Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:16 pm

C-FRAM is on its way back to YYZ...

http://www.flightradar24.com/flight/ac7064
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by YYCCL3

Is this the biter or turbulence plane...or another one altogether?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCCL3

Presumably ferried back, if it's the turbulence one?

No such a revenue flight according to aircanada.com.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Dorian
Is this the biter or turbulence plane...or another one altogether?
Turbulence. Suspect it needs few cabin repairs...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
The biter ferried from YYC to YYZ but got hit with turbulence.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Turbulence. Suspect it needs few cabin repairs...
Not sure how many airports have the maitanance crew in place to get emergency oxygen system repacked properly in a timely manner for one.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Just an aside, I was on a CX flight that followed the AC plane. Our crew knew about the AC incident before we left, but the flight path was still mostly the same.
I have never been in such violent turbulence. They came on without any warning and lasted for about 5 minutes or so. I was in biz sleeping and my entire body levitated about a foot in the air before my seatbelt restrained me.
We had one flight attendant sustain minor injuries, nothing like the AC flight. Our pilot did call for a structural inspection upon landing though.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Experts weigh in on cause of AC turbulence.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle27980763/
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:11 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by airbus320
Unions?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airbus320
"Experts" I wouild say.

Just a bunch of platitudes that most of us are probably already aware of.

The funny thing about turbulence is that there is no real definition, beyond "you know it when you see it." Which BTW goes way beyond flight and aviation. Helps or hurts.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YtravelF
Just an aside, I was on a CX flight that followed the AC plane. Our crew knew about the AC incident before we left, but the flight path was still mostly the same.
I have never been in such violent turbulence. They came on without any warning and lasted for about 5 minutes or so. I was in biz sleeping and my entire body levitated about a foot in the air before my seatbelt restrained me.
We had one flight attendant sustain minor injuries, nothing like the AC flight. Our pilot did call for a structural inspection upon landing though.
I would be pretty pissed at my airline flying knowingly right into a mess that got a bunch of people hospitalized.

"Well, maybe we'll be ok?"

Great flight plan.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
They also made it clear to put the seat belt over the blankets so crew can see them and not wake people to buckle up.
They are also the only airline I've heard request that about the seat belts (over the blankets). It makes a lot of sense.

These announcements are in as many as 4 different languages and often repeated, so quite frankly, there is no excuse.
Repeated so frequently that I want to stick pencils in my ears. Which obviously means to me that anyone who ignores this basically gets what is coming to them.

AC to me clearly does everything it can to get people to respect basic safety procedures short of having an ongoing rolling check. At some point the responsibility shifts from them to warn them to the passenger having to listen and do the right thing.

AC does enough.

21 people injured to me is a bunch of seatbelts and then possibly some flying debris.

I would not want to be hit in the head with a flying metal Macbook.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nihonto
I would be pretty pissed at my airline flying knowingly right into a mess that got a bunch of people hospitalized.

"Well, maybe we'll be ok?"

Great flight plan.
Unbelievable. This is a really ignorant comment. There are limited options and I'm sure their flight crew evaluated all options and decided that flying their original plan (if they did that) was the best option given the multiple variables to consider.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by YtravelF
Just curious how you found that out? Did someone in the crew tell you they'd heard about the AC flight incident?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Harrowing flight had Winnipeggers saying their goodbyes
Wayde was travelling on a turbulent Air Canada flight from Phoenix to Toronto when the aircraft suddenly dropped about 20,000 feet and the air bags deployed.
I call bull on this one. 20,000 feet?

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/01/0...their-goodbyes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.