Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:21 am
alc

Originally Posted by vkk1406
I fly to DXB for work quite a bit now and already planned 2 trips before Feb2018. I just thought if I hit 35k now it'll help with maintaining the 35k for next year.
Im way above my 4000AQD and now stands at 7000+ AQD.

Im not 100% sold on if its even worth it to do.
with no guarantee that AC will do the same again this year, but many reported in the past and I had experience myself is that if you are that close to a status, they will grant you the status in Dec/Jan. Also, last year, they offer to those were close (not as close as you are) to pay for a status upgrade to the next level

IMO, for int'l travel E35K might not give you much and help you at all. If it is E50K to get *G, that might be a different discussion.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alc
welcome to FlyerTalk.

Based on AC flights posting activities recently, you need to complete your flight on Oct 11 so it will post on Oct 15 for the official cut-off date. If you also need AQD, that had been taking 6 or 7 days to post and hence, that means you need to fly today.
It's always been about flying by that date, not having it posted by that date. As long as you're above the threshold by end of October, it's always been granted in the past.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's always been about flying by that date, not having it posted by that date. As long as you're above the threshold by end of October, it's always been granted in the past.
Awesome thats good clarity - flying by the date not posted by the date.

Can anyone explain how I "choose my bundle" - I'm only E35k for early recognition this year, does it matter what I choose? The wiki thing at the top of the thread shows both bundles are identical?

Is there a strategy on what people generally choose as their perks/bundles?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
If you see yourself flying between now and February 28, 2018, choose the Aeroplan 35% bonus and/or e-upgrade credits in bundle #1 .

Ditto for bundle #2 .

For example, I just crossed E75K, and since I don't plan on flying AC until the summer, I chose the 75%, E35K for a friend, and for bundle #2 , I chose 5 MLL passes.

If this were for 2018, I'd choose the 75% bonus, more e-upgrade credits, and probably the travel options codes.

Originally Posted by yosemite1
Awesome thats good clarity - flying by the date not posted by the date.

Can anyone explain how I "choose my bundle" - I'm only E35k for early recognition this year, does it matter what I choose? The wiki thing at the top of the thread shows both bundles are identical?

Is there a strategy on what people generally choose as their perks/bundles?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
If you see yourself flying between now and February 28, 2018, choose the Aeroplan 35% bonus and/or e-upgrade credits in bundle #1 .

Ditto for bundle #2 .

For example, I just crossed E75K, and since I don't plan on flying AC until the summer, I chose the 75%, E35K for a friend, and for bundle #2 , I chose 5 MLL passes.

If this were for 2018, I'd choose the 75% bonus, more e-upgrade credits, and probably the travel options codes.

Okay so I found the bundle information chart so this is starting to make a little more sense. I have a few questions though

• I hit P25K today, but early recognition doesn't apply to this right? So do I need to select anything? If I do get to select something, what happens when I hit E35k next week? Do I select again?

• When I look at the chart, for me personally I see two options that are worth while: Bundle 1 with upgrade certs or Bundle 1 with Aeroplan bonuses. For clarity, I don't get to pick BOTH bundle 1 and 2 right? Just one or the other?

• Final question about the Aeroplan Bonuses - do these miles help me for 2018/9 re-qualification? (Like I'll need to get the miles next year again for 2019 if that makes sense)

• .... I lied, one more question, I guess the same thing goes - if I choose E35k bundles now, what happens at the end of the year when I hit E50k? Do I get to pick again?

Sorry im so uneducated
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
1. No early recognition for P25K

2. You get to choose 1/3 options for Bundle #1 , AND 2/3 from Bundle #2 .

3. The Aeroplan bonuses don't help with further qualification. It's the % of the base miles you earned flying AC (or applicable partner flights). They're redeemable miles for future reward flights.

4. When you reach E50K (if you reach the early qualification), you can choose again, albeit with the reduced credits posted in the wiki above.

Good luck! We all started somewhere.

If I had to guess, most FTers opt for the bonus miles and e-upgrade credits. As I do not buy flight passes, I just pick whatever from Bundle #3 .

Originally Posted by yosemite1
Okay so I found the bundle information chart so this is starting to make a little more sense. I have a few questions though

• I hit P25K today, but early recognition doesn't apply to this right? So do I need to select anything? If I do get to select something, what happens when I hit E35k next week? Do I select again?

• When I look at the chart, for me personally I see two options that are worth while: Bundle 1 with upgrade certs or Bundle 1 with Aeroplan bonuses. For clarity, I don't get to pick BOTH bundle 1 and 2 right? Just one or the other?

• Final question about the Aeroplan Bonuses - do these miles help me for 2018/9 re-qualification? (Like I'll need to get the miles next year again for 2019 if that makes sense)

• .... I lied, one more question, I guess the same thing goes - if I choose E35k bundles now, what happens at the end of the year when I hit E50k? Do I get to pick again?

Sorry im so uneducated
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I think AC's "bundle" terminology is counterintuitive. Many people think they are picking one bundle or the other (as above). You actually don't get a "bundle". The system is basically a cafeteria style custom-combo of benefits, where you select a prescribed number of items from three sub-menus. It is easier to understand when you are actually picking because the menus on the website make it clearer what the options are.

There is no selection for achieving 25K unless someone ends the year with less than 35K. Only then would they select benefits. That does not apply in this case..

The E35K benefits selected on early recognition are for now through February. Presuming you do not hit 50K before early recognition ends, in December/January, you will be invited to select benefits for the year starting March 1 based on the AQM and AQD you have at the end of December. If that is the same level (i.e., don't make E50K), you can choose the same or different combination of benefits as were selected for early recognition.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by vkk1406
I fly to DXB for work quite a bit now and already planned 2 trips before Feb2018. I just thought if I hit 35k now it'll help with maintaining the 35k for next year.
Im way above my 4000AQD and now stands at 7000+ AQD.

Im not 100% sold on if its even worth it to do.
Please define

- quite a bit, daily/weekly/monthly?
- flying Tango or J?
- are these two trips to DXB or in addition to, if so domestically Tango, Flex, TPAC PY, etc...

E35k is best for Dom and TB Y (Tango/Flex) transport. It's almost worthless for long haul J (or almost PY).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
1. No early recognition for P25K

2. You get to choose 1/3 options for Bundle #1 , AND 2/3 from Bundle #2 .

3. The Aeroplan bonuses don't help with further qualification. It's the % of the base miles you earned flying AC (or applicable partner flights). They're redeemable miles for future reward flights.

4. When you reach E50K (if you reach the early qualification), you can choose again, albeit with the reduced credits posted in the wiki above.

Good luck! We all started somewhere.

If I had to guess, most FTers opt for the bonus miles and e-upgrade credits. As I do not buy flight passes, I just pick whatever from Bundle #3 .

Awesome okay, so this makes sense now.
I'll be hitting E35K for early recognition, and I'd probably opt for the Aeroplan Bonuses and the e-upgrade credits like you say most of us do.
In December I"ll be hitting E50k and I'll probably choose AP Bonuses + Lower Re-qualification Requirements, and the e-upgrade credits.

It's too bad that the AP bonuses don't count towards AQM!!

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I think AC's "bundle" terminology is counterintuitive. Many people think they are picking one bundle or the other (as above). You actually don't get a "bundle". The system is basically a cafeteria style custom-combo of benefits, where you select a prescribed number of items from three sub-menus. It is easier to understand when you are actually picking because the menus on the website make it clearer what the options are.

There is no selection for achieving 25K unless someone ends the year with less than 35K. Only then would they select benefits. That does not apply in this case..

The E35K benefits selected on early recognition are for now through February. Presuming you do not hit 50K before early recognition ends, in December/January, you will be invited to select benefits for the year starting March 1 based on the AQM and AQD you have at the end of December. If that is the same level (i.e., don't make E50K), you can choose the same or different combination of benefits as were selected for early recognition.
Ah thank you so much too. You're right its a little unintuitive..

Is there a timeframe as to when you're supposed to select your privileges? I noticed there's supposed to be a default selection, but I wouldn't want to bank on that.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:00 am

776 miles to 50K

Hi to all,
Anyone have a tip for a cheap one day run for 776 miles before the early recognition cutoff? From YYC...
Cheers!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:08 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
If you don't need AQD, maybe check out UA to SFO or DEN. More miles than you need, but likely cheaper than doing AC to YVR in Flex. SFO is 1019, DEN is 848, so you would even have flexibility to buy a fare class that only earns 50%.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go have lunch in Vancouver. In flex or better.

Or Victoria.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:13 am

I think you can round trip in Flex (100% miles) to YVR for around $650-700

Edit: Pricing is the same if you are going to: Prince George, Saskatoon, Regina, Vancouver, Victoria.

and since you can do it in one day with a morning and evening flight, I'd go to a place you wouldn't mind walking around and eating at for the day!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:50 am
alc

OP - how much are you willing to spend?

To me, that is the very first question I would ask myself.

With < 1K AQM, there is always a "chance" AC will grant you the status without you doing anything. But as mentioned on another thread, this is no guarantee they will do the same this year.

AC also start offering status buy-up last year and I see no reason why they will stop this offering this year, but again, I don't work for AC and hence no guarantee again. Here is the thread for you to get some idea how much:

AC to allow status buy-up
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:53 am

Thanks Adam for the tip about UA. Just looking for help from the booking ninjas - I’d spend a few hundred bucks to get my *G early as I will travel to FRA a couple more times this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.