Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

New "La Première Suite" will be revealed to the public on May 7th, 2014 [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "La Première Suite" will be revealed to the public on May 7th, 2014 [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Except if there is a trained person on board, like the "Chef on board" on some airlines (TK and OS I believe are the only ones?) or the FA has a hotel school training (often on LX, but alas not a recruiting criteria and a systematic crewing).

Again, that would have been an opportunity for AF to set its Premiere product apart. But then having a chef for a maximum of 4 passengers - and often there will only be 1 or 2 - doesn't make much sense either.
And that's in j! Yes it does make a real difference on OS notably when the onboard chef prepares your fresh fried eggs in the morning! (I personally think that while food on TK is also superb, the chef is more "decorative" there). I think tg f used to also have onboard chefs but this is not from experience. Note that on OS and TK, food is not Michelin star designed but do&co and vastly superior to AF IMHO.

Sadly, AF will stick to their supplier servair which motto should be "distinctedly average". You are right that AF could have come up with an entirely different food service for f but I fear it will be servair doing servair regardless of whether the menu is designed by ducasse or la cantiniere du coin. At least as usual with servair the desserts (Lenotre designed) will be excellent and it's a great touch that they reintroduce caviar for good.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I can relate to your passion (note that the NCE-JFK route first when from wonderful Pan Am to twa for a brief period before DL took over). My fear though is that ducasse designed meals today will be a far cry from Verge's designed meals at the time in the sense that IMHO, current star chef meals in the air are often disappointing and ultimately still ready made meals that get warmed up for the wrong time and at the wrong temperature by crew who have no particular competence in food preparation. So not sure the Ducasse will eork much better than the Robuchon or the Roth.
Except if there is a trained person on board

Since a few years the crew in P do get special training on heating and plating dishes. This wasn't the case in the past, and imho the difference shows. Having said that, I think the inflight catering in P is good, but certainly not exceptional.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Zembla
Since a few years the crew in P do get special training on heating and plating dishes. This wasn't the case in the past, and imho the difference shows. Having said that, I think the inflight catering in P is good, but certainly not exceptional.
Switching to a complete à la carte dining would be a nice move. Although, in practice, it is more or less the case today, especially if the load is light in the P cabin.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Zembla
Not only from my own experience but from that of people around me, it definitely shows in terms of presentation. And while, as San Gottardo says, they do not get the special "Ecole hoteliere" training of LX F attendants, I typically find the waiting skills of cabin crew in premium classes in both AF and LX of very high standard. We are talking of people who routinely have the (elegant) common sense to check for microcracks in your glass before serving you and can do a very classy job of it if they want. This is very much an AF asset (and again LX too). As you say, though, it is just the food quality itself which does not entirely wow. As you say, it is consistently good, and you can even clearly see the effort of choosing more premium ingredients than a few years ago, but somehow, AF does not manage to make you 'forget' that it is airline food and it still feels slightly awkward as in something you feel must have been very good when tried on the ground when menu was selected but doesn't quite cut it in the air. I don't really know how to express it other than saying that for whatever reason, on some other airlines like OS, TK, AZ, QR, QF, or EY, even when you only fly J, they managed to prepare the food in a way which makes you wonder for a minute if it might have actually been freshly prepared. Of course, you know it hasn't, but it is close enough that you can get that moment of (positive) hesitation. In my limited experience of AF P (let alone my much less limited experience of AF J) I have never had that hesitation, even though I think that in P (and occasionally in J) you can definitely see "where they are coming from" and what the meal could have tasted like - which is already a good start but not quite the same.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: Many
But then having a chef for a maximum of 4 passengers - and often there will only be 1 or 2 - doesn't make much sense either.
I am sure the Captain's wife would appreciate that improvement.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by bodory
I am sure the Captain's wife would appreciate that improvement.
Not sure if this behaviour is still in place, I have not seen that for a while... Even Frédéric Gagey flew in J during our trip to PVG.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And that's in j! Yes it does make a real difference on OS notably when the onboard chef prepares your fresh fried eggs in the morning! (I personally think that while food on TK is also superb, the chef is more "decorative" there). I think tg f used to also have onboard chefs but this is not from experience.
BD used to have a chef onboard too on its tatl flights. While the food on BD tatl in C was rather good, I am not sure how much of that was attributable to the presence of the onboard chef.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by NickB
BD used to have a chef onboard too on its tatl flights. While the food on BD tatl in C was rather good, I am not sure how much of that was attributable to the presence of the onboard chef.
Good point! I wonder too. I'm still missing BD by the way!
Old May 13, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by olivedel
Even Frédéric Gagey flew in J during our trip to PVG.
Knowing him a bit personaly, I am not surprised.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
And while, as San Gottardo says, they do not get the special "Ecole hoteliere" training of LX F attendants,
As far as I know the First Class FAs on Swiss do not get hotel school training. It is just a fact that many an FA on LX has been to hotel schools (surprisingly enough even to the prestigious ones in Lausanne, Glion, Geneva - where you wonder why they decide to become FA), but they are not systematically deployed in First Class. It is not a criteria for crewing I believe.

