Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EY wet-leases AF 343

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by KVS
The term is correct -- AF is wet-leasing its aircraft to EY.

Segment Flight Note
------- ----------------------------------
CDG-AUH COMMERCIAL DUPLICATE - OPERATED BY
AIR FRANCE FOR ETIHAD AIRWAYS
CDG-AUH AIRCRAFT OWNER AIR FRANCE
CDG-AUH COCKPIT CREW ETIHAD AIRWAYS
CDG-AUH CABIN CREW ETIHAD AIRWAYS

If it were a wet-lease should cockpit and cabin crew be AF?

Ulxima
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:23 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by ulxima
If it were a wet-lease should cockpit and cabin crew be AF?
Not necessarily:

From http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_lease#Wet_lease:
"In the United Kingdom, a wet lease is when an aircraft is operated under the Air Operator's Certificate (AOC) of the lessor.

When an air carrier provides less than an entire aircraft crew, the wet lease occasionally is also sometimes referred to as a damp lease, especially in the UK. A wet lease without crew is occasionally referred to as a "moist lease"
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Thank you KVS for the explanation ^

Ulxima
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
mmm... that reminds me of the confusion of flights operated by bmi on behalf of Lufthansa (under a wet lease agreement) which could be booked under a bmi code on a codeshare basis: yes we are bmi but, no, not really as far as you are concerned as we are really kind of Lufthansa. However, you can book under our bmi code but do understand that although the crew and aircraft are bmi, this really should be regarded as if it were a Lufthansa aircraft (notably in terms of earning miles, whether you can use upgrade vouchers, etc...) and therefore not really as a bmi metal flight even if it is in fact bmi metal. Still following me? No end of confusion with these on the bmi board in those days

If I am hobest, it is not that difficult to follow really if you are methodical. Online booking systems, however, are not really designed to be able to distinguish with that kind of subtlety.
Yes it's exactly what I thought of too. And indeed not hard to follow but still mildly absurd. And I agree with others it's really disappointing and something to say in favour of true competition: ey would never have dared on a competitive route while here...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
As a loyal Etihad customer and a great fan of their premium cabins (especially their Business class is outstanding!) I am quite shocked how they even dare selling EY tickets at EY fares to make people travel on an Air France plane where the premium cabins are either absent (no First) or hugely inferior (NEVx vs. true lie-flat in a kind of mini-suite, small screen vs. big screen, internet access on some planes vs. no internet access, etc). I typically check on the type of plane that I take so I'd notice, but I'd be really mad if I blindly trusted EY and then found myself confronted with the bad surprise of walking onto an AF A340. And even without that I am mad. I regularly use both the morning and night flights from CDG and also on the way back I use the night flight (less often) and the early morning departure. Now my choice is limited: whilst it will be bearable to be in the NEV seats on the 9am departure for the day flight to Paris taking the Air France A340 without any lie flat seats for a night flight is just a big no no. And Etihad has the nice benefit of never being on strike, although I assume that EY will use one of its own planes should the AF-operated bird not fly because of a strike (=so the best thing that can happen to you as an Etihad customer is for Air France to go on strike and be on the replacement plane!).

Etihad I have lost any trust in them
Indeed. My family and colleagues have used EY a few times in past year to fly CDG-Asia. Not much coz they dont fly to HKG. But that will be the end of it from/to CDG. The motivation for bearing a stop in AUH was 1) good fare and 2) great premium product. Both are ending.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed. My family and colleagues have used EY a few times in past year to fly CDG-Asia. Not much coz they dont fly to HKG. But that will be the end of it from/to CDG. The motivation for bearing a stop in AUH was 1) good fare and 2) great premium product. Both are ending.
Well it is ending on only one out of two daily flights. But the beauty of EY was precisely that there were two flights per day, giving passengers a choice. With one of the flights now no longer offering the superior EY product the offering becomes much less attractive.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KVS
Not necessarily:

From http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_lease#Wet_lease:
"In the United Kingdom, a wet lease is when an aircraft is operated under the Air Operator's Certificate (AOC) of the lessor.

When an air carrier provides less than an entire aircraft crew, the wet lease occasionally is also sometimes referred to as a damp lease, especially in the UK. A wet lease without crew is occasionally referred to as a "moist lease"
So this is not a wet lease then, going by any of those criteria!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:35 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by irishguy28
So this is not a wet lease then, going by any of those criteria!
It is, as the AOC + maintenance, insurance and [partial] crew (all of which will still be provided by AF) criteria are met.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Your post shows both cabin and cockpit crew as being provided by Etihad. In my book, that's a damp lease at the most!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your post shows both cabin and cockpit crew as being provided by Etihad. In my book, that's a damp lease at the most!
Perhaps you might want to invest in a hygrometer to be able to exactly specify where exactly on the scale we should classify this arrangement.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Ladies and Gentlemen, we are pleased to welcome you onboard your flight EY 123 bound for Doha. This flight is operated as a damp lease using an Air France aircraft and some bits and pieces of Air France crew and maintenance and more Etihad one, and is operated in conjunction with our Air France partner as part of a half baked code-sharing agreement with ourselves working on behalf of someone else....
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
half baked code-sharing agreement
Well, what do you expect? If the lease is too damp, it is going to end up half-baked.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
Well, what do you expect? If the lease is too damp, it is going to end up half-baked.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&Smiles
<offtopic>
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one cracking up at the end of this thread. Thanks irishguy28, NickB and orbitmic!
</offtopic>
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:19 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Once the lease is no longer dry (A/C only / using the leasing company's AOC), it's wet. However, the exact level of 'wetness' may vary .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.