Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EY wet-leases AF 343

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
EY wet-leases AF 343

Just received this news

Ulxima
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Etihad Airways va louer un A340-300 avec quipage d'Air France

Etihad Airways annonce son projet de louer un Airbus A340-300 d'Air France, avec son quipage, pour le placer sur sa liaison entre Paris et Abu Dhabi du 15 mai au 30 novembre 2013.

(AF.com shows these flights as "effectu par: Etihad". Which I guess is [strictly speaking] correct, but...)
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by irishguy28
(AF.com shows these flights as "effectu par: Etihad". Which I guess is [strictly speaking] correct, but...)
Would in this case be a "dry lease" instead of "wet"?
I am sorry for my asking but I am not that proficient in French

Ulxima
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Poor me....please Irishguy disregard my silly question.
Thank you

Ulxima
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wet lease: the contracted airline provides everything (crew, craft, maintenance, insurance - but NOT fuel!!) to the lessee.
Dry lease: only the aircraft is provided. The lessee has to provide everything else (crew, maintenance, insurance, operating certificate, etc etc)

Given that EY's own direct service to AMS commences on this date - MAY15 - I thought perhaps the freed-up aircraft would be used on that route. However, the AMS route will be operated by an A330-200, so this EY A340 that is no longer needed for Paris will be going somewhere other than Amsterdam...

Interesting to note that KLM is still not selling tickets on the "new" EY direct service from AMS (instead offering its own direct flight, or connecting with EY in Paris or QR in Doha, or via Paris connecting to this wet-lease "AIR FRANCE FOR ETIHAD AIRWAYS" flight. Strange KLM should already be selling tickets for this just-announced arrangement while still not selling tickets for the EY flight from AMS!)

Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Very bad news.
EY premium products (including on EY A340s) are so much better than AF. This is awful news for all those connecting in AUH to Asia.

I guess that AF philosophy is that if they cannot compete up to the standards of EY, then they should get EY to move down to the standards of AF.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I guess that AF philosophy is that if they cannot compete up to the standards of EY, then they should get EY to move down to the standards of AF.
Perhaps they are going to join Flying Blue too in the long term...

Ulxima
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ulxima
Perhaps they are going to join Flying Blue too in the long term...
That's a long way down the road! Etihad still isn't even a Flying Blue partner airline, despite the so-called "strategic partnership" and "strengthened co-operation"!!!

Originally Posted by Etihad
Etihad Airways and Air France-KLM strengthen cooperation 03-02-2013

Etihad Airways has strengthened its relationship with Air France-KLM, with the announcement that the UAE flag carrier will wet-lease an Air France Airbus A340-300 for use on the Paris-Abu Dhabi route from May 15 to November 30.

Air France will operate the 272 seat aircraft as one of Etihad Airways’ two daily Paris-Abu Dhabi return services – EY37 and EY38 respectively.

Last October, Etihad Airways and Air France-KLM forged a strategic partnership which saw the two airline groups work together to create value for each airline.

The agreement expanded the UAE flag carrier’s European network with codeshare services beyond Paris to Bordeaux, Copenhagen, Madrid, Nice and Toulouse, and saw Air France place its AF flight code on Etihad Airways operated flights between Paris Charles de Gaulle and Abu Dhabi, and to cities beyond.

It also played a key role in Etihad Airways announcing direct Amsterdam-Abu Dhabi services effective May 15, in addition to KLM increasing its direct Amsterdam-Abu Dhabi services to daily from summer 2013.

Kevin Knight, Chief Strategy and Planning Officer at Etihad Airways, said: “This agreement to wet-lease an Air France A340-300 aircraft demonstrates the mutual benefits generated by our close relationship with Air France-KLM.

“On the back of recent announcements, this latest cooperation deal is good for both carriers in terms of better optimising our fleets for the rest of 2013.

“The temporary wet-leased EY37 and EY38 return service will also see Etihad Airways cabin crew on board, working alongside Air France attendants to provide our guests with an inspired travelling experience that the world’s leading airline is best known for.”

Etihad Airways premium customers travelling from or to Paris Charles de Gaulle will continue to receive the priority service they have become accustomed to, including: Etihad Chauffeur service to CDG airport, priority check-in at the Etihad Airways counter, access to the new 620 square metre Etihad Airways signature premium lounge, and subsequent priority boarding of the aircraft.

Double-daily Paris-Abu Dhabi flight schedule
EY 032 Paris (CDG) to Abu Dhabi (AUH) 1100 – 2040
EY 038 Paris (CDG) to Abu Dhabi (AUH) 2140 – 0720 + 1day (wet-lease)
EY 031 Abu Dhabi (AUH) to Paris (CDG) 02:15 – 06:55
EY 037 Abu Dhabi (AUH) to Paris (CDG) 08:45 – 13.25 (wet-lease)

Interesting to note that there will be both Etihad AND Air France crew on board! I've never heard of such a "joint" staffing arrangement before (which is not to say that it does not happen).
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:03 am
Original Poster

That's a long way down the road!

Interesting to note that there will be both Etihad AND Air France crew on board! I've never heard of such a "joint" staffing arrangement before (which is not to say that it does not happen).
Indeed it is not so common.
All this seems playing favourably towards a deep JV which could (hopefully) culminate with EY joining SkyTeam in 2014.

