
1. At the time, 9 March, the flights were still running. But AF was offering to reschedule or give a voucher.
UK government advice at that time was not to travel to Italy, so I phoned up and arranged a voucher.
This was a few days before countries started closing their borders and everything exploded, so I was able to reach a phone agent without much trouble.
2. The voucher was for the full amount that I paid.

Of course, a cash refund would be better. But the sum involved is 360. I'll take a chance that AF/KLM will be able to honour this further down the line.
Thanks for the information - very helpful. I have a couple of non-refundable MPL-CDG-MAD-CDG-MPL tickets for flights in April. Flights are not (yet) cancelled. These are for now postposed events, which will most probably be rescheduled for the Fall. So I am reasonably happy with the vouchers since I guess AF would be within their rights to do nothing until and unless they cancel.
And maybe I am naive, but I would imagine that AF is probably the last company that would be permitted to go under!
Stanbury is offline  
Old Mar 22, 20, 3:30 pm
  #43  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Paris
Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Posts: 2,365
Update on my end...
Two tickets... one to the US and the other in Europe... both canceled today. One was for March 31st the other April 17th (the EU one).
I requested a refund stating that AF had canceled them. Now the wait begins...
bostontraveler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread