Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not at all. This was not bad, no one killed and only minor injuries. If you think an uncontained engine failure is any better, think again.

The Dash 8 has a very good safety record BTW. And so does the SAAB turboprop.
I've survived jet engines that fail in the air.

I'm not worried about turboprop engines failing in the air either.

And this has nothing to do with an engine failure. This is a propeller, something commercial airliners are anal about keeping pax away from when the pax board or de-board on the tarmac. I'm was not, and still am not, worried about a propeller coming off mid flight and slicing my torso in half. I am however worried that during landing, takeoff, and taxi, the propeller blade breaking off as it hits the ground for other reasons and killing me. Turboprops are horrors, and I for one will be sitting in the back of q400s or far in the front.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
They might have moved passengers to the other side before landing.

Which appears to be standard procedure.
They didn't.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mre5765
I've survived jet engines that fail in the air.

I'm not worried about turboprop engines failing in the air either.

And this has nothing to do with an engine failure. This is a propeller, something commercial airliners are anal about keeping pax away from when the pax board or de-board on the tarmac. I'm was not, and still am not, worried about a propeller coming off mid flight and slicing my torso in half. I am however worried that during landing, takeoff, and taxi, the propeller blade breaking off as it hits the ground for other reasons and killing me. Turboprops are horrors, and I for one will be sitting in the back of q400s or far in the front.
Turboprops are fine. They have their place and in the peoper context they are way more efficient. The US picture has to do with business/market/airlines issues. Not technical ones.

Turbine blades are as much prone at "coming off in mid flight" and slicing your torso in half" as propeller blade, or more. For a variety of reasons, they are way more challenging to design This said, the "in mid flight" part is rather unlikely. It would be much more likely during takeoff when at full power.

Plus, turbofans are more or less glorified turboprops, with the prop being ducted. (OK a bit of a gross oversimplification, but from the standpoint of blades fying off, more or less OK.)
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dorian
They didn't.
That's a bit surprising.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:08 am
Formerly known as tireman77

I'll say it again:

Unconfined Engine failures occur in Jets too. Example: Qantas A380 (2010), And Spirit A320 (2013). Statically the last few rows are the 'safest' (highest probability of surviving a major incident, if only extremely marginally), so will people also stop flying J?

There are tens of thousands of flights daily so I would hope that smart Frequent Flyers in this forum are logical enough not get caught up in the hysteria of an outlier and choose their seats for comfort, or atmosphere and not because they perceive it a safer...
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by PLeblond
There are tens of thousands of flights daily so I would hope that smart Frequent Flyers in this forum are logical enough not get caught up in the hysteria of an outlier and choose their seats for comfort, or atmosphere and not because they perceive it a safer...
...especially those who, you know, ever drive in cars.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvrgary
...especially those who, you know, ever drive in cars.
Or cross the road.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If they knew the tire blew on takeoff, why didn't they foam the runway for landing?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
If they knew the tire blew on takeoff, why didn't they foam the runway for landing?
They don't 'foam' runways anymore, as not only would it degrade braking action (perhaps causing, in and of itself, an over-run or an unplanned egress), but it involves the use of a heck of a lot of (toxic) material in an effort to take care of a relatively uncommon problem upon landing, landing gear fire. Not to mention, actually make it harder for the first responders to get to the aircraft when it does stop.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
This story reports that one of the injured passengers in the Edmonton incident received a head injury from the propellor:

One passenger described how the whole inside of the plane blew out causing fiberglass to be embedded into Ms Kurylo’s skin, before a huge purple lump appeared on her head after she was hit by the propellor.
http://canadajournal.net/canada/air-...er-18889-2014/
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
That's a bit surprising.
Probably due to a couple of things as reported in the media: the flight was near capacity, only a couple of empty seats I believe, and more importantly there was no indication of issues with the MLG prior to landing.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:19 am
Formerly known as tireman77

I suggest waiting for the official report before questioning what could/should have been done.

Example, did the landing gear fail, pulling the plane off the runway, or did the plane skid off the runway because of the blown tire and the gear collapsed when it exited the runway?

Blown tires on take off are rather common occurrences as incidents go, but its difficult to see if the tire 'shrapnel' has damaged anything else in the brake mechanism. Example, if the brake mechanism was seized with debris.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I read about this and glad no serious injuries. The odds of that happening are really rare so it's just unfortunate.

I'd still sit beside the prop. Looks cool.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Why didn't they just continue to GP? I don't understand the decision to land at YEG.
Head back to YYC or complete your flight plan. The tire was already shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.