Ulxima
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mmm... that reminds me of the confusion of flights operated by bmi on behalf of Lufthansa (under a wet lease agreement) which could be booked under a bmi code on a codeshare basis: yes we are bmi but, no, not really as far as you are concerned as we are really kind of Lufthansa. However, you can book under our bmi code but do understand that although the crew and aircraft are bmi, this really should be regarded as if it were a Lufthansa aircraft (notably in terms of earning miles, whether you can use upgrade vouchers, etc...) and therefore not really as a bmi metal flight even if it is in fact bmi metal. Still following me? No end of confusion with these on the bmi board in those days

If I am hobest, it is not that difficult to follow really if you are methodical. Online booking systems, however, are not really designed to be able to distinguish with that kind of subtlety.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, but I just find it a little funny that KLM can describe the flights rather more accurately than AF themselves do ("Air France for Etihad Airways" vs. "Etihad").
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
As a loyal Etihad customer and a great fan of their premium cabins (especially their Business class is outstanding!) I am quite shocked how they even dare selling EY tickets at EY fares to make people travel on an Air France plane where the premium cabins are either absent (no First) or hugely inferior (NEVx vs. true lie-flat in a kind of mini-suite, small screen vs. big screen, internet access on some planes vs. no internet access, etc). I typically check on the type of plane that I take so I'd notice, but I'd be really mad if I blindly trusted EY and then found myself confronted with the bad surprise of walking onto an AF A340. And even without that I am mad. I regularly use both the morning and night flights from CDG and also on the way back I use the night flight (less often) and the early morning departure. Now my choice is limited: whilst it will be bearable to be in the NEV seats on the 9am departure for the day flight to Paris taking the Air France A340 without any lie flat seats for a night flight is just a big no no. And Etihad has the nice benefit of never being on strike, although I assume that EY will use one of its own planes should the AF-operated bird not fly because of a strike (=so the best thing that can happen to you as an Etihad customer is for Air France to go on strike and be on the replacement plane!).

Etihad I have lost any trust in them
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's supposed to be a temporary arrangement only, with the "wet lease" (I still think that's not quite the right term for this?) due to end in November.

(Though, beyond that date, it may just be that AF continues as one of two daily flights on the route as a "normal" codeshare).
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by AirlineRoute
ETIHAD Wet-Leases AIRFRANCE Aircraft for Paris Service May Nov 2013
I am somewhat surprised by this news. I wouldn't have thought that EY are so short of aircraft that they need to borrow one (as irishguy28 says, I wonder where they are deploying the A340-500 that currently does this route?) I don't know what new aircraft EY has on order currently, but if they need another A340-300, then Airbus has at least six second-hand ones for sale or lease between now and April...

And if such a lease isn't a suitable solution, I wonder why they didn't just let Air France operate one rotation a day, with EY codesharing on it (this seems to be how a lot of such routes work, with two airlines each providing one rotation. If such an arrangement had been used, that would seem to have been stronger evidence of a potential move towards a JV than simply having both airlines' cabin crews on board...) The 'AF wetleased under an EY operating code with an AF codeshare' seems rather complicated, and potentially confusing for pax (as San Gottardo has pointed out...) But perhaps there are regulatory issues at play, or EY didn't want to lose the rights to the route/slots...

KLM leased an MD-11 to KQ for a couple of months in 2009, to operate KQ's schedules on the AMS-NBO route (I think while KQ's fleet was undergoing maintenance, and KL had spare capacity). The flight crew were still KLM (as KQ didn't have pilots certified for the type) but cabin crew were KQ (who had undergone conversion training, which is presumably much quicker for cabin crew than for flight crew!)

However, having both airlines' cabin crew on board the same flight does sound unusual (and perhaps also confusing...)
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:05 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

It's supposed to be a temporary arrangement only, with the "wet lease" (I still think that's not quite the right term for this?) due to end in November.
The term is correct -- AF is wet-leasing its aircraft to EY.
As a separate arrangement, AF codeshares on the EY flight.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.4/Diamond - Amadeus Operational Info: EY 38/01 Jun 2013]
Code:
                 Planned Flight Info
Segment          Departure  Arrival    Duration
-------          ---------  ---------  --------
CDG-AUH          22:05/Sat  07:00/Sun  06:55

Segment          Flight Note
-------          -------------------------------------------
CDG-AUH          AIRCRAFT OWNER AIR FRANCE
CDG-AUH          DEPARTS TERMINAL 2A
CDG-AUH          ARRIVES TERMINAL 3
CDG-AUH          9/ NON-SMOKING
CDG-AUH          ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
CDG-AUH          CABIN J- CHAUFFEUR SVC AVBL FOR F AND J PAX
CDG-AUH          INSERT ADVANCE PAX INFO PPT ON SSR DOCS
CDG-AUH          ADVISE GUEST CONTACT TO AVOID CANCELLATION
                 DEPARTS TERMINAL 2A
                 ARRIVES TERMINAL 3
[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.4/Diamond - Amadeus Operational Info: AF 3802/01 Jun 2013]
Code:
                 Planned Flight Info
Segment          Departure  Arrival    Duration
-------          ---------  ---------  --------
CDG-AUH          22:05/Sat  07:00/Sun  06:55

Segment          Flight Note
-------          ----------------------------------
CDG-AUH          COMMERCIAL DUPLICATE - OPERATED BY
                 AIR FRANCE FOR ETIHAD AIRWAYS
CDG-AUH          AIRCRAFT OWNER AIR FRANCE
CDG-AUH          COCKPIT CREW ETIHAD AIRWAYS
CDG-AUH          CABIN CREW ETIHAD AIRWAYS
CDG-AUH          MEMBER OF SKYTEAM
CDG-AUH          OPERATIONAL LEG EY 0038
CDG-AUH          DEPARTS TERMINAL 2A
CDG-AUH          ARRIVES TERMINAL 3
CDG-AUH          9/ NON-SMOKING
CDG-AUH          ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
                 DEPARTS TERMINAL 2A
                 ARRIVES TERMINAL 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.