Why is AF not actually canceling flights?

Old Mar 21, 20, 12:53 pm

First, I want to say this posting has been very helpful to me.would anyone be so kind as to look at my flights and give me an opinion.

April 7, 2020.
MIA-CDG-LIS

i purchased my ticket on Delta but was placed on a code share AF flight.
Delta informed me that AF must cancel the flight and if they do so I would be refunded the fare. My itinerary is still listed on my confirmation.
So far no cancellation.. But she also told me that AF is having difficulty getting people to their final destinations.

when I checked the AF schedule today for the day we land and are supposed to fly to LIS, the only flight listed departs much earlier from CDG then our arrival time.

Would anyone venture a guess as to how this will impact this trip.

Thank you
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Bergstein View Post
First, I want to say this posting has been very helpful to me.would anyone be so kind as to look at my flights and give me an opinion.

April 7, 2020.
MIA-CDG-LIS

Delta informed me that AF must cancel the flight and if they do so I would be refunded the fare. My itinerary is still listed on my confirmation.
So far no cancellation.. But she also told me that AF is having difficulty getting people to their final destinations.

when I checked the AF schedule today for the day we land and are supposed to fly to LIS, the only flight listed departs much earlier from CDG then our arrival time.

Thank you
I am sure this MIA-CDG flight is already canceled. MIA was not part of the US destinations kept. I just tried a dummy booking for your date and no nonstop MIA-CDG flight is proposed.
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

April 7, 2020.
MIA-CDG-LIS

Thank you
wait till the cancellation hits the system then ask Delta to refund it.
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Silver)
Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
I received an EMD receipt.
According to this, it is non-refundable and can only be used towards payment of a new ticket:
https://www.klm.com/travel/es_en/cus...itions/EMD.htm

Thanks for posting this -- very useful information. Could I please ask you for 2 items of further clarification:

1. Was this voucher in respect of a flight which the airline cancelled, or one which is still operating but which you no longer wish to take?
2. Was the voucher received for the full amount you paid, including all "taxes," or was there some deduction?

I am also assuming that your original ticket was "non-refundable."

Thanks in advance for your further help.
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:46 pm

I received an EMD receipt.
According to this, it is non-refundable and can only be used towards payment of a new ticket:
https://www.klm.com/travel/es_en/cus...itions/EMD.htm

Thanks for posting this -- very useful information. Could I please ask you for 2 items of further clarification:

1. Was this voucher in respect of a flight which the airline cancelled, or one which is still operating but which you no longer wish to take?
2. Was the voucher received for the full amount you paid, including all "taxes," or was there some deduction?

Old Mar 21, 20, 5:52 pm

Can I ask are cancellations posted on the Air France website or do I wait for an email.

Never having a flight cancelled before ( lucky I guess) I really am not sure of the procedure.

As I said. As of now when I check my flight itinerary it still lists them as if all systems are a go..

Thanks against
Old Mar 22, 20, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
you will be informed by AF or by the TA you used to book in case the flight is cancelled or rescheduled. You may also look regularly at your booking on AF website or app if you wish. AF is usually sending emails and text messages, if you gave all the needed contact info to AF of course.
Bergstein likes this.
Old Mar 22, 20, 6:16 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Stanbury View Post

My trip was MAN-CDG-TUR on AF. My ticket was Business class, non-refundable. It was a tier point run
1. At the time, 9 March, the flights were still running. But AF was offering to reschedule or give a voucher.
UK government advice at that time was not to travel to Italy, so I phoned up and arranged a voucher.
This was a few days before countries started closing their borders and everything exploded, so I was able to reach a phone agent without much trouble.
2. The voucher was for the full amount that I paid.

Of course, a cash refund would be better. But the sum involved is 360. I'll take a chance that AF/KLM will be able to honour this further down the line.
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:29 am

Goldoark. Now the MIA-CDG flights are no longer listed in my itinerary for April 7, but the return LIS-MIA is still listed on April 21.
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Goldoark. Now the MIA-CDG flights are no longer listed in my itinerary for April 7, but the return LIS-MIA is still listed on April 21.
your outbound is cancelled. You can ask for reimbursement of the whole ticket.
Old Mar 22, 20, 12:04 pm

ThankYou. I will be patient to get through.
Old Mar 22, 20, 12:20 pm

My trip was MAN-CDG-TUR on AF. My ticket was Business class, non-refundable. It was a tier point run
1. At the time, 9 March, the flights were still running. But AF was offering to reschedule or give a voucher.
UK government advice at that time was not to travel to Italy, so I phoned up and arranged a voucher.
This was a few days before countries started closing their borders and everything exploded, so I was able to reach a phone agent without much trouble.
2. The voucher was for the full amount that I paid.

Of course, a cash refund would be better. But the sum involved is 360. I'll take a chance that AF/KLM will be able to honour this further down the line.
Thanks for the information - very helpful. I have a couple of non-refundable MPL-CDG-MAD-CDG-MPL tickets for flights in April. Flights are not (yet) cancelled. These are for now postposed events, which will most probably be rescheduled for the Fall. So I am reasonably happy with the vouchers since I guess AF would be within their rights to do nothing until and unless they cancel.
And maybe I am naive, but I would imagine that AF is probably the last company that would be permitted to go under!
Old Mar 22, 20, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Update on my end...
Two tickets... one to the US and the other in Europe... both canceled today. One was for March 31st the other April 17th (the EU one).
I requested a refund stating that AF had canceled them. Now the wait begins...

Search this Thread