So that "hotel school trained" FA is not a trademark or an integral part of First Class service concept on LX, it is just a matter of pure luck if one of the FAs has that training.

I typically find the waiting skills of cabin crew in premium classes in both AF and LX of very high standard.
A good premium class FA on Air France is way better than a good premium class FA on Swiss. A bad FA on Air France is much worse than a bad FA on Swiss. The only thing the Swiss FAs consistently do better, especially in First, is to be ultra-thoughtful, proactive and anticipating needs.

QR, even when you only fly J,
Oh yeah...

By the way, I don't get over-excited about them bringing back caviar. It's the kind of thing that is offered to make the product look premium, but neither I nor people that know a thing or two about caviar particularly enjoy the caviar that is served on board (I only know LH's and EK's caviar). Why not give the entire thing a French touch and improve the wine menu which is currently a bad joke for a First Class cabin.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:57 am

By the way, I don't get over-excited about them bringing back caviar. It's the kind of thing that is offered to make the product look premium, but neither I nor people that know a thing or two about caviar particularly enjoy the caviar that is served on board (I only know LH's and EK's caviar). Why not give the entire thing a French touch and improve the wine menu which is currently a bad joke for a First Class cabin.
I have no doubt that it will be Caviar d'Aquitaine!

I agree with you that the very best crew I have ever had have been on AF. That said, what I was suggesting that both good AF and good LX crews tend to be well above the European average in terms of waiting skills IMHO (not just in premium classes).
Old May 13, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I have no doubt that it will be Caviar d'Aquitaine!
For sure, it will not be a "caviar open bar", as I experienced two times on EK
Old May 13, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by olivedel
For sure, it will not be a "caviar open bar", as I experienced two times on EK
I recall after taking BA's Concorde looking up the price of the Caviar tins they were handing out onboard (all you wanted), and I think the price was £125 each.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I recall after taking BA's Concorde looking up the price of the Caviar tins they were handing out onboard (all you wanted), and I think the price was £125 each.

Ah, but now it is all farmed caviar. If AF are serving the small 'egg' they experimented with recently, that will cost them about €10 bulk price for that serving size and pretty packaging of what is a good quality farmed caviar.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
The two airlines that I am familiar with and that serve caviar do so à volonté (or à discrétion for the Swiss). Think of all the stereotypes you can think of of the kind of people that ask for caviar a second, a third, a fourth, etc. time. The ones that believe that eating is a sign of their social status and thus makes them better persons, the ones that look like doing their once-in-a-lifetime trip in F and want to benefit as much as possible from everything offered (including spending hours in the lounge before departure as if there was no other place on earth where one could have a decent meal or a glass of champagne). They also are usually the ones who eat their caviar by mixing it up into a mash of sour creme, onions, lemon, and lemon and then spread it on a blini like a tartine. I don't know a thing about caviar and I don't particularly like it, but I don't think that this is the way gourmets do it.

But I let others who are more knowledgeable comment and I won't be surprised if it turns out that the real way to have caviar in Russia and Iran has nothing to do with how it is being "taught" in the rest of the world.

Let's see how AF will do it. Whether or not they'll also offer a selection of vodkas with it (LH does that I think)